Thanks 7Sage! Non-Native Speaker (Chinese) Success - 162 (July) -> 176 (November)

martinxi679martinxi679 Member
in General 281 karma

I started LSAT preparation with 7Sage back in May, and I started with around -10 to -16 on RC. Having Chinese as my native language, I really coudn't see a way of improving RC since I had serious trouble just to understand the passage itself. 7Sage's low-res and main point method was incredibly helpful for me, and JY gave detailed explanations for each LSAT, which was even more helpful for me since my problem was not being able to comprehend the passages. After bombing my July test, I came back with a 11-point increase to a 173 on August-flex, and eventually ended up with this 176 on November-flex.

I would like to thank 7Sage and JY particularly for making this improvement possible. Lastly, here's a note for all fellow non-native speakers: trust yourself and really try hard for it, we as non-native speakers can achieve a 175+!

Comments

• canihazJDcanihazJD Alum Member Sage
    8313 karma

Awesome score, congratulations!

• Juliet - Student ServiceJuliet - Student Service Member Administrator Student Services
    5740 karma

Congratulations!

• J.Y. PingJ.Y. Ping Administrator Instructor
    13940 karma

愿原力与你同在

• cristobal.lealcristobal.leal Core Member
    17 karma

congrats man!!

• edited November 2020 1952 karma

yeahhhh! congrats!!!

• Da_WunDa_Wun Member
    72 karma

LOVE this, congratulations, really happy for you!

• Hopeful9812Hopeful9812 Member
    872 karma

Congratulations!!

• martinxi679martinxi679 Member
    281 karma

@"J.Y. Ping" said:
    愿原力与你同在

Wow, it's such a surprise to get my first ever reply from JY. BTW, that's an awesome Chinese phrase.

• dutchiebrowndutchiebrown Member
    170 karma

Amazing work!!

• Alice003Alice003 Live Member
    691 karma

Congratulations!! Thanks for your encouragement!

• Thank you JYThank you JY Alum Member
    328 karma

Grats! Thank you for the inspo!

• kingJZ180kingJZ180 Member
    22 karma

that's incredible! I am also a Chinese and non-English native speaker. I am struggling on RC so much. Could you share how you improved RC briefly? Thank you!

281 karma

@kingJZ180 said:
    that's incredible! I am also a Chinese and non-English native speaker. I am struggling on RC so much. Could you share how you improved RC briefly? Thank you!

Sure! You can message me or add me on wechat (martinxi679) to talk about it a little more.

• GTFOHLSATGTFOHLSAT Member
    76 karma

Congratulations man! I'm currently working on speed on my LG (consistently -0 in BR) and LR (-3 in BR). But I can't seem to wrap my head around RC. Even with unlimited time in BR, my best was still -9. Do you have any recs for how to improve on RC? Like did you read any nytimes or wapo articles or whatever to improve your comprehension skills? (Native Vietnamese speaker here; moved to US at age 16, now 26 yo.) Thanks a lot in advance!

• learn2skipQslearn2skipQs Member
    730 karma

killer. Congrats & well deserved

281 karma

@GTFOHLSAT said:
    Congratulations man! I'm currently working on speed on my LG (consistently -0 in BR) and LR (-3 in BR). But I can't seem to wrap my head around RC. Even with unlimited time in BR, my best was still -9. Do you have any recs for how to improve on RC? Like did you read any nytimes or wapo articles or whatever to improve your comprehension skills? (Native Vietnamese speaker here; moved to US at age 16, now 26 yo.) Thanks a lot in advance!

I read economist during LSAT preparation and I basically dig deep into the passages in BR and even after BR (knowing which questions I got wrong) before listening to JY's explanation videos. I personally believe that although trying to figure out what passages mean and why answers are wrong can be tedious and time-consuming, but the processing of figuring out yourself gives you much more improvement than simply getting the explanation from JY. I think deeper understanding and getting used to some LSAT tricks are important.

• This_is_HardThis_is_Hard Alum Member
    edited December 2020 815 karma

If he can do it, we can do it! No excuses for English speakers.

• 45 karma

Amazing. Congrats!!!

• fe314107468fe314107468 Member
    4 karma

真的强

• VerdantZephyrVerdantZephyr Member
    2054 karma

Congrats! It is definitely possible for non-natives to get those top scores. A non-native friend of mine recently got a 180. Don't let anyone tell you it isn't possible.

• GTFOHLSATGTFOHLSAT Member
    76 karma

@martinxi679 said:

@GTFOHLSAT said:

I read economist during LSAT preparation and I basically dig deep into the passages in BR and even after BR (knowing which questions I got wrong) before listening to JY's explanation videos. I personally believe that although trying to figure out what passages mean and why answers are wrong can be tedious and time-consuming, but the processing of figuring out yourself gives you much more improvement than simply getting the explanation from JY. I think deeper understanding and getting used to some LSAT tricks are important.

Thank you for this! Heard people read economist to improve probably 10 times at this point. Will subscribe to it!

• CRISPR24CRISPR24 Alum Member
    262 karma

@martinxi679 so thrilled to read your post and big congrats!
    Your journey reminds us all that LSAT is not simply a language test, instead it tests more on critical thinking and analytical skills. I know how much hurdles will there be for non-native speakers as I am one of them and still working on it. However you story proves again that regardless of our background and education, with great effort and diligence, we can conquer this test!

• lsatjourneylsatjourney Member
    207 karma

Could you share us about how your day to day looked liked, your study schedule and how worked through it?

281 karma

@lsatjourney said:
    Could you share us about how your day to day looked liked, your study schedule and how worked through it?

Since I worked full time, I really didn't follow a set schedule or something. I basically studied in most of my spare time while making sure I don't experience burnout. There were weeks I focused solely on drilling or speeding without any timed section, and there were weeks I took 3 PTs. I don't think a strict study routine is necessary as long as you keep yourself motivated.