Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Most Strongly Supported Questions

I have done so many MSS questions and I am continuing to always get them wrong. Even easy ones. I feel like there isn't a great lesson on how to really execute MSS questions. With Must be True types, we can "fact check" and with other types there are ongoing reasoning structures that we can rely on. With MSS, I feel like they are so ambiguous. I always get to the last two answer choices and then guess wrong. With MSS, there so many ways to reason out of the right answer choices. Any good advice on how to tackle MSS? Thanks!

Comments

• MartianmanMartianman Core Member
    211 karma

Typically the answer is a summarization of the stimulus or relates to a strong statement in the stimulus. Try and anticipate the answer - this helps you avoid falling into the clever traps of the wrong answers.

Rule of thumb if you're stuck between two answers choose the weaker answer and move on.

Avoid answers
    - that have strong language - for example stimulus says "it has been shown car maintenance reduces cost of repairs" and a wrong answer which is too strong may say "car maintenance is the best way to save money" or "car maintenance always saves money"
    - that say what would've happened
    - causal fallacies for correlations detailed in the stimulus
    - say that because something happened once it will happen in all cases
    - invalid comparison/analogy

• axbSunDevaxbSunDev Member
    256 karma

@Martianman said:
    Typically the answer is a summarization of the stimulus or relates to a strong statement in the stimulus. Try and anticipate the answer - this helps you avoid falling into the clever traps of the wrong answers.

Rule of thumb if you're stuck between two answers choose the weaker answer and move on.

Avoid answers
    - that have strong language - for example stimulus says "it has been shown car maintenance reduces cost of repairs" and a wrong answer which is too strong may say "car maintenance is the best way to save money" or "car maintenance always saves money"
    - that say what would've happened
    - causal fallacies for correlations detailed in the stimulus
    - say that because something happened once it will happen in all cases
    - invalid comparison/analogy

Thank you!