Deleted

bluecarrotbluecarrot Member
edited January 2021 in General 40 karma

-

Comments

• javanrojjavanroj Core Member
    38 karma

They always consider your highest score, if i were you I would try to do something that relaxes me like meditation or have some chamomile tea( mediation works perfectly for me) and I would try to retake it, Im sure you will rock the second one, you already studied so much, try to make the most out of it. Also, i know that they are some anti-anxiety pills that you can get from doctor.
    Good luck.

• canihazJDcanihazJD Alum Member Sage
    8465 karma

I'd keep it... little to no benefit in cancelling and definite chance you did better than you think, which if you cancel, you'll never know. When they did the zombie scores earlier last year, people were coming back with 99th percentile scores. These people not only thought they bombed, but they thought they did so bad that they were willing to risk never seeing the score. Our brains are dumb... every reddit thread or thing you think of in the shower that you could have done better on the test is altering your recall of your performance. You cannot rely on your recollection of how you did.

Worse case, retake... even if you dip below 167, you're still a 167 applicant. Remember you're not comparing yourself to another person with your goal score but less takes... you're comparing yourself to you with a higher score vs you without.

Re:relaxing, there are lots of great resources out there... khan has a good guided meditation for students playlist. Deep breathing, unfocus/refocus drills, etc. Find something that works and don't be afraid to seek help if you think it might warrant treatment.

Also realize that panic is normal to an extent. Anticipate and accept that it will happen. I've scored below my PT range every test I've taken, and I think the best way to address that is, to be blunt, get better. Above all else on this test, mastery is the key... to combatting test day penalties, anxiety, timing issues. If you want a 173, figure out what you need to do to get to 176 and grind. Easier said than done, yes, but point being it can be done... by anyone.

• bluecarrotbluecarrot Member
    40 karma

@canihazJD Thanks for the advice! I do know that they will only consider my highest score, but I'm just a little too worried about the possibility of an unexpected 20 point decrease or something :/ haha Even if that happens, would it still be ok as long as I write an addendum? Or in that case would it be safer to cancel?
    Great point about preparing to exceed my goal score to take account of the test day nerves!

40 karma

@javanroj Thank you for the advice! Yeah I think it would be a good idea to get some anti-anxiety pills.
    Unfortunately this is my second take and I was planning on applying for this cycle, so I might not be able to retake! I might end up delaying the cycle though depending on my results.

• canihazJDcanihazJD Alum Member Sage
    8465 karma

@custardbun said:
    Even if that happens, would it still be ok as long as I write an addendum? Or in that case would it be safer to cancel?

I doubt you'd see a 20 point drop, but let's accept that for a second.

To lose 20 points on the flex (from 167 to 147) you need to miss over an entire section's worth of questions. My guess is that you'd be able to tell fairly easily if something that catastrophic happened and cancel.

40 karma

@canihazJD Haha that's very true! Thanks for the helpful advice :)