Breaks / Pomodoro / Combating "Zombie" Brain

brna0714brna0714 Alum Inactive ⭐
edited May 2015 in General 1489 karma
I was just curious about everyone's study techniques. My work schedule has recently changed (I'm currently a teacher and we're out of school here) and I am now able to devote the majority of my day to LSAT prep. Before the change, I was working primarily in the early mornings and in the evenings and didn't necessarily have long enough chunks of time available to become overworked, unfocused, etc. Now that I have 8/9/unlimited hours a day to study, I find that I am eager to get a lot done but definitely start to see diminishing returns toward the end of longer study sessions.

What do you all do to maximize effective study time and minimize "zombie" brain? Anyone a staunch advocate for the Pomodoro Technique? Anything else I should consider?

Thanks!

some text

Comments

• nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    My primary advice is eat bacon from happy pigs. Ideally something from a farmer's market or Applegate at a bare minimum. I find bacon is a major attention booster (3 pieces of pork jowl bacon is my current morning regimine). Add 2 tbsp of raw coconut oil to coffee daily. Drink a lot of water and cut carbs.

The brain is an organ. Food is fuel.
  • brna0714brna0714 Alum Inactive ⭐
    1489 karma
    @nicole.hopkins Bacon for my brain? I will certainly give it a shot. Worst case scenario... bacon. New, highly subjective question- Max number of hours one should study a day? I look forward to feverish debate centered around this topic.
    7965 karma
    I'd say 8 hours in one stretch (with lunch ... like a workday), 10 hours if you take a really substantial break in the middle. Or you could do 5 2-hour segments. I would not advise doing the same thing all day long. I suspect anything more than that is begging for burnout.
  • inactiveinactive Alum Member
    12637 karma
    @brna0714 said:
    Worst case scenario... bacon.
    More like BEST case scenario.
    7965 karma
    @"Dillon A. Wright" I believe that is AMERICAN bacon ... #treason
  • inactiveinactive Alum Member
    12637 karma
    @nicole.hopkins said:
    I believe that is AMERICAN bacon ... #treason
    ???????? that is HAM
    1489 karma
    @nicole.hopkins - I knew this thread would be helpful. My study schedule has been a little scattered so I recently devised a "clever" study schedule (Day 1-review fundamentals/new reading, Day 2-LR BR and drills, Day 3-RC BR and drills, Day 4-LG BR and drills, Day 5-Rest, Day 6-PT, Day 7-Cry?/review fundamentals) BUT yeah, doing the same thing all day is not really working out as evidenced by my current detachment from reality. Good point, good point.
  • blah170blahblah170blah Alum Inactive ⭐
    3545 karma
    @brna0714 First off, congrats on finishing the school year -- very much deserved!

Secondly, I agree with @nicole.hopkins said about studying in chunks. I typically study anywhere from 6-10 hours a day and study in 3-4 hour blocks. I also start my most demanding work in the morning (drilling, PTing) and save review for the evening.

This might be controversial but I also do not bring my laptop when I study unless I'm in an area where I can't get wifi. For me, if I have my laptop open, I will undoubtedly click ctrl+tab and start browsing the interwebs. I thought it was going to be a hindrance but there's a specific kind of potency associated with not having the answer at your finger tips that's proven tremendously useful for me.

Also, take the breaks you need. I'm an incredibly extroverted person so I like being around/talking to people though I typically study alone. During my afternoon lull, I'll call my mom, talk to my bf, or relocate to a coffee shop and make small talk with the person sitting next to me. I find that these moments that last no more than 5 minutes or so really re-energize me. And, if all else fails, take a 5-10 minute walk to get them endorphins going and soak up some Vitamin D.
    1489 karma
    @blah170blah Thanks! All of that sounds helpful and I will give it a shot. I use SelfControl (Cold Turkey on PCs) to block websites- imgur, facebook, TLS, 7Sage discussion forum (not!)-during certain parts of the day if I'm feeling particularly undisciplined. I don't know if I could give up the internet entirely for all of my study but I will try it for at least some of the time.
    7965 karma
    @"Dillon A. Wright" hahaaa ... one of the many institutionalized means of oppression we have developed to keep your people DOWN. or ... UP. yes, up there, in your cold cold north.
  • emli1000emli1000 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    3462 karma
    I usually studied from 9am-5pm with a break in between for lunch. After every 90 mins I would take a 15 min break and get back to it..
    1489 karma
    @nicole.hopkins - You'll be happy to know that my preptest pre-game ritual now includes bacon...

some text
    7965 karma
    @brna0714 said:
    @nicole.hopkins - You'll be happy to know that my preptest pre-game ritual now includes bacon...

some text
    I am exceedingly happy to hear this. Ugh that reminds me ... I'm out of bacon! And I gotta PT tomorrow! Hmmmmmm ... Sounds like I gotta make a trip ...