PTB.S1.Q7 - Generic drugs

axbSunDevaxbSunDev Member
edited December 2020 in Logical Reasoning 256 karma

This is hurting my brain. #Help

Comments

• Ashley2018-1Ashley2018-1 Alum Member
    2249 karma

Is this one of the super prep tests? I do want to help you but I don't think I have them

• Ashley2018-1Ashley2018-1 Alum Member
    2249 karma

I found it! So generic drugs contain exactly the same active ingredients as their brand-name counterparts, but it doesn't necessarily mean they are just as effective. This is a strengthen question, so we aren't trying to prove the conclusion but just take it one step closer.
    A.) The cost of the ingredients that make up the brand-name drugs being the same as the ones in the generic counterparts doesn't affect the argument
    B.) This answer gets at a potential gap in the argument: maybe generic drugs have some defect that brand-name ones don't. this answer choice eliminates that possibility and therefore strengthens the argument
    C.) this is talking about availability but we are trying to find something about effectiveness of generic versus brand-name drugs
    D.) this explains why brand-name drugs cost more: because companies have to invest in research which actually makes brand-name drugs look better than generic ones so this doesn't help
    E.) the frequency at which doctors prescribe the drug doesn't necessarily tell you anything about effectiveness of either one