Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Character and Fitness Question

arnisya97arnisya97 Alum Member
edited December 2020 in Law School Admissions 139 karma

Hi all! Hope everyone is staying safe and doing well. Lemme get to it.

As an undergrad, my friends and I were having a movie night and I used my laptop to stream a movie. Back then I was ignorant and thought that only downloading movies was illegal, while streaming them was okay.

Turned out the website I used was a file-sharing website and the next morning my school's IT department forwarded me an email notifying them that my ISP detected a potential copyright issue. I had to read a short article about why streaming movies on P2P websites counts as copyright infringement and take a quiz. They did mention this was more about educating me, and there would be no record on my file since this was the first and only instance.

Is this something I should disclose on the character & fitness section of my application?
Thank you!

Comments

• goforbrokegoforbroke Core Member
    320 karma

I am not an expert on this at all, but this doesn't seem like something you need to include. Unless of course you want the admissions people to know this is the most dangerous/outrageous thing you've ever done, implying that you are a good, rather boring average person. I'm not saying this sarcastically or in a mean way, as it may read like that. Just my two cents.

But it's not anything on record so it's up to you. But this doesn't seem like a serious issue to me.

• edited December 2020 1952 karma

wow. this sucks.
    my college used to tell people not to use "torrents" with the school's wifi and i did hear, from time to time, that some people would get in trouble for using torrents and downloading unsanctioned copyrighted material. streaming does not sound relatively worse.

however, depending on the schools to which you apply, some schools explicitly ask you to disclose all incidents, "even if no record of disciplinary action exists" (boston u law).
    emory law, as another example, says: "...even if the record was sealed or expunged...regardless of the outcome...you must disclose regardless of whether you have been told you need not disclose any such instance."
    to schools like these, i think you should disclose.
    i also think educating you on the copyright infringement is a "disciplinary action" taken by your school.
    boston university law uses their words broadly: "personal misconducts"; emory law uses: "social conduct violation" and "social actions while in college."
    you were not convicted of a crime or anything of the sort, but i think this would still count as a violation of a policy at your school (or something that prompted them to discipline you).
    further, schools like emory law also tell you to "when in doubt, please disclose."
    the very fact that you posted your question on here tells me that that's enough for you to disclose the incident to these schools.

on the other hand, i've seen more lenient schools. for example, george washington university law says: "you need not disclose any matter that has been expunged or removed from your permanent record or file."
    for schools like this, carefully consider whether or not you should disclose; maybe your dean at the pre-law advising office might be able to help.

with that being said, i don't think this is going to affect your chances of admissions too much, if any.
    the dean at the pre-law advising office at my school always used to say (i'm summarizing his words here): "petty stuff like drinking/partying/smoking pot won't be too detrimental to your app, because they know that every college kids do them. unless you've killed your roommate or committed any real serious crime, they won't kill you. disclose it, attach an addendum, and get it off your chest for the next three years of law school. you'll be fine."

if you don't have access to the pre-law resources at your school (or if you don't trust your school's advising office), consider 7sage's admissions experts. they also offer consulting by the hour: https://7sage.com/admissions/enroll-hourly/

hope this helps a bit, and good luck!

• canihazJDcanihazJD Alum Member Sage
    edited December 2020 8313 karma

@arnisya97 said:
    I had to read a short article about why streaming movies on P2P websites counts as copyright infringement and take a quiz.

As in you will read this article and do this quiz or be subject to further sanctions, or "here's some info about copyright laws".

For the latter I wouldn't worry about it at all. For the former, I'd just compare to specific C&F questions, and when in doubt disclose.

Either way it shouldn't give you any trouble.

• arnisya97arnisya97 Alum Member
    edited December 2020 139 karma

@goforbroke said:
    I am not an expert on this at all, but this doesn't seem like something you need to include. Unless of course you want the admissions people to know this is the most dangerous/outrageous thing you've ever done, implying that you are a good, rather boring average person. I'm not saying this sarcastically or in a mean way, as it may read like that. Just my two cents.

But it's not anything on record so it's up to you. But this doesn't seem like a serious issue to me.

Haha, no offense taken. Goody-two-shoes is very much my aesthetic. Thanks for your response! You helped settle my nerves :)

139 karma

@"LOWERCASE EVERYTHING" said:
    wow. this sucks.
    my college used to tell people not to use "torrents" with the school's wifi and i did hear, from time to time, that some people would get in trouble for using torrents and downloading unsanctioned copyrighted material. streaming does not sound relatively worse.

however, depending on the schools to which you apply, some schools explicitly ask you to disclose all incidents, "even if no record of disciplinary action exists" (boston u law).
    emory law, as another example, says: "...even if the record was sealed or expunged...regardless of the outcome...you must disclose regardless of whether you have been told you need not disclose any such instance."
    to schools like these, i think you should disclose.
    i also think educating you on the copyright infringement is a "disciplinary action" taken by your school.
    boston university law uses their words broadly: "personal misconducts"; emory law uses: "social conduct violation" and "social actions while in college."
    you were not convicted of a crime or anything of the sort, but i think this would still count as a violation of a policy at your school (or something that prompted them to discipline you).
    further, schools like emory law also tell you to "when in doubt, please disclose."
    the very fact that you posted your question on here tells me that that's enough for you to disclose the incident to these schools.

on the other hand, i've seen more lenient schools. for example, george washington university law says: "you need not disclose any matter that has been expunged or removed from your permanent record or file."
    for schools like this, carefully consider whether or not you should disclose; maybe your dean at the pre-law advising office might be able to help.

with that being said, i don't think this is going to affect your chances of admissions too much, if any.
    the dean at the pre-law advising office at my school always used to say (i'm summarizing his words here): "petty stuff like drinking/partying/smoking pot won't be too detrimental to your app, because they know that every college kids do them. unless you've killed your roommate or committed any real serious crime, they won't kill you. disclose it, attach an addendum, and get it off your chest for the next three years of law school. you'll be fine."

if you don't have access to the pre-law resources at your school (or if you don't trust your school's advising office), consider 7sage's admissions experts. they also offer consulting by the hour: https://7sage.com/admissions/enroll-hourly/

hope this helps a bit, and good luck!

Thank you so much for your thorough and sincere response. I will be taking this approach to the C&F questions. I really appreciate it! :)

139 karma

@canihazJD said:

@arnisya97 said:
    I had to read a short article about why streaming movies on P2P websites counts as copyright infringement and take a quiz.

As in you will read this article and do this quiz or be subject to further sanctions, or "here's some info about copyright laws".

For the latter I wouldn't worry about it at all. For the former, I'd just compare to specific C&F questions, and when in doubt disclose.

Either way it shouldn't give you any trouble.

Thank you! Yeah, it was mandated so I will be going ahead and disclosing. I appreciate your help. :)