Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Retake LSAT writing or not?

VerdantZephyrVerdantZephyr Member
in General 2054 karma

So I recently retook my LSAT and so have an opportunity to retake the LSAT writing. I was pretty happy with my argument and answers to the first LSAT writing prompt, but finished my conclusion with only a few seconds remaining and wasn't able to correct several mispellings and one word confusion at the very top of the first paragraph ("sight" instead of "site"). I know that one or even two mispellings are not a big deal, reviewers know the prompt is strictly timed, but several and a word confusion concerned me a little, especially since we are provided with automatic spell check. In your opinion is this something that is worth retaking the LSAT writing for? Why/why not?

Comments

• Sam LeaderSam Leader Alum Member
    15 karma

No, focus on your personal statement. This is a great place for you to show your writing skills and your abilities to formulate a good argument for you to be admitted. Dont beat yourself up over an unweighted section, the LSAT is hard enough and the entire application process is hard enough. There are so many ways that you're already proving yourself, just rock an incredible statement.

• dreaminginlogicdreaminginlogic Core Member
    24 karma

If you have any other parts of your applications to work on (statement, resume, optional essays, if you are still in undergrad - grades), I would say retaking the writing is a waste of time. Every single other part of your application will be weighed much more heavily than the writing sample, and multiple articles I've read said that schools barely read it, if at all.

• canihazJDcanihazJD Alum Member Sage
    8313 karma

I ran my writing from July '19 past my consultant who said, "its not terrible but its not great". He also said, "out of thousands of apps I probably looked at 3 writing samples". I ultimately decided no to redo it for these reasons:

Likely it wont matter.
    Even if you redo it, LSAC sends your last three writings with your app, so they'll see my not great first one anyway.
    So I don't want to add bulk to my app.
    And I'll just bank on my essays to show represent my writing.

If it was going to replace my first writing, I'd probably redo it.

• EagerestBeaverEagerestBeaver Alum Member
    edited January 2021 703 karma

I took an LSAT class in 2018. The instructor told a story of another instructor who took the LSAT for giggles in case they wanted to go to law school in the future. They wrote erotic vampire fan fiction for their writing sample. Upon actually applying, a school asked them about it. They said they were teaching LSAT prep and retook the test. School said ok, cool. The school just wants to make sure that the person who took the exam was also the person who wrote the personal statement. Instructor got in; it was fine.

Don't retake your writing. It will not make a difference.

• VerdantZephyrVerdantZephyr Member
    2054 karma

Thanks for your advice everyone. @canihazJD As usual I can count on you to have the facts. I had no idea they see the last three writing samples. Given that, there is no reason at all to retake since I could only potentially increase the number of errors and I am very confident that all my essays are technically very sound and error-free. My essays are all done and for the most part my apps submitted, though I plan to add one more this week. Just the long waiting game at this point. Hopefully the retake is good enough to push me over the edge for anyone that might have waivered over the first one.

• canihazJDcanihazJD Alum Member Sage
    8313 karma

Good luck! I'll be submitting soon too, and I'm hoping for that last little push from January as well. Back-half-of-the-cycle warriors!

• VerdantZephyrVerdantZephyr Member
    2054 karma

@canihazJD With the dedication, focus, and helpfulness you have displayed during your preparation on these forums I am confident you will impress someone when they get your application and/or interview you. Looking forward to the score report release tomorrow.