Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

omg i want to cry

whatsmynamewhatsmyname Member
in General 606 karma

I thought I had mastered LSAT Games until I started doing the newer PTs.
Games after 60 are killer. My fundamentals are strong and there are some odd sections where I get decimated.

Comments

• BenjaminSakaBenjaminSaka Member
    214 karma

I actually thought that the older PTs had some odd LGs which made them more difficult... Either way, I'm sure you'll figure them out if you had the older ones figured out :smile:

• VerdantZephyrVerdantZephyr Member
    2054 karma

@whatsmyname Definitely don't stress, even if you have been consistently having trouble with the newer games you'll learn and master them the same way you did the old. No worries. Hang in there.

• cullenleacullenlea Core Member
    edited January 2021 22 karma

Don't fret. Do what I did: just get really good at finishing the first two games very quickly. I can get through the first two games in most tests in around 10-12 minutes. Then, you have a huge bulk to figure out the difficult last two.

I did this by drilling, drilling drilling. Literally go to the resources section, go to problem sets and pick a first game. Give yourself the regular 8:45.
    Try to get lower than that. Review to see what you got right and wrong. Do it over and over. Soon you'll be getting 5-6 minutes, I promise. Now add a game 2 to the set. Drill drill drill until you're under the 17:30. (You'll be well under).

The best part is that these games are all built from the same fundamentals. So while you're drilling them you begin to see patterns and inferences come to you more quickly. When you're able to get through the first two in 10 to 12 games you then have 23-25 to do the last two. They may even be easy and you have time to review!

• Burt ReynoldsBurt Reynolds Alum Member Sage
    957 karma

Remember that the FLEX is made of older, undisclosed sections. The 70s-80s aren't necessarily representative/predictive of what you'll see come test day. Also -- if you come across a difficult game, try to see it as an opportunity to earn points that most test takers won't get. Stay true to the FL method and trust yourself!

• whatsmynamewhatsmyname Member
    606 karma

@"Burt Reynolds" @cullenlea @VerdantZephyr @frankbnakasako
    hahah sorry guys, it was late and I was frustrated. Stayed up all of new years solving LG games. What a nice, supportive group of people you all are!

:smile: We got this!

• knoghs2022knoghs2022 Member
    44 karma

Hey! I hit a similar roadblock during my LG prep. My best advice is do sections untimed and take your time to figure out a game, even if literally one takes you 40 minutes. Don't worry about time right now just on honing your thinking to attack some of these more difficult games. I know people say don't redo sections but I think thats dumb, you can redo the same section of games a few weeks later and I you'll be fine. I'd also say use the feature in the problem set page on 7Sage to specifically look up certain game types (I did this for miscellaneous games) and sometimes just practice a ton of one type of game! I hope this helps, you got this!

606 karma

@knoghs2022 said:

I'd say most sections are fine, there are odd sections where I get destroyed. What's a good --LG? I'm at -3/-4, usually. Maybe if I get lucky I can go -0 on exam hahah

• VerdantZephyrVerdantZephyr Member
    2054 karma

@whatsmyname What a good goal is really depends on your score goals and where you are with your other sections.

• jwk291291jwk291291 Member
    249 karma

Also! Remember that the newer LGs don't require you to make as much upfront deductions as the old ones do. It's really trending towards finding deductions while solving the questions.

606 karma

@joonwookang said:
    That's a nice distinction to point out. For studying, my bread and butter was 1-40. I left the new ones for PT practice. I suppose I like having all of my connections made and sorted out before starting with answers, but some games demand that you work them out on the fly and without any splits. eg. game 4 on PT 68, what a nasty game.

606 karma

@joonwookang said:

That's a nice distinction to point out. For studying, my bread and butter was 1-40. I left the new ones for PT practice. I suppose I like having all of my connections made and sorted out before starting with answers, but some games demand that you work them out on the fly and without any splits. eg. game 4 on PT 68, what a nasty game.

606 karma

@VerdantZephyr said:
    @whatsmyname What a good goal is really depends on your score goals and where you are with your other sections.

-2 to -4 across all sections. I wonder how much return I will get on my study from here on. I feel like I've maxed out 6 months in. I'd have to put in another 2-4 months to get a 180, but that would force me to apply for next cycle. If I'm lucky maybe I'll pull a 170 on the Jan Flex. 165 for sure (I think - shouldn't speak too soon)

• ekgarrison00ekgarrison00 Member
    23 karma

Also remember that even though there are some outlier games, the recent tests have been based around the fundamental game types - linear, grouping, etc. Even if those outliers come up, they'll only ever be a minority of the section. You've got the fundamentals down so you're in good shape for the majority of the section!

606 karma

Thanks.

Honestly, with proper full-time systematic study it's not a difficult test to do well in (mid 160s+); you definitely don't need to dish out 1k for a course. The climb to the peak comes with diminishing returns on time for sure.

I can imagine it becomes significantly more difficult if you've got a full time job, kids, others to take care of etc - those are the real heroes here.