LSAT - Regressing

malloryatxmalloryatx Member
in General 77 karma

I am in panic mode - which I know isn't going to help the situation. I have been scoring in the low-mid 160s for months. I take my second LSAT next week and my last practice test was a 148, lower than the first PT I ever took! I get test anxiety already, so this isn't helping. Has anyone else experienced regression like this?

Comments

• kkole444kkole444 Alum Member
    1687 karma

Hello @malloryatx
    to me it sounds like you are 'burnt out'. I have been there, most everyone has and it sucks because you want to study more because of a score drop but the more you do the worse it gets. Also it is only one exam and to have a drop like that I think something else might of happened technical or interrupted or something else. If that was not the case I would identify what the problem was and take a few days off. If it is impossible for you to get the lsat out of your head like myself, I would do little things that do not consume much work, like write down every type of LR question there is, then write the process you would use to go about solving the question along with different styles of the same type. for example strengthen question we identify the premise, conclusion, see where the assumption is and find an answer choice that strengthen the conclusion, whether that is blocking a objection or building a bridge from the premise to conclusion. And finally there argument by analogy, cause effect, phenomenon hypothesis. I would write down what to do on the analogy, cause effect, phenomenon hypothesis as well, all under the strengthening question type. then I would move to a different type f question. Also I have done very simple games on days where i need a break. But on the days where I force myself to forget the lsat I come back way more well rested and motivated to learn. I have found the quality of study is just as important and the amount of studying.

• PlatinumPlatinum Member
    363 karma

Maybe you just had a bad test day? Don’t let that mess with your focus. Stay focused, remember to breathe in between each passage and during each passage and through out the test. When you start to get anxious do “Combat Breathing."

Here's how four-count combat breathing works:

Inhale through your nose, expanding your stomach for a count of four — one, two, three, four.

Hold that breath in for a count of four — one, two, three, four.

Slowly exhale through your mouth, contracting your stomach for a count of four — one, two, three, four.

Hold the empty breath for a count of four — one, two, three, four.

Repeat these steps until you regain control. It may seem like that is a lot of time wasted, but the return on investment of 16 seconds or so will really you get back to focus and regroup your thinking. As far as that test; review it thoroughly and understand where you made the mistakes. Mistakes are where we continue to learn. You can do it!

• hopefullinghopefulling Member
    edited January 2021 905 karma

It might be that: A) you're squeezing in too many PTs without giving yourself enough time to fully review each, or maybe (most likely!!) it was just a harder PT (when I first took PT75, my score dropped 10 points - I recently took it again and it was still lower than other recent PTs (but, thankfully, not by much - but STILL, it was a retake ... it hit some still weak spots).

It was probably the PT. Is it possible for you to take another Flex PT to try to boost up your morale before the actual test (since, squeezing too many in might be another culprit to regression, eek)? Then, you could more comfortably put this bad test behind you before your 2nd LSAT. I would not take time off before next week. If you do, going into the actual test might make you more anxious. If you stick at a strong pace (pref the pace you're currently working at), the actual test will be the more 'everyday familiar.' (to a point!!) Luckily, since this is your 2nd time, your test day anxiety will hopefully be less just from having dealt with PU before. Good luck!!

• bellamaxbellamax Member
    edited January 2021 68 karma

I was in the same position before my LSAT in October! My practice tests during the two week leading up to my exam were well below my average and I was really freaked out by the drop. Looking back now, I was definitely burnt out and I took a few days off to just breathe and do non-LSAT related things (not even reviewing or doing practice sections, even though I really wanted to). I came back stronger than before! Highly recommend taking a break, especially since the test is soon. You don't want to be worn out on test day.

• malloryatxmalloryatx Member
    77 karma

Thank you, all! I think I am going to take tonight off - maybe do a few easy LGs but overall just relax and get my mind right :)

• This_is_HardThis_is_Hard Alum Member
    815 karma

I am having the same problem as you! Don't worry you aren't alone. For w.e. reason I was telling my self to do a PT every 2 days until test day. Bad Idea! Did progressively worst, anxiety levels high, and near depression. Now I'm doing one every 3 to 4 days and I am within my average range as before! So as others have said take a couple days off!

• cullenleacullenlea Core Member
    22 karma

You may be burnt out and need to take a break depending on your test date. If not, just chalk it up to having a bad test day. You'll recover! Do so by compiling a list of easy questions. Ace them and get your confidence back. This test is such a mind game, don't worry!

• Nice_homeNice_home Member
    83 karma

I'm in the Same Boat. Don't panic. What helped me so far is that I have a graph of my test results over time, and I clicked "trendline" for the graph (Google Docs), and the overall trend is up. Even though certain results are terrible here and there (even below the diagnostic) however the "trendline" is up. Sounds like it would be the same for you. Therefore, keep grinding. I would not take too much of a break since it's near test date (my personal approach). Keep grinding, real results will come from the process.

• out-liar12out-liar12 Core Member
    28 karma

It made me feel so much better to know that someone was going through the same thing as me!! I write on Tuesday and I also scored a 148 last week. It ruined the entire night and I was too upset to do anything after scoring around 160 consistently for the last number of weeks before that. This week I am working on small improvements and just being comfortable with where I was at before that score. Don't worry M you got this!!

• whitemc94whitemc94 Free Trial Member
    2 karma

I know this is a little unorthodox of a response. I also got really bad test anxiety. And no, burn out does not cause anxiety, it’s nerves. Here’s what i did:

1. Watch your caffeine intake. You want to dose it slowly and throughout the entire test. I diluted down an energy drink with electrolytes and water.
    2. Breathing can help, but limited. Take the one minute break and take deep 5 second breaths. Don’t hold a section against yourself.
    3. MOST IMPORTANT. I started taking Lions Mane, a nootropic, mainly for memory recall. But it also has a calming effect for me and cut my test anxiety way down. I don’t get overly jittery anymore. It’s really the key for me.

Hope this helps. I hate test nerves

• BenjaminSakaBenjaminSaka Member
    214 karma

I had a big event occur in my life and it threw off my rhythm. I felt like I was reading gibberish for the first couple of sections on a PT I took. I just had to accept that I was going to do awful and work through it til I got my rhythm back. Also needed to put the LSAT back in perspective in relation to my life goals so I had a good reason to focus.

• 137 karma

Hang in there and all the best on your test.

• AlissaleeAlissalee Free Trial Member
    86 karma

Hi! I also struggle with anxiety and a panic disorder. I ended up scoring a 176 in October 2020. I was using a checklist for every question so that I had no doubt on how to solve it and also had a method on what to do if I felt stressed or struggled with a question. Having a clear strategy for everything mitigated all my stress because I had a clear plan and direction so that I would not spin my wheels and make the most of the time. Making the most out of your study time is important as well. I studied for about 6 months averaging 2.5 hours a day. For example, I would focus all my energy on one question type per week and know it inside and out and then every time I encountered that question I knew exactly what to do. I would do a question and time how long it took me to get it. Then, more importantly, I would spend about 10-20 minutes on the one question to analyze the stimulus, how it was constructed, and the answer choices. It's just as important to understand why an answer is incorrect and HOW they are trying to trick you as it is to understand the correct answer. After writing notes and tips for myself, I was better able to identify patterns in reasoning that allowed me to go much faster--and more accurate--on the real test. Depth is far more important than doing PT after PT and it also helps with avoiding burnout from doing question after question for 5 hours. You really only need about 10 pt's to fully understand each question type and drill it. I'd be happy to give you more information and help you develop a strategy if you message me. Best of luck!

• derry.karen6derry.karen6 Core Member
    134 karma

@"forbes.lissa" said:
    Hi! I also struggle with anxiety and a panic disorder. I ended up scoring a 176 in October 2020. I was using a checklist for every question so that I had no doubt on how to solve it and also had a method on what to do if I felt stressed or struggled with a question. Having a clear strategy for everything mitigated all my stress because I had a clear plan and direction so that I would not spin my wheels and make the most of the time. Making the most out of your study time is important as well. I studied for about 6 months averaging 2.5 hours a day. For example, I would focus all my energy on one question type per week and know it inside and out and then every time I encountered that question I knew exactly what to do. I would do a question and time how long it took me to get it. Then, more importantly, I would spend about 10-20 minutes on the one question to analyze the stimulus, how it was constructed, and the answer choices. It's just as important to understand why an answer is incorrect and HOW they are trying to trick you as it is to understand the correct answer. After writing notes and tips for myself, I was better able to identify patterns in reasoning that allowed me to go much faster--and more accurate--on the real test. Depth is far more important than doing PT after PT and it also helps with avoiding burnout from doing question after question for 5 hours. You really only need about 10 pt's to fully understand each question type and drill it. I'd be happy to give you more information and help you develop a strategy if you message me. Best of luck!

I have major test anxiety and would LOVE your input regarding your strategy, if you don't mind sharing? :)