Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Admissions cycle when taking the April LSAT

Okay, I am definitely a non-traditional student and didn't even realize until just now that taking the April LSAT is wayy too late since most admissions are done in Dec-Jan. Does that mean I just have to wait until the next cycle to apply?

Comments

• Ashley2018-1Ashley2018-1 Live Member
    2249 karma

Yes, you do. Most, if not all, law schools have already filled up their seats. The earliest you can apply is for the Fall 2022 cycle. But the scores are good for five years. Take you time and enjoy life.

• kaleincalikaleincali Core Member
    54 karma

I'm also taking the April LSAT and I plan to apply next cycle (during Fall 2021). I don't think it's too bad, and it may even work to your advantage since law school apps are up by 35% or something this cycle. I have hopes that as the world "opens up" again, fewer people will be studying for/taking the LSAT because they'd rather enjoy themselves lol

• @kaleincali said:
    I'm also taking the April LSAT and I plan to apply next cycle (during Fall 2021). I don't think it's too bad, and it may even work to your advantage since law school apps are up by 35% or something this cycle. I have hopes that as the world "opens up" again, fewer people will be studying for/taking the LSAT because they'd rather enjoy themselves lol

When you say they're up by 35% you think that's because of all people who didn't apply during Covid are doing it now?

• @"ashley.tien" said:
    Yes, you do. Most, if not all, law schools have already filled up their seats. The earliest you can apply is for the Fall 2022 cycle. But the scores are good for five years. Take you time and enjoy life.

Starting law school at 25-26 kinda scares me but oh well, that's life I guess

2249 karma

Unfortunately, at this point there just isn't anything you can do about that. Let's just hope things go back to normal so we can actually physically attend law school so it will be worth the wait.

• EagerestBeaverEagerestBeaver Alum Member
    703 karma

Starting law school at 25 is perfectly fine. You will be around the median at many top schools. You are ok.

2249 karma

Joe Biden was 78 when he became President and did so after three tries!

• CurioussGeorgeCurioussGeorge Core Member
    12 karma

@"Timmy Is an Avg Kid that No One Understands" said:

@"ashley.tien" said:

Don't worry, the average age of a law school student is around 25-26 anyways so you're in the ball park.

• RyanazRRyanazR Member
    edited January 2021 208 karma

@"Timmy Is an Avg Kid that No One Understands" I feel you haha; I had to serve in my country's military for over 2 years and I am way behind other people and will only enter law school earliest at 27. It is a huge bummer.

• hopefullinghopefulling Member
    905 karma

If you're looking at regional schools and NOT looking for scholarship consideration, you could still apply up to about July-ish. (based on the recent SAPLA webinar) Some of the schools mentioned they'd take people up until the start of classes. It's just a matter that they've already distributed scholarships ... It really depends on the school. :)

• lilpinglinglilpingling Member
    638 karma
    1. I'm 42 and planning on going to law school this fall. You go when the time is best for you. I can't even remember being 27. :smile:

2. As far as admissions go, it depends. Generally speaking, an April LSAT would be too late to apply to most traditional schools. That said, if you're a nontraditional student and/or planning on applying to a program that offers part time enrollment or spring semester start dates, there may still be a chance- or you may be able to start in January. As I recall, last summer I received a number of emails from the University of Nebraska saying they still had spots open up to a week before the fall semester started. So, it just depends. It's not impossible, but like someone above said, it definitely impacts scholarships. But you never know. It's more about your goals and timeline. I'm taking the Feb test and plan on applying to a program that offers an accelerated program starting in May (if I get in and get enough funding, I just might go for it)

• MartianmanMartianman Core Member
    edited January 2021 211 karma

Go to the link and and sort based on application deadlines. There are schools you can apply to with an April LSAT. Sure the “conventional” approach is to wait until next cycle but you don’t have to.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tUI5y-Sw2utvXvUEk9IQDzC1Rc0NDb7Q4PFwzxYkZpw/edit

I am 32 and taking April with the intent of applying to WashU, ASU, UVA, and potentially U of San Diego depending on my score. I’m open to waiting to next cycle when I’ll be 33, age doesn’t matter just take the dive!

• SweetyC137SweetyC137 Member
    80 karma

The law school that I am applying to accepts all the way up to July LSAT for the same year. I plan to apply this year after I take the April LSAT. But, I understand that my chances of getting accepted are slightly lower since it will be later than the priority deadline. If you are dead set on trying to go to law school this year, just reach out to the law schools that you are wanting to go to and talk to the admissions counselor and ask how late they accept LSAT scores. The worst thing that will happen is you have to wait until next cycle. BTW I am 29 so 25-26 yrs old isn't "too old" to go to law school. Some people are 57 and decide to go to law school :)

• I wish I could respond to each of you. Reading through this has given me so much hope. Thank you guys! We all got this. :)

• canihazJDcanihazJD Alum Member Sage
    8313 karma

In addition to everything else, keep in mind that schools often accept apps beyond their stated deadlines. If you kill it in April, a school has strong motivation to accept you if it will help their medians. Also 26 is nowhere near "old".

• 59 karma

I applied last year to one of my reach schools past their deadline and still got admitted! I would say apply anyways and if not there is always the next cycle. Best of luck :)

• sarakimmelsarakimmel Member
    1488 karma

43 here, so yeah, you'll seem like just one of the kids to me! lol
    But yes, to echo what others have said, you could apply if you don't need scholarship money... or you could wait and set yourself up nicely with lots of time to get your application and scores exactly where you want them. A spring start (January 2022) would only set you back 4 months instead of an entire year if timing is a concern. Granted, not every school offers it, but that can be a great option. You do want to get your app in for that option as soon as they open in (Somewhere between Aug-Oct, depending on the school) as they admit for those spots first (info from admissions staff).

• karko2525karko2525 Member
    620 karma

@"Timmy Is an Avg Kid that No One Understands" if it’s any consolation, I was in a similar situation about a year ago. I knew virtually nothing about the LSAT and admissions process, but thought I could study for 3 months and take the exam/ apply the same year lol. I was very wrong and for multiple other personal reasons, I decided to put off law school for another year and am happy to say I just applied this past winter in 2020 and have received some acceptances. I am currently 24 which means by the time I start in fall, I’ll be 25. I totally understand how daunting it can be to delay your career, but I think it’s also important to realize that not everyone has a straightforward path. In fact, a lot of people in law school are mid to late 20’s, even 30’s, 40’s, 50’s. So don’t feel like an extra year is the end of the world because I promise it isn’t and as cheesy as it sounds, everything really does happen for a reason. In fact, an extra year is very much worth your time if you can get an awesome LSAT score in exchange. A lot of people have predicted that this cycle and the next will be quite competitive due to the economy and pandemic so every little bit of improvement is helpful! Overall, don’t put too much pressure on yourself and know that an extra year can be much more helpful than damaging even if it feels like you should be in law school by a certain age. It’s really all a social construct and there’s no cut off for when you can or should go to law school. Best of luck to you and I hope you get a bomb LSAT score so you can apply to some kick ass schools next fall!

• tonyahardzinskitonyahardzinski Core Member
    307 karma

I’m 37, turning 38 later this summer. I’m supposed to retake the Lsat this month but am pushing it to April because my husband is in the Navy & we won’t have reliable care available now for this month’s exam. I’m a non traditional student and looking to go PT at a school near me so it doesn’t matter as much WHEN I retake the lsat (though it may for scholarship but not admittance) I am a teacher by trade, and while my undergrad gpa was only 2.91 my addendum explains it well and then my two masters degrees afterwards increase from 3.4 to 4.0 (and the 4.0 was while my hubs was deployed, I had a newborn etc) so I’m very hopeful it shows that I’m like fine wine and getting better with age haha. I think you’re fine to take the April Lsat if you’re not trying to compete for a full ride scholarship at a top school. Best of luck!

• SagerSaigeSagerSaige Member
    18 karma

@"Timmy Is an Avg Kid that No One Understands" said:

@"ashley.tien" said:

I'll be starting at age 28! I work with several lawyers and have spoken to professors who, when I expressed my anxiety about starting "so old", said that the median age is increasing and that usually the older you are, the better you do. Everyone takes their own path.

• mmacnamara21mmacnamara21 Core Member
    48 karma

You should still apply! Find a couple schools that you're interested in that have deadlines over summer, many of them do, and shoot your shot. People have different things going on in their lives that prevent them from meeting the traditional cycle and the law schools understand that. If it doesn't work out, you just apply again early in the fall! If they see that you have applied to their school before, they'll see continued interest which will definitely work in your favor