Flex -- Safeguarding Against Technical Difficulties

Burt ReynoldsBurt Reynolds Alum Member Sage
edited December 2020 in General 957 karma

I'm prepping for the January Flex and was hoping to get some tech advice. I had issues that caused me to cancel my November score (my connection was lost through ProctorU but my Wifi seemed fine...?). I've heard investing in an ethernet cord might be worth it. Thoughts? Other ideas?

Comments

• canihazJDcanihazJD Alum Member Sage
    8313 karma

A wired connection would be wise, but also there is only so much you can do. November was a huge test and there have been several reports of otherwise solid connections being "lost", to include IIRC wired connections. On the Nov Flex PowerScore podcast the nature of these issues led them to suggest that it was actually an issue with ProctorU's ability to handle the volume, which was just being passed off as an issue with the test taker's connection. I suppose if you wanted to be extra careful, you could try to book a lower volume test time/day. Whether that would be worth the hassle is an individual call.

• FindingSageFindingSage Alum Member
    2042 karma

Personally I had an issue with my newer MAC computer in August. There was apparently a known bug ( according to power score podcast) and I literally spent over 6 hours trying to connect the first day and never could. There was also an issue with Macs in May. On the makeup day after I had spent my own time with an Apple Genuis verifying there was nothing I was doing wrong the day before, it still wouldn't connect. After another two hours I ended up taking the test on a computer that literally hadn't been used for more than 6 months. It crashed during the directions. It somehow made it through the rest of the test but I was distracted. In November, I used my work computer and a fast internet connection and no problem. I am retaking in January and will be using a Dell and fast internet connection again. January will a much smaller administration than November, so that should help. I also wouldn't recommend scheduling your test on the last day. It tends to be more popular ( and more likely that Proctor U's servers can't handle the volume) but also if you have a problem it is harder to get a makeup scheduled. LSAC doesn't not give out makeups easily and it is stressful even trying to get one scheduled.

• aszane21aszane21 Member
    350 karma

@FindingSage could you give details on the Mac bug? Or point me to which PowerScore podcast episode its in?

• FindingSageFindingSage Alum Member
    2042 karma

Yes it would be the Powerscore episode where they go over the August Flex. Keep in mind there was a totally separate issue with Macs in May. ProctorU is not great with Macs. If everything goes like it should the flex is a better experience than in person tests but if it you actually have to troubleshoot expect that ProctorU pretty much reads scripts.

• kilgoretroutkilgoretrout Alum Member
    795 karma

this is something im worried about too bc if tech issues throw my jan test, that's my last test for fall 2021 admission

• Burt ReynoldsBurt Reynolds Alum Member Sage
    957 karma

@FindingSage said:
    LSAC doesn't not give out makeups easily and it is stressful even trying to get one scheduled.

This is great advice. This November LSAC offered me a retest, but they gave me 4 hours to respond and the retest would have been the next morning. I think it's definitely worth taking the test earlier rather than later.

• Burt ReynoldsBurt Reynolds Alum Member Sage
    957 karma

@canihazJD said:
    I suppose if you wanted to be extra careful, you could try to book a lower volume test time/day. Whether that would be worth the hassle is an individual call.

What do you consider lower volume test times/days? Early morning and late at night? Earlier tests rather than later tests?

• emmorensemmorens Core Member
    1470 karma

@kilgoretrout same here! Already a nervous test taker and now a little anxious myself about potential technical issues.

• canihazJDcanihazJD Alum Member Sage
    8313 karma

@"Burt Reynolds" said:

@canihazJD said:
    I suppose if you wanted to be extra careful, you could try to book a lower volume test time/day. Whether that would be worth the hassle is an individual call.

What do you consider lower volume test times/days? Early morning and late at night? Earlier tests rather than later tests?

I don't want to provide bad info, and can't recall right now (sorry!), but the PS podcasts for each test will give you an idea of how volume was distributed. If I needed to do this (I'm in a weird time zone so I don't) I'd start by comparing my time zone to EST and probable volume trends in that area, and then just reference the volume per day which is given in the PS podcasts. To emphasize the "worth the hassle" part of my previous comment, I don't think I'd do this if it conflicted with my personal optimal test time.