Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anxiety taking over :(

kswyz169kswyz169 Core Member

I am taking the LSAT- Flex next Tuesday. Though I have scored a 165 on PTs, since then I have been scoring dramatically low for my standards (150s). I think this is because of my anxiety and overthinking. I have been approved for accommodations, but my brain still isn't making this easy. In other words, I know I can do well, but am I getting in my own way/ how do I stop that?? Please help :( I am very stressed

Comments

• yazzie711yazzie711 Core Member
    19 karma

Hey Kristen! From what I've seen most people actually see a significant score decrease the weeks coming up to the test because of the nerves so this is completely normal. I'm doing my test on Saturday and was struggling, burnt out, and my scores were dipping hard! But I've starting doing a ten minute meditation before every preptest and I can honestly say it works for making me less nervous and more able to absorb and answer the questions.

• canihazJDcanihazJD Alum Member Sage
    edited January 2021 8313 karma

• kemu8460kemu8460 Member
    29 karma

Hi, I'll echo what Yazzie said. My scores TANKED the weeks before my first LSAT, but the test itself was fine! I think I got in my own head about it. Try some untimed sections or sections you already know to help build back some confidence

• 23 karma

meditate

• cpeaks13cpeaks13 Core Member
    496 karma

@canihazJD thanks for that post !

• amarieq17amarieq17 Member
    4 karma

same here! my therapist told me to take in an even number of breaths in and breathe out double that. so if you breathe in for 2 seconds, then breathe out for 4 seconds. i find it really useful

• cjrousseau7cjrousseau7 Core Member
    14 karma

I'm in the same boat. I feel like I'm drowning in my anxiety and cant sleep most nights. One thing that actually helped me was to stop studying. I actually take it on Tuesday too. The prep tests just stressed me out so I stopped doing them since I'm a week out and have focused on other things. My anxiety has been MUCH better.

• emmorensemmorens Core Member
    1470 karma

I'm feeling the same :( my reading comp score has tanked this week and its making me so anxious. I went back to the basics and am watching JY go through the passages to sort of 'retrain myself'. It's definitely putting me at ease! I also agree with meditation

• amandapvamandapv Member
    45 karma

I have also experienced a scary drop in my scores from 170+ to two 166s in a row (this is my second go at the test). This actually also happened to me last time (I was doing low 170s and then started scoring significantly lower closer to the test) and I think that by letting it affect me I hurt my performance in the test (ended up with a 166 which was lower than my average). This time around when that started happening I took a full 48h break, went back to basics for a day (diagramming, reading and annotating passages) and did much better on the next PT. I took my last PT today (I'm scheduled to test next week) and I got a 173. Positive thinking is so important and I won't make the same mistake of beating myself down like last time. Convince yourself that you're as ready as you can be for this upcoming test (ie. fake it till you make it if need be). And like JY said in his motivational post, there are second chances with the LSAT.

Good luck to everyone!!!

(also writing this motivational message made me feel better too so maybe try writing down reasons why you should feel confident)

• _iamnw96_iamnw96 Alum Member
    437 karma

I feel safe in this thread lol

• CRISPR24CRISPR24 Alum Member
    262 karma

I would be lying if I do not have spiking anxiety, music helped me a lot. Try your favorite music, take some time walking in the nature, and try to be at present with yourself.