Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why do they call passages “stimulus?”

BenjaminSakaBenjaminSaka Member
in General 214 karma

Isn’t it a bit silly that they created new, more intellectual sounding words for things which already exist? It’s a d*** passage! Just call it that, you pretentious assholes!

Also, “question stem” instead of question? They might as well call talking “idea exchange” and thinking “stimuli sorting.”

Haha, sorry. Rant over. Logical reasoning is kicking my ass.

Good luck on your studies!

Comments

• Auntie2020Auntie2020 Member
    552 karma

I think it depends on RC I would call it a passage, but for LR it definitely isn’t a passage because it’s a little blurb, so a stimulus sounds more fitting.

• BenjaminSakaBenjaminSaka Member
    214 karma

@Auntie2020 said:
    I think it depends on RC I would call it a passage, but for LR it definitely isn’t a passage because it’s a little blurb, so a stimulus sounds more fitting.

You’re right, but I prefer to be pissed at the moment.

How do you explain “question stem” rather than question though?

• Auntie2020Auntie2020 Member
    552 karma

Hahaha! I totally get it. This test makes everyone angry. An emotional rollercoaster, really.

Okay, so I think it’s a question stem to distinguish it from questions in the passage or in the stimulus. Sometimes they have those questions in there, and so people won’t get confused when they are referring to certain parts of the test.

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

Question stem refers to a unique part of the question as a whole.

The idea is to break the question into different parts: you have the passage/stimulus where you are being provided with the world and logic the question is relying on. Then the stem is what the question is asking you to do.

Saying "the question" is usually interpreted to mean both the passage AND the stem. It's designed for clarity.

• Ashley2018-1Ashley2018-1 Live Member
    2249 karma

I heard it was because it was supposed to stimulate my attention. It hasn't had much success with that though haha

• 1952 karma

on the other hand, who first started calling analytical reasoning "logic games"?
    what an influencer.