Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Withdraw before admissions decision?

Hi all, I have completed a number of applications but, for various reasons (including an upcoming amazing employment opportunity, the fact that I submitted most applications less than a month ago, the fact that I'd need significant scholarships, and an LSAT score near the lower of my PTs) I am considering withdrawing those applications and reapplying for the 2021 cycle if the employment opportunity does not come through.

I understand that that withdrawing after acceptance can be seen quite negatively if you later reapply, but I'm wondering whether the same would be true for withdrawals made prior to any decision. Anyone have experience of this, or thoughts? Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• 16 karma

Honestly i think you need to decide if you really want to go to law school. then you need to decide if working is better for you than going to law school immediately. this may seem odd but that something no one can answer for you. But if it was me i would wait and see where i get accepted and if they offer any scholarships. if their is one thing to take from this its: Dont count your chickens before they hatched.

• noonawoonnoonawoon Alum Member
    3481 karma

I'm not sure what benefit you would get out of withdrawing instead of waiting for a decision? You already paid for and worked on your apps, might as well get a result.

• jtd12345jtd12345 Member
    edited January 2021 30 karma

Thank you both!

@KnackPaddyWack : you're right, the decision of whether or not I actually want it is a big question. The 'employment' opportunity is a fairly selective fellowship that would really help my resume (and finances) that I will not be able to reapply to, so that's the logic of going for that and putting off law school. But your advice is definitely true, especially about counting chickens!

@noonawoon : the thing is, I've read (on this site, I believe) that it looks bad (or schools will see it negatively) if they accept you, you turn them down, and then reapply later. One fear is that I get accepted somewhere I'd be interested in but get no/very little money, or I get this amazing (but temporary) employment opportunity and turn down places I'd actually like to attend later. Does that make sense? My thinking is, this way, I'd be in a better position to apply (and get scholarships) either this fall if I don't get the appointment opportunity and in a year if I do.

• RyanazRRyanazR Member
    208 karma

@jtd12345 I have read in LSAT forums on reddit that it is fine if you defer, as long as you have a valid explanation. You can let them know that you would love to attend the school, but you don't have sufficient funding and loans past a certain number is not an option, so you hope to work for a year and then enter the law school in the subsequent year.

• jtd12345jtd12345 Member
    30 karma

@RyanazR Thank you for your response, and that's good advice. I'll probably do that and be careful with the phrasing.

• RyanazRRyanazR Member
    208 karma

@jtd12345 No problem. Definitely get someone you trust to look over your email too. You got this!