Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for an LSAT tutor ASAP

You_Got_ThisYou_Got_This Live Member

I am looking for a tutor to help me with logic games and the rest of the sections on the LSAT (LR and RC). The tutor that I have now is not responsive at all and I am looking for a tutor to help me. I am starting from scratch as if I do not know anything about the lsat. I am hoping to take the April lsats. Therefore I am looking for a tutor who is available twice a week until the April test date.

Comments

• canihazJDcanihazJD Alum Member Sage
    8460 karma

I'm sure there are would be no shortage of people willing to take your money, but your best bet is to focus on the CC or some other prep material set or course. A tutor is highly unlikely to be worthwhile at the beginning IMO. You don't need to pay someone hundreds of dollars to teach you say, question stem identification.

• You_Got_ThisYou_Got_This Live Member
    44 karma

Thanks for the comment. It’s tough trying to navigate LSAT studying and how to go about it. I’m not sure if self studying, getting a tutor or taking a course is the best route for me. Unfortunately I’m am new to this website and I’m not familiar with the abbreviations you’re using. I’ve tried reading the power score trilogy books which have helped a little but not a lot especially on logic games. I’m not sure what CC means or IMO, do you mind explaining/writing out the abbreviations.

• ConstantineConstantine Member
    edited January 2021 1329 karma

@canihazJD said:
    I'm sure there are would be no shortage of people willing to take your money, but your best bet is to focus on the CC or some other prep material set or course. A tutor is highly unlikely to be worthwhile at the beginning IMO. You don't need to pay someone hundreds of dollars to teach you say, question stem identification.

Please stop do that. Your advice is misleading. Just got a message from 7 sager, her first session with a tutor was on Dec 10. Her LR was -15 after 5 sessions -5 (on PT 77!).
    It took me months to get from -15 to -5. I would pay a thousand $ for such improvement. She spent less than $100.

• edited January 2021 1952 karma

i agree with @canihazJD
    i think that using a tutor at the very beginning of your prep might give you a less return on investment as opposed to getting one later or when you've plateaued and have no idea of what to do moving forward.
    but if you have the resources to do so, it is up to you and your experience might be different.

@All_about_consistency
    i'm going to assume here that you have not purchased the 7sage service yet (i don't see the sign next to your account.)
    spending your money on the 7sage service might be worth it at the moment.
    its logic games lessons and explanation videos are gold too, so i think it's a good idea to consider it since you've mentioned that you especially struggle with this section even after using powerscore.
    7sage's core curriculum lays out the curriculum pretty well and is easy to follow for beginners, in my opinion.

as to your other questions — "cc" stands for "core curriculum"; "imo" means "in my opinion"

if you're looking for a good and affordable tutor, here's the list of 7sage's approved tutors: https://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/4760/7sages-approved-tutors/p1

good luck!

• sabdi10sabdi10 Free Trial Member
    40 karma

@Constantine said:

@canihazJD said:

Please stop do that. Your advice is misleading. Just got message from 7 sager, her first session with a tutor was on Dec 10. Her LR was -15 after 5 sessions -5 (on PT 77!).
    It took me months to get from -15 to -5. I would pay a thousand $ for such improvement. She spent less than $100.

That's not what he's saying. He's simply advising that he or she try self-studying before seeking out a tutor. Not everyone needs a tutor, and spending hundreds on a tutor who won't do much to help is a complete waste. How you do through self-study sessions will tell you if you need a tutor or not.

edited January 2021 1329 karma

That's not what he's saying. He's simply advising that he or she try self-studying before seeking out a tutor. Not everyone needs a tutor, and spending hundreds on a tutor who won't do much to help is a complete waste. How you do through self-study sessions will tell you if you need a tutor or not.

"Advising that he or she try self-studying before seeking out a tutor." That's exactly what I'm against! She/he asked for help to find a better tutor. A good tutor is much better than self-study.

• sabdi10sabdi10 Free Trial Member
    40 karma

@Constantine said:

"Advising that he or she try self-studying before seeking out a tutor." That's exactly what I'm against! She/he asked for help to find a better tutor. A good tutor is much better than self-study.

That depends on who you ask. Self-studying may work better for you than a tutor. Again, where you find yourself after self-duty will determine if you require a tutor. If this person feels a tutor is needed, a tutor is needed.

• Ashley2018-1Ashley2018-1 Alum Member
    edited January 2021 2249 karma

I don't think she should totally exclude tutoring; she should give it a try and see if it works. When I started studying, so many told me I didn't need a tutor and so I self-studied but found that I needed help, help that couldn't come from pre-recorded videos or free explanations. I wish I had been advised to be open to tutoring from the very start so I wouldn't have struggled for as long as I did.

edited January 2021 8460 karma

@Constantine said:

So for someone who does "not know anything about the lsat", you believe they should hire someone to explain basic concepts to them that are readily available at a fraction of the cost if not for free?

@sabdi10 @"LOWERCASE EVERYTHING" yes, correct. How does one with no exposure 1. know they need a tutor, and 2. that a tutor they hire is actually teaching them things that are beneficial?

@Constantine you are of course entitled to your own opinion. Mine is that a blanket statement like "A good tutor is much better than self-study" is far more misleading than suggesting someone take a look at the material first. That's like telling someone who hasn't taken orgo or biochem yet to go get themselves an MCAT tutor.

I will leave the fact that your argument is based on the message from a single 7sager and a comparison of that single experience to yours alone.

@All_about_consistency here's a practical example of something to watch out for if you go with a tutor. Anyone that gives pushes blanket A is better than B statements, or "my way" is "the way" is something to be wary of.

My take is that a tutor is meant to augment your studies and help you in areas you find difficult. Not to teach broad curriculum. That quite literally is what teachers and classes are for, and a "good" - since we're throwing the term around - tutor will tell you "I can definitely teach you this if you want, but you could just learn it from a class or book for less. If you encounter problems with the material I would be happy to help with that", which is taken directly out of emails that I send to prospective students every day. I believe that not at least pitching this is highly illuminative of a tutor's motives... which fine it's a business and people's livelihoods, but the bottom line is when taking on a student with zero experience, you are choosing your wallet over their progression. Not because you can't teach it to them, or even teach them potentially better... but there's no way to know, and by just saying yeah I'll take your money you withhold from them information that would have allowed them to make a more informed decision.

Now if you've got the money tho throw around, that's great. A personal teacher can definitely be beneficial. More or less than some other form of prep? That's subjective and for you to decide. Just be wary of the difficulties of finding a tutor that will meet your specific needs, including the proliferation of people who have no business tutoring and are just trying to make a quick buck.

So no @Constantine I will not "stop do that". In fact when anyone with little to no experience with this test asks for help, I will most definitely point them in the direction of the core curriculum or something similar so that they can gauge their needs before blindly spending money they may not need to, and because the CC is fucking great. If you have something more than an anecdote that one 7sager's progress on one PT outpaced your own to support your stance, I would love to hear it... always down to be learn something new.

44 karma

Thank you everyone for your advice. All of it is greatly appreciated. Thank you @"LOWERCASE EVERYTHING" I will definitely purchase 7sage very very soon. I actually self studied for 2 months on LG using powerscore before getting a tutor. My intentions were to get a tutor that could help me better understand LG possibly more faster and in an easier way. I often question if the way powerscore teaches LG’s is the only most efficient and effective way of doing it. Unfortunately my tutor was not really responsive to my needs as a student in regards to learning new and easier ways of doing LG. I felt even more confused after our several sessions. So I’m looking for a tutor who may know possibly easier and quicker ways of completing LG. I personally spend too much time on each questions for LG. So hopefully I can learn new techniques and strategies.

edited January 2021 44 karma

Thank you @canihazJD for the advice. My progression is what is most important and if CC can help me, I will definitely use that as a resource before looking else where. My apologies if I was not clear. I am knowledgeable about the lsats, when I say “scratch’’ I mean a tutor that can teach me a different way of how they would answer LG questions versus how powerscore may teach it. I am new to this website and I didn’t know that my post would have so many responses/comments. If I had known that, I would have been more specific and more detailed in my initial post. Nonetheless everyone’s input is appreciated.

8460 karma

@All_about_consistency said:
    Thanks for the comment. It’s tough trying to navigate LSAT studying and how to go about it. I’m not sure if self studying, getting a tutor or taking a course is the best route for me. Unfortunately I’m am new to this website and I’m not familiar with the abbreviations you’re using. I’ve tried reading the power score trilogy books which have helped a little but not a lot especially on logic games. I’m not sure what CC means or IMO, do you mind explaining/writing out the abbreviations.

Back to the thread, and sorry for derailing it.

If you have done the powerscore bibles, my recommendation would be to take a PT (if you haven't yet) to see where you are... unless you overwhelmingly feel like those books did nothing for you. If you feel like you absorbed little from the bibles, you might want to take a look at the core curriculum or some other materials to see if it was a matter of the style of presentation. We all learn differently, and certain materials that work great for one person may not resonate with another.

If you want to look into tutoring I'd be happy to elaborate on some of the points I made earlier re:finding one that works well for you. Just shoot me a DM.

It's hard to say more without knowing exactly what issues you're experiencing, but I tend to agree with @"LOWERCASE EVERYTHING" in that if you're going to spend the money, the core curriculum seems like the best bet.

1329 karma

So for someone who does "not know anything about the LSAT", you believe they should hire someone to explain basic concepts to them that are readily available at a fraction of the cost if not for free?

Did I use "should"?
    What does it mean to explain "basic concepts"? Can you just take one Passage, LR question or game and work with it?

And I already answered your question ("I would pay a thousand $ for such improvement" see above). I would prefer to have a good tutor from day one.

1329 karma

@"ashley.tien" said:
    I don't think she should totally exclude tutoring; she should give it a try and see if it works. When I started studying, so many told me I didn't need a tutor and so I self-studied but found that I needed help, help that couldn't come from pre-recorded videos or free explanations. I wish I had been advised to be open to tutoring from the very start so I wouldn't have struggled for as long as I did.

Yes, I have the same experience, this advice did hurt me as well ("many told me I didn't need a tutor").

8460 karma

@All_about_consistency said:
    Thank you @canihazJD for the advice. My progression is what is most important and if CC can help me, I will definitely use that as a resource before looking else where. My apologies if I was not clear. I am knowledgeable about the lsats, when I say “scratch’’ I mean a tutor that can teach me a different way of how they would answer LG questions versus how powerscore may teach it. I am new to this website and I didn’t know that my post would have so many responses/comments. If I had known that, I would have been more specific and more detailed in my initial post. Nonetheless everyone’s input is appreciated.

Good luck. I think you’ll like the CC. The PS bibles did nothing for me at first too, but I got a lot more out of them after I did the core curriculum.

Feel free to reach out for help!