Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Retake in January or wait until next cycle?

gomezcbgomezcb Member
edited December 2020 in Law School Admissions 8 karma

Hi all! I've been grappling with this decision for the last week or so, since receiving my November score. Before the official test i was PTing in the mid to high 160s but my ultimate score was 158. I had also taken it in October and scored at 146. I really want to apply to law school this cycle but I also have a full-time job until the end of January. I'm focusing on t-14s and have a 3.74 GPA so I know that I need a much better score than that. I'm just feeling a lot of pressure to apply this cycle from my family :(

I'm URM and really need that scholarship money so I think it would be best to wait and apply early next cycle to make sure I secure those scholarships but I've also been hearing that there are people with my score and background that could potentially get into top schools. Does anyone have any advice or thoughts? Would greatly appreciate! :)

Comments

• Iron-HanIron-Han Member
    184 karma

Following...I have these exact same numbers and have the same problem. Not a URM but I'm leaning towards holding off and applying next cycle so I can focus on getting a better LSAT score.

• 16 karma

I would wait. It is too late in the cycle at that point and you risk underperforming again. If I were in your position, I would take the LSAT in April at the earliest and reevaluate my study methods and test taking methods (for example, I used my PT test data to figure out I average -5 in RC when I highlight and a -3 when I do not highlight). PTs are also poor indicator if you tend to underperform on test day like I do. I was not able to score a 166 until my PT average was 169 and regularly hitting 170+ (my highest fresh PT exam score was 176ish).

Also, unless you're studying full-time, I think a 7-8 point jump in a month after your initial plateau is unrealistic.

• canihazJDcanihazJD Alum Member Sage
    8313 karma

January is still viable for an application, but going from a 158 to a score that will warrant high scholarship T14 admits is a tough one in 6 weeks, even as a URM. I'd just keep studying and let your scoring call your timeline.

• VerdantZephyrVerdantZephyr Member
    2054 karma

You can certainly still apply this year but I do not thing, URM or no, that you are getting any scholarships at T14 with those numbers unless you have some out of this world crazy softs. You can certainly still apply but I don't think you have a great chance at any T14 with those stats. If it is scholarship at T14 or bust you should plan for next cycle. Look into early decision programs with guaranteed scholarships as well. I know Northwestern has one with 40k a year guaranteed. If they like you, and there may be a bigger URM bump early in the cycle, not sure, than you might be able to grab one of those even if you are under the median. Hopefully though you can retake and get a fantastic score that is above median.

If you want to take a shot this year, nothing wrong with that, the worst that can happen is you don't get in and you can still reapply next year.