Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Unusual LG Personal Issue

ayesha1234ayesha1234 Core Member

I've been studying for the LSAT for several months now. The section that is the most inconsistent for me is LG-- sometimes, when the games are relatively easier, I'll fly through them and get them all correct. Other times, if they're more difficult, I will get seriously frustrated and mess up that game OR I can overcome it and get the questions related to that game correct. It's really no telling.

I tried to do the foolproof method to fix this issue. I think I've foolproofed at least 15 whole sections of LG already, and those games I can get -0 in, no problem. But every single time I do a new section and a game is harder than usual, I will completely mess up the whole section. When I go back and do it again-- even without reviewing it or watching the video-- I will be able to fly through it with no incorrect answers. I know this is a strange problem, one that I'm assuming comes from test-taking anxiety, but does anyone have any advice on how to handle it? Has anyone else had this problem?

Comments

• Ashley2018-1Ashley2018-1 Live Member
    2249 karma

Same, especially when I get a "weird" or "random" game. It just blows my entire section

• mnkimmnkim Member
    137 karma

Accept the fact that there may be games where you don't get every question correct. If you come across a difficult game that might cause you to sink time, skip it and come back later. Don't let that one game ruin the rest of the section. Especially if it's a game you've never seen before and you're not sure how to approach it.

I usually need a perfect LG section to hit my target score, but I tell myself that a particularly difficult LG section will mean at least one of the other sections will be relatively easy or the curve will be more generous to calm my nerves.

• Burt ReynoldsBurt Reynolds Alum Member Sage
    957 karma

I was like this for a long period of time @ayesha1234 -- for me personally, I think nerves were destroying my ability to settle in during timed sections. I found giving myself more structure/strategy was really helpful.

Personally, I peak at games 1 & 2 before deciding which one I'll do first. This allows me to tackle the game that will build my confidence (and save the most time), then I'll proceed to the next game. I treat games 3 & 4 like this also. It's a way of ensuring that I'll build confidence going into the most difficult game. So essentially I have two "mini" LGs sections. I like the structure of it. For some reason, it keeps me calm.

I definitely don't have all of the answers, but I hope this helps!

• kamelbrooklynkamelbrooklyn Alum Member
    36 karma

You have to stop, take a breath, and remember that this is the LSAT. There is a finite amount of game types. There is a definite way to graph it, and make sense of it in your head. If you're having trouble charting it out, look at some of the answer choices, and how theyre ordered. It's okay to regraph, or start over.
    If a game perplexes you immediately, do the other games first. Get your guaranteed points in before you spend all your time on the riskier ones. And practice the "misc" games. Those are the games that don't have a surefire method and those are the ones people consider hard. What always seems impossible to me, seems rather possible after I stop and take a few breaths and think about it.

• lsatjourneylsatjourney Member
    edited January 2021 207 karma

Hey @ayesha1234,

I know it can be quite frustration when you have worked several months towards a goal and invested so much emotions and time. And then getting thrown off by a particular LG section/Game. It is daunting to see how much one game can throw off a score. However, instead of focusing on that, I have personally learned to follow the below steps in order to get through this issue.

1. If you are caught off guard by a question type, and you are not sure how to approach it, and you try to recall what you did in the past but are unable to pick anything up from your memory bank. You quickly change your thinking cap and wear your creativity cap on. How would you approach this in a normal word puzzle on a news paper. What facts do you have in front of you and what is the best way you can draw them out. So instead of trying to fit the question into a particular category or type. Just go ahead and try to fit into it with whatever comes natural to you.

2. Think about it for a min and if it doesn't come to you, skip it and move on. Come back to it, try your best and if you are not able to, then just flag it. That's the whole point of learning process. You take a note pad and note this question type and start evaluating.

3. Evaluate why you couldn't do it, is it something from the core that you need to sit with and internalize better or is it you are not experienced in this particular game time or difficulty level. I would use the question bank, or sometimes JY lists similar questions in the explanations below to practice on. Sit down for couple of days and fix this issue before moving on to anything else. Slowly start eliminating your weaknesses by evaluation, practice, elimination.

4. If it is a test anxiety and you have struggled with it in the past. I would suggest getting yourself evaluated by a professional and see if you can qualify for accommodations.

• ayesha1234ayesha1234 Core Member
    40 karma

@"Burt Reynolds" said:
    I was like this for a long period of time @ayesha1234 -- for me personally, I think nerves were destroying my ability to settle in during timed sections. I found giving myself more structure/strategy was really helpful.

Personally, I peak at games 1 & 2 before deciding which one I'll do first. This allows me to tackle the game that will build my confidence (and save the most time), then I'll proceed to the next game. I treat games 3 & 4 like this also. It's a way of ensuring that I'll build confidence going into the most difficult game. So essentially I have two "mini" LGs sections. I like the structure of it. For some reason, it keeps me calm.

I just tried this method, and finished a section in 25 mins with no incorrect answers! It is definitely too soon to say whether this method fixes the problem, but you're so right that peeking at the other games helps to alleviate anxiety and structure the section in a way that is conducive of my game type strengths. Thank you!

• swanganieswanganie Yearly Member
    edited January 2021 294 karma

@"Burt Reynolds" said:

Interesting strategy; I'm bookmarking to try this later. Thanks for sharing.

Great discussion in the comments from everyone on stress and tips to manage it. Nerves can creep up, even if we don't notice it. I'm in the same boat; -1/-0 during BR and any timed drills but also noticing my full PT LG score can very easily takes a hit.

@ayesha1234 said:
    I just tried this method, and finished a section in 25 mins with no incorrect answers! It is definitely too soon to say whether this method fixes the problem, but you're so right that peeking at the other games helps to alleviate anxiety and structure the section in a way that is conducive of my game type strengths. Thank you!

Sweet improvement! Keep drilling with a couple harder sections; would love to hear how using this strategy goes for you.

• Burt ReynoldsBurt Reynolds Alum Member Sage
    957 karma

@ayesha1234 said:

@"Burt Reynolds" said:

but you're so right that peeking at the other games helps to alleviate anxiety and structure the section in a way that is conducive of my game type strengths. Thank you!

Happy to help! Best of luck moving forward.