Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

⚖ Official January 2021 LSAT-Flex Discussion Thread ⚖

Comments

• serenafrankserenafrank Member
    47 karma

@acquadiice said:
    does anyone know if you can wear a headband?

Just need to show your ears!!!

• 117 karma

@jillharding1014 yep, completely threw me off.

• cmoren21cmoren21 Member
    edited January 2021 217 karma

@"kat.evans" said:
    I had LR, LG, RC. I thought RC was dense as well! LG was easy, but I feel like I bombed LR!!! I blanked for the first 5 questions. I was so confused with how the questions were worded and I couldn’t focus. It was my first section and I was scared. It felt like the countdown kept going and I couldn’t move through any of the questions fast enough. I’m hoping that they curve a few questions. I know this test is designed to make you feel stupid after taking it, so there’s still the possibility that even though you feel you did horribly, you actually did quite good. I’m hoping that’s the case. I’m praying for us all!!! Lol”

I really hope that’s the case! So i think that I was so nervous for LG that it just made it harder to concentrate on the two sections before it. I’m hoping that this is a significant curve :(. Whatever score we do get doesn’t define our potential to be great attorneys in the future!

• 793090211793090211 Member
    5 karma

Hi,when did you take the test? Jan 17th? Thx!> @RolandOfGilead said:

I thought the first RC passage was incredibly difficult (African cloths) and in hindsight I should have skipped it right off the bat. I tried to power through it and didn't have a firm grasp of what I was reading at all during it. Really hope I was able to get 50% of those questions right at least. I snapped out of it and thought the rest of my RC section was fair. My LR was also manageable, only had to guess on the last one. Same with LG. Wasted too much time on game 4 and had to guess the last question, but felt fine otherwise.

Overall I think I probably went -15. Hoping that puts me right around a 165, which is right in the range of my PTs (163-168). I was hoping to have an incredible test day experience and break into the 170s, but I really don't think that happened, unless my autopilot for passage 1 in RC was perfect.

• Juliet - Student ServiceJuliet - Student Service Member Administrator Student Services
    5740 karma

@LawCoach said:
    What type of comments would be acceptable?

Hi there,

You can't mention the question type or ask what the answer was, but you can list the topic. For example, you can say: "the LG with the "flowers" was a bit challenging."

I hope this helps!

• cpccall608cpccall608 Free Trial Member
    140 karma

Those of you who sat for the test already, how are you easing your post test anxiety? I can’t stop thinking about everything I did wrong, what I know I messed up, and calculating possible scenarios to hit my goal score. I need to relax, but it won’t leave my brain!

Any tips to make it to Feb 3?

• Ozzy SheikhOzzy Sheikh Member
    115 karma

@cpccall608 go and get takeout from your favorite restaurant, get a dessert, and watch a movie

• DanielMacTavishDanielMacTavish Alum Member
    161 karma

I took my test Sunday morning, and I guess I am the only person here that had LG, LR, then RC! Lol. LG was just about where you could expect in terms of difficulty, increasing slightly with each game. Last game I had to guess on four questions even though I got to it with a little over 8 minutes remaining. Bummer.

LR was a little more difficult than I had anticipated. At least in comparison to my October LSAT Flex. I don't think I bombed it, but I felt less confident coming out of it than other LR sections.

RC was moderately challenging, although I think the fact that I know a bit about, and enjoyed, the subject matter of the passages helped me out a little bit. Luck of the draw in that respect. I had the passage about the Big Bang Theory/ever expanding universe, and the only other topic I recall was about Japanese-American immigrants and their culture.

If you had this test, did you think it was particularly difficult in any regard? I think that overall, it was what you could expect. Hope you all did well and good luck to you!

• kilgoretroutkilgoretrout Alum Member
    795 karma

To those who took it, how did this test compare to your August flex experience? I know there were a lot of different kinds of tests but overall I think Powerscore said August was pretty hard. Just curious

• 66 karma

@cpccall608 said:
    Those of you who sat for the test already, how are you easing your post test anxiety? I can’t stop thinking about everything I did wrong, what I know I messed up, and calculating possible scenarios to hit my goal score. I need to relax, but it won’t leave my brain!

Any tips to make it to Feb 3?

I took it on Saturday and have had this feeling since. To be honest, it's gotten better over time. I started to remember more of the LR questions that I know I got right. I thought about similar PTs when I completely bombed 2 of the games and still got an acceptable score, and how the one RC passage I struggled with wasn't as bad as those PT games. I started to remember to trust myself and that even on the ones I guessed, I had a proven guessing strategy and sometimes you just do get lucky.

Also, if you haven't done your LSAT writing yet do your writing. Not only because it is needed to get your score back, but I honestly found my LSAT writing to be pretty fun to do and I thought I did really well at it. Not that a good writing sample makes up for a bad score, but it just made me feel good about myself and put the good writing sample, more than the test performance, in my brain front and center.

• mister homister ho Core Member
    edited January 2021 19 karma

i know that we're allowed to use 5 sheets of scratch paper total, but are there any restrictions on how they're allocated? eg if i write on all 5 sheets during the games section, am i allowed to use any remaining space for lr and reading? or am i prohibited from using those sheets again once the section's done?

795 karma

@"mister ho" said:
    i know that we're allowed to use 5 sheets of scratch paper total, but are there any restrictions on how they're allocated? eg if i write on all 5 sheets during the games section, am i allowed to use any remaining space for lr and reading? or am i prohibited from using those sheets again once the section's done?

You can use them however you want!

• Creed228Creed228 Member
    11 karma

@DanielMacTavish said:
    I took my test Sunday morning, and I guess I am the only person here that had LG, LR, then RC! Lol. LG was just about where you could expect in terms of difficulty, increasing slightly with each game. Last game I had to guess on four questions even though I got to it with a little over 8 minutes remaining. Bummer.

LR was a little more difficult than I had anticipated. At least in comparison to my October LSAT Flex. I don't think I bombed it, but I felt less confident coming out of it than other LR sections.

RC was moderately challenging, although I think the fact that I know a bit about, and enjoyed, the subject matter of the passages helped me out a little bit. Luck of the draw in that respect. I had the passage about the Big Bang Theory/ever expanding universe, and the only other topic I recall was about Japanese-American immigrants and their culture.

If you had this test, did you think it was particularly difficult in any regard? I think that overall, it was what you could expect. Hope you all did well and good luck to you!

I had the same format. I felt like the difficulty of the LG were pretty predictable like you said. The LR section was more difficult, but the RC was super dense. I felt like the passages were super long and more than half of the sections had a lot of questions in it. The stress of trying to make sure I got all of the questions answered may have affected my accuracy a little bit, but I hope not. I'll just keep my fingers crossed.

• acquadiiceacquadiice Core Member
    121 karma

@blue_spirit said:

@acquadiice said:

wore a headband during my test today! you can

i wore one too... proctor told me to take it off... -_-

• acquadiiceacquadiice Core Member
    121 karma

@serenafrank said:

@acquadiice said:

Just need to show your ears!!!

i did and proctor made me take it off

• lythshahinlythshahin Free Trial Member
    8 karma

I didn't even know this thread existed lol, after a few days to decompress I have to say my first LSAT did not go how I expected (not in a bad way). I took my test bright and early Saturday Morning, I knew my anxiety would get to me if I did it any later in the day or the week. Anyways, I had taken the 4 days before the test off work so I solidified a wake-up routine that seemed to help a lot. I took the 2 days before the test to myself and did not think about the LSAT at all. I struggled to fall asleep the night before because of course I did but was able to get a solid six hours.

So there I am, it's test day...and I'm not nervous? I was shocked, rather than my usual anxious self I was excited to start the test. So I get all set up, go to the bathroom and get ready for the test. I'm able to sign on about 5 minutes before and connect with my proctor, we go through the check in and I am able to start my test just 13 minutes past my scheduled time. My order was RC- LG - LR which was like the worst haha. I wanted to knock my LR out first but you go with the cards you're dealt. I used 2 different approaches to my RC essays but it went as well as I could have hoped, and I had to rush the last essay with only 6 minutes to work on it. LG went smoothly, a few brain farts here and there, but my nightmare scenario hit! I had to pee! I asked my proctor if I could use the minute I had left in LG to run to the restroom, but unfortunately I could not. So I had to power through the section that, for me, requires a lot of focus while needing to pee worse than I ever had before. I was able to bury the urge for the first 15 or so questions of LR but the last 10 where nightmarish. But its all chill.

Overall, I wish I didn't bring a drink into the test with me because that definitely didn't help my need to pee. I am really glad I had a solid morning routine that helped me a ton. I have no idea how I did on my test, it felt pretty standard with how I have been practicing but it could have definitely gone really poorly (also could have been amazing). So I have no idea. Overall, I feel confident in my abilities and I probably got the score I deserve. Even if it's not the score I want it's gonna be okay, it's not the end of the world and I can always take it again.

Hope everyone's test went well! Was kind of anti-climactic for me, but I don't think that's a bad thing. Good luck to all those studying, just don't over think things and try to do things for yourself when it comes to test week. Who knows where you'll find your confidence.

• GracethewinnerGracethewinner Alum Member
    64 karma

@cmoren21
    Thanks you! That was what I needed the most to ease my nerves before the test.
    I'm gonna repeat several times myself that "Whatever score we do get doesn’t define our potential to be great attorneys in the future!". Wish you the best :)

• PatrickGeorgeAFPatrickGeorgeAF Alum Member
    51 karma

Does anyone else just randomly have LR questions popping into their head from the LSAT Flex all day or is that just me?

[Making a morning shake, internal] "Ah, that stupid Shakespeare question! Why'd I switch my answer?!"

• k_mitch22k_mitch22 Core Member
    13 karma

@nw_39796 said:
    Are all the exams this week the same, or are they variations?

@RolandOfGilead said:
    I thought the first RC passage was incredibly difficult (African cloths) and in hindsight I should have skipped it right off the bat. I tried to power through it and didn't have a firm grasp of what I was reading at all during it. Really hope I was able to get 50% of those questions right at least. I snapped out of it and thought the rest of my RC section was fair. My LR was also manageable, only had to guess on the last one. Same with LG. Wasted too much time on game 4 and had to guess the last question, but felt fine otherwise.

Overall I think I probably went -15. Hoping that puts me right around a 165, which is right in the range of my PTs (163-168). I was hoping to have an incredible test day experience and break into the 170s, but I really don't think that happened, unless my autopilot for passage 1 in RC was perfect.

In reading all these examples, I definitely feel like there are multiple different sections for each, and combos thereof. It sounds like I had similar to the experience above, but LG-RC-LR (my worst possible order - ideally I’d have RC, LR, LG). The last game really knocked me off kilter, and then I opened RC to find the densest, longest passages (all in one section) that I’ve come across, with none of them seeming easy breezy (usually at least one is a breeze for me). By the time I got to LR, my brain was hurting. It was basically worst case scenario for me, and I put in a more than reasonable amount of prep.

The more I read this forum, the more sad I am that I didn’t get one of the other versions. I hate the luck element of the LSAT. I was really hoping for 170, but I know that I DEFINITELY didn’t make that, and will be lucky if I hit 165 even.

• ConstantineConstantine Member
    edited January 2021 1320 karma

Did anyone actually take the test on Saturday or Sunday using Windows 7?

• cmoren21cmoren21 Member
    217 karma

@Gracethewinner said:
    @cmoren21
    Thanks you! That was what I needed the most to ease my nerves before the test.
    I'm gonna repeat several times myself that "Whatever score we do get doesn’t define our potential to be great attorneys in the future!". Wish you the best :)

You got this! Trust in yourself and the hard work you have put into this. Good luck!

• evanescenceevanescence Core Member
    194 karma

@cmoren21 said:

@"kat.evans" said:
    I had LR, LG, RC. I thought RC was dense as well! LG was easy, but I feel like I bombed LR!!! I blanked for the first 5 questions. I was so confused with how the questions were worded and I couldn’t focus. It was my first section and I was scared. It felt like the countdown kept going and I couldn’t move through any of the questions fast enough. I’m hoping that they curve a few questions. I know this test is designed to make you feel stupid after taking it, so there’s still the possibility that even though you feel you did horribly, you actually did quite good. I’m hoping that’s the case. I’m praying for us all!!! Lol”

I really hope that’s the case! So i think that I was so nervous for LG that it just made it harder to concentrate on the two sections before it. I’m hoping that this is a significant curve :(. Whatever score we do get doesn’t define our potential to be great attorneys in the future!

>
    You couldn’t have said it any better! I’ll have to continue telling myself that :). Hopefully we all messed up on the same LR questions so they can trash them (or better yet, our guessing game was strong and we actually did better on LR than we think)!

• asdf12345asdf12345 Member
    271 karma

Just took the international test omg i think i messed up the lr and rc but i had so much time for lg

• Things Fall ApartThings Fall Apart Core Member
    15 karma

Just took the international test as well (LR-LG-RC), it felt significantly easier than the October Flex, specifically RC and LG were much easier. LG felt really basic especially. Maybe I was just in a better position this time around, though. Nerves and all more under control. I'm gonna have a beer. Congrats to everyone finishing this round and here's to hoping it's the last.

795 karma

Taking the test today at 12:30. So nervous I don’t know what to do with myself. Hopefully I calm myself down soon. Wish me luck everyone

• mwatso89mwatso89 Alum Member
    34 karma

@kilgoretrout said:
    Taking the test today at 12:30. So nervous I don’t know what to do with myself. Hopefully I calm myself down soon. Wish me luck everyone

GOOD LUCK!!! I am writing in 45 mins ahh. I recommend going on a walk if you can (listen to music or a podcast etc.) I find it shocks my brain and really really REALLY helps me focus

795 karma

@mwatso89 said:

@kilgoretrout said:

GOOD LUCK!!! I am writing in 45 mins ahh. I recommend going on a walk if you can (listen to music or a podcast etc.) I find it shocks my brain and really really REALLY helps me focus

haha i just went for a walk! GOOD LUCK on your test. everything will be fine.

• hopefullinghopefulling Member
    905 karma

@Constantine OMG, how horrible! I actually had to go out and buy a new laptop for the Flex (but, knowing that I'd need it to run the LS exam software in the future helped with that decision v just borrowing one). I hope they're able to fit you in later in the week: Friday?? in the hope that you can find a solution - borrowing a computer (yikes) or having to buy one.

I can't seem to get the Writing to work ... but I'm going to try again today ...

• nanabillannanabillan Member
    347 karma

CAN Someone help me? Having RAM issues and ProctorU is not helping. Test is in 30 MINUTES #help #admin

• emmorensemmorens Core Member
    1470 karma

@nanabillan hey! are you using a mac? I had the same issue. If you are, download the app Memory Diag from the app store and launch it. You press a button and it finds memory and closes out ram

• sabdi10sabdi10 Free Trial Member
    40 karma

Just finished the FLEX test, so some fresh mental observations:

This test felt much easier than the October LSAT or many of the practice tests I took. I would've preferred doing LG first but I got that last (LR-RC-LG). RC's science passage, which I usually suck at, was not too bad of a read. I also found the stuff about diplomats to be more challenging. LR didn't feel hard, but there were some questions that I felt stuck on. As for LG, that section felt incredibly easy, but be cautious. There are some tricky questions.

Good luck to all those who have yet to take the test.

• whatsmynamewhatsmyname Member
    edited January 2021 606 karma

Low-key, high-key felt like I bombed that.

LR-RC-LG

LR was easy, didnt pace properly and had to half guess last 2 questions. All answer choices seemed clear. It helped that it was first section.

RC - physics, poet, evasion, diplomacy - for once I enjoyed all of the passages in a section. The text was breezy, the questions were questionable.

LG - fucking disaster, and this was the section I was overprepared for. First game neglected a simple rule that forced me to rediagram and double check answers. Last 2 games I did not understand.

• carolyn.fcarolyn.f Member
    56 karma

Looks like I had a similar test version to several above - LR, RC, LG. I thought LR was markedly harder than other LR sections I've taken but my LR score rarely fluctuates so maybe I was just nervous? RC was pretty standard, I had big bang, kafka, evasion and diplomacy and thought diplomacy was difficult. LG was weird - I guessed on a couple for the last game but I did end up having time to go back and fix some earlier games that I initially was confused on. All in all NO IDEA how I did but it felt better than my first test so fingers crossed???? Lol

• TheMommaBearTheMommaBear Member
    edited January 2021 348 karma

@whatsmyname said:
    Low-key, high-key felt like I bombed that.

LR-RC-LG

LR was easy, didnt pace properly and had to half guess last 2 questions. All answer choices seemed clear. It helped that it was first section.

RC - physics, poet, evasion, diplomacy - for once I enjoyed all of the passages in a section. The text was breezy, the questions were questionable.

LG - fucking disaster, and this was the section I was overprepared for. First game neglected a simple rule that forced me to rediagram and double check answers. Last 2 games I did not understand.

Anyone want to discuss the inferences? Perhaps over PM?

We had the same exam except order. Mine was LG-RC-LR. I panicked with LG and bombed the entire section.

RC was decent. Least enjoyable was evasion for me.

LR was relatively easy. Only a few questions needed flagging.

My plan was always to retake in either June or next Fall/Winter so I have some time to improve my games. This test was a complete write-off because I wasn't adequately prepared though.

Good luck and hope you did better on LG than you think.

• Tima1998Tima1998 Core Member
    24 karma

Just finished..... the LG i had was not bad at all... except for the last game about the damn chapters (16-18 or whatever)... i had no idea what to do
    RC was okay, i'm not overly confident in how i did but i dont think i sucked either.. i DO know that the diplomat passage was my worst one... i had to guess on a lot of the answers... i hope i made up for it with the other 3 passages
    LR feels like my best section, it was not too bad

606 karma

@Metz9944 said:

@whatsmyname said:

Easy fucking exam, should've aced it honestly. Such a disappointment. The games were easy, I can't believe I froze up.

I'm retaking around summer as well. Such a shame though

• TheMommaBearTheMommaBear Member
    348 karma

@whatsmyname said:

@Metz9944 said:

@whatsmyname said:

Easy fucking exam, should've aced it honestly. Such a disappointment. The games were easy, I can't believe I froze up.

I'm retaking around summer as well. Such a shame though

Definitely don't beat yourself up over it. With more skills training you'll do better. Not panicking is a skill too. We'll get there!

1470 karma

omg I feel like I messed up, I froze on LR. Did anyone think LR was kind of weird? I couldn't focus :(

• strugglestruggle Member
    34 karma

Just got out of the test.....have no idea how to feel!! Does anyone think this Flex is curve-worthy??
    LG-RC-LR was my order which worked out well. LG was pretty standard with nothing too crazy--increasing difficulty. I went into the fourth game with like 13 minutes to go so that was reassuring. I had a decent amount of time to check my answers. RC was dense af but I randomly score well on hard RC sections??? Hoping the curve helps me. The first passage was about the Big Bang Theory and it was really dense. LR was also standard. Don't know how to feel....good luck to everyone else!!!!

606 karma

@struggle said:

Honestly, I don't think it was curve worthy. LG was easy (even though I failed under pressure), LR was straightforward, and the passages were good too.

I spent a lot of time on the big bang passage too. They were all interesting passages so I think this was overall an easy exam when I compare with some of the other's I've PTed.

• mmlegal1mmlegal1 Member
    22 karma

LG-RC-LR. Usually preform best in LG so this was a plus. Got tripped up on the first Game where it consisted of 7qs but was able to move thru it a bit longer than warranted. 2&3 games were pretty standard, only guessed on one Q. 4th game looked challenging, but I made a ton of inferences and used BF to really get thru them. LC felt okay, I actually enjoyed the passages. LR I started to lose some focus around Q 16. It wasn't astronomically harder than the 80 LR sections. Some of the wording and setups used felt similar to the upper 80s for some reason.

1470 karma

Did anyone have an African/South American crocodile question in LR?

140 karma

I had LG second, and am so bummed because they were very straightforward to doable yet somehow I was on game 3 and only had 6 minutes left. Idk where the time went! This made me panic and I ended up guessing on at least 5 Qs (I can’t even remember). I’m bummed because I should have easily gone -2 on LG, but it probably brought me down so much.

edited January 2021 606 karma

@cpccall608 said:

same, same, sigh. If it wasn't for that the exam would've been perfect.

I suppose its different when its the real thing.

which games did you get?

140 karma

@whatsmyname said:

Hoping some of the guesses were right!

One about locked buildings and one about paintings and sculptures from diff centuries.

• ntereza3ntereza3 Member
    22 karma

I had LG-LR-RC and the first three games of LG were straight forward but I realized that with my nerves I had miswritten a rule in the first game which had seven!7! questions. So with 8 min left to start my last game, which was very weird, I answered the first three of five questions, guessed on the last two and redid the first game. I usually go -1 for lg so this was a big hit but im hopping I made up for it with the other two sections. For anyone who hasn't taken the exam yet re-read your rules for the love of whatever you believe in. As for the other sections, LR felt very comfortable I only didn't have time for one question, and RC was dense with a lot of questions but doable. I was rushing for time but still had 8 min to do the last passage which had 7 questions. So make sure you pace yourself. Good luck!

• Nice_homeNice_home Member
    edited January 2021 83 karma

With all these seemingly different versions of sections floating around, how in the world do they come up with the scaled score that pieces them all together fairly???

606 karma

@cpccall608 said:

@whatsmyname said:

Hoping some of the guesses were right!

One about locked buildings and one about paintings and sculptures from diff centuries.

I got the paintings, the one with the lower levels, and the one with the reviews.

606 karma

@Nice_home said:
    With all these seemingly different versions of sections floating around, how in the world do they come up with the scaled score that pieces them all together fairly???

There are charts for the questions and sections, they weigh them and they average the overall difficulty. They're different, but the scales are consistent

• forthewinwinforthewinwin Member
    edited January 2021 117 karma

Just wrote the one today. LG-LR-RC.

My Proctor claimed that he couldn't see me, so he paused the whole exam to transfer me to tech support, right after I read one of the RC passages. By the time that was all sorted, I already had forgotten some of what I read. Had to guess 3-5 of the questions as a result... and they were for the passage I had the easiest time understanding. Sigh

As for the content of the exam itself:

LG: 1st game was easy; 2nd and 3rd were easy to understand, but each question time-consuming to do. The last one with the papers and pages was very odd, and took some time to understand. There was no previous question anywhere like it you could had practiced on.

LR: Worded oddly, but not extremely difficult. Had to re-read a few passages to actually understand them.

RC: I found the question about medieval instruments the most painful one to digest - it was simply content I did not have any interest in and had difficulty understanding. The Physics vs. Chemistry one the most interesting one, but the technical issues ruined it for me.