Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Urgent help please! RE: Fee waivers

arnisya97arnisya97 Alum Member

Hi guys. Hope all are well.

Certain schools have emailed me with offers of a merit-based fee waiver. They specified that I don't need to use any kind of code, and the application fee should be automatically waived when I go to checkout on LSAC.
However, when I tried submitting my apps last night my application fees weren't waived for some of the schools that had sent me such an email.

Has this happened to anyone else? Also, what do you think I should do...

1. Wait until admissions offices open next week and call them about this issue, then submit.
  2. Submit and pay now, then write/call them next week to ask for refunds.

I.E. Should I be submit ASAP because of rolling admissions, or submit a week from now to ensure I get these waivers? Does it even matter if I submit a week from now, since no one is in the admissions offices anyways?

Thanks so much y'all. <3

Comments

• edited December 2020 1952 karma

Has this happened to anyone else? Also, what do you think I should do...

yes, it kinda sucks. but it was a quick process once i gave them a call.

Submit and pay now, then write/call them next week to ask for refunds.

many schools will not issue refunds.
    i can think of chicago, georgetown (georgetown doesn't refund app fees "under any circumstances"), ucla on top of my head. i'm sure many others also have this policy, so i would check with your schools.

https://www.law.uchicago.edu/feewaivers
    https://www.law.georgetown.edu/admissions-aid/jd-admissions/first-year-applicants/application-requirements/application-fee-waivers/application-fee-waiver-faq/
    https://law.ucla.edu/admissions/jd-admissions/fee-waiver

Wait until admissions offices open next week and call them about this issue, then submit.

I.E. Should I be submit ASAP because of rolling admissions, or submit a week from now to ensure I get these waivers? Does it even matter if I submit a week from now, since no one is in the admissions offices anyways?

i think these questions are a bit tougher to answer.
    are these schools on top of your list that they're worth spending ~$85 for a potential increased chance of admissions that may or may not exist from submitting apps a week earlier before the break as opposed to a week after? (sorry about this sentence..)

i don't know how much of a boost you'd get from that 1 week, but i'd expect it to be pretty insignificant.
    though, it can still be a bit more significant than other times during the cycle, if there are other factors that come into play (such as schools getting more apps during the holiday season and your application potentially going to the back of the pile of the wave).

tough questions.
    but personally, if these schools are not my epic-top schools, i'd wait.
    if i don't get in, it probably won't be because my apps were submitted a week later; and i'd still have my $85 in my pocket to treat myself with a nice meal and a drink.

good luck!

• arnisya97arnisya97 Alum Member
    139 karma

@"LOWERCASE EVERYTHING" Ahh once again, thanks so much for such a thorough and heartfelt answer. You're awesome. This really helped give me perspective.