Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does this topic count as a Diversity Statement?

tringo335tringo335 Alum Member

I am a URM and wanted to draft a diversity statement. However, my topic is not race related, but is based on a situation at work during my pregnancy where I was clearly discriminated against by my employer. Would this story count as a diversity statement? After I wrote it, I was worried it may come across more as a Personal Statement. Especially since, the type of law I want to go into is labor and employment and I tied the end of the statement into how the situation contributed to why I want to be a labor and employment lawyer. I know @"David.Busis" says this is a good thing to do in his admissions course, but I'm not sure if this would be right in this case.

Additional info: my Personal Statement also discusses why I want to be a labor and employment lawyer but the narrative is based on a situation I grew from while working as an HR practitioner.

Comments

• btownsqueebtownsquee Alum Member
    edited December 2020 1207 karma

Definitely - diversity statement doesn't need to be tied to race at all.

• dutchiebrowndutchiebrown Member
    170 karma

I agree, this is a really good approach as it's yours :)

• equallyyokedequallyyoked Alum Member
    374 karma

If you were discriminated against while pregnant, that’s awful!

I’m wondering though, if the board would see that as conditional because one day pregnancies turn into babies therefore begging the question of, “what would make you diverse giving birth?”

To me it does sound like something that could go into your “why law” statement or a personal statement in specific. Either way, it’s a story that should be told as it sounds like it has shaped or confirmed what you are passionate about. Gods many blessings!

• kilgoretroutkilgoretrout Alum Member
    795 karma

i would definitely tie it into your DS but i wouldn't make it the biggest focus. imo the main point of your DS should be why you're diverse and what that will add to the student/legal community. so you could briefly discuss it and then add that that experience gave you a more realistic/intimate perspective on labour and employment law!

• tringo335tringo335 Alum Member
    3679 karma

@kilgoretrout genius. thanks for the advice.