Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advice for Logical Reasoning?

I'm okay with RC, and I know that my LG will improve with practice, but I've really been struggling with improving my Logical Reasoning section.

Do any of you who have had success with that section have any advice?

Comments

• JPJ July2021JPJ July2021 Core Member
    edited December 2020 1532 karma

Have you read Loophole?

• daliaglomelidaliaglomeli Core Member
    117 karma

^^ Agreed. Loophole by Ellen Cassidy is a game changer for many. It's a little long but easy to get through. I'd say you should have a strong understanding of the basics (conditional rsn, questions types, etc) before reading the Loophole because she helps strengthen your understanding of LR, she doesn't necessarily teach LR. Easy to find on Amazon and I highly recommend. Good luck!

• hopefullinghopefulling Member
    edited December 2020 905 karma

Just keep practicing the questions and really analyze your interpretation of the stimulus, your reasoning for choosing the answer you picked, and the mistake(s) you may or may not have made in choosing that answer over the correct answer. Study your correct answers also, you'll learn from that reasoning process AND you can work to make sure it wasn't just a 'lucky guess' (at least until you're confident that it wasn't a lucky guess, then you can have confidence in your correct picks like that). Really looking at what you did wrong is the key. And after (potentially) repeating that same mistake a few more times, and noting it over and over again, you'll click and correct your approach. You might also click and correct your approach with the first wrong attempt, too!! :)

Blind review and a super-thorough analysis of the question and answers in blind-review (and post blind review, since that's when you'll try to correct over-confidence errors). Good luck!

Drill your weak spots, too, to work on correcting your approach, if need be - otherwise, to expose yourself to MORE of that type to really ace them.

• BenjaminSakaBenjaminSaka Member
    edited December 2020 214 karma

@hopefulling said:
    Just keep practicing the questions and really analyze your interpretation of the stimulus, your reasoning for choosing the answer you picked, and the mistake(s) you may or may not have made in choosing that answer over the correct answer. Study your correct answers also, you'll learn from that reasoning process AND you can work to make sure it wasn't just a 'lucky guess' (at least until you're confident that it wasn't a lucky guess, then you can have confidence in your correct picks like that). Really looking at what you did wrong is the key. And after (potentially) repeating that same mistake a few more times, and noting it over and over again, you'll click and correct your approach. You might also click and correct your approach with the first wrong attempt, too!! :)

Blind review and a super-thorough analysis of the question and answers in blind-review (and post blind review, since that's when you'll try to correct over-confidence errors). Good luck!

Drill your weak spots, too, to work on correcting your approach, if need be - otherwise, to expose yourself to MORE of that type to really ace them.

Thanks for the advice :smile:

I was thinking about LR today and I was thinking that my problem is probably mostly how I approach the question. I recently started studying for the LSAT, and I think I've gotten worse at LR since then due to trying to use inflexible strategies to deal with the questions.

To be more specific, what I did was try to process the information differently than how I usually read since normal reading will lead you to getting -7+ through intuition traps, and the new way just felt really inorganic. Got to try to adjust it. Also, I've been told both to read the question stem first and the stimulus first, and I feel as if I've been unintentionally doing a bit of both. I read somewhere that you can basically guess what the question is going to be just from reading the stimulus alone, and that sounds right to me. Going to try doing that when I blind review.

(Currently only reading the stimulus and applying the various questions that could be asked to that stimulus. I'm moving without reading the questions. Let's see how this works.)

• BenjaminSakaBenjaminSaka Member
    214 karma

@daliaglomeli said:
    ^^ Agreed. Loophole by Ellen Cassidy is a game changer for many. It's a little long but easy to get through. I'd say you should have a strong understanding of the basics (conditional rsn, questions types, etc) before reading the Loophole because she helps strengthen your understanding of LR, she doesn't necessarily teach LR. Easy to find on Amazon and I highly recommend. Good luck!

I'll check it out!

Thanks