Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Diagramming Logic Games: 7Sage vs Powerscore

shermankrsshermankrs Alum Member
edited June 2015 in Logic Games 80 karma
I am just getting to the logic games part of the course with 7sage. However I did already complete the Logic Games Bible from Powerscore. I was wondering other people's thoughts on which service has the best (defined in whichever way you want.. quickest.. clearest.. etc) logic games diagramming method. Do you guys pick one or the other? Do you use a hybrid of the two depending on each game? Do you find yourself getting confused between the two? I'd be interested to hear different perspectives on this.

Comments

• bSM45LSATbSM45LSAT Member
    522 karma
    Use the 7Sage method! The Powerscore method I've heard countless times is just confusing.
  • mpits001mpits001 Alum Member
    938 karma
    7Sage is vastly superior.
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    Power score is a BIG time waster in LG. Do as JY does and see if any of the PS methods remain useful. I literally only use 2 things I learned from LGB and am SO happy I didn't start off with it (I started with the Trainer and swear by those methods 90%+ of the time; generally go —0-3).
  • Nanchito-1-1Nanchito-1-1 Yearly Member
    1762 karma
    Whats the trainer @nicole.hopkins?
    7965 karma
    @nancyg1293 the LSAT Trainer by @Mike Kim! Very highly recommended. We talk about it a lot on these forums.

The LSAT Trainer: A remarkable self-study guide for the self-driven student

Kinda tempted to throw down for the 2015-16 edition just to get my hands on that snazzy-jazz Bauhaus cover ...
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    @nicole.hopkins I just got it and it is indeed snazzy... loving it so far...
  • VegMeg55VegMeg55 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    587 karma
    I used the PS LG Bible first and then went to 7Sage. The 7Sage method is much, much better so I primarily stick with that. The only thing I use from PS is a 'less than' sign as opposed to a line in certain diagramming situations. Otherwise, 7Sage diagramming is significantly better and more intuitive.
  • pritisharmapritisharma Alum Member
    477 karma
    I am doing majority of my stuff as taught by 7sage when it comes to LG. I have the trainer too but am not using much of the LG from there. @nicole.hopkins could you specify what particular Trainer strategy you found useful that is not mentioned in 7sage or that 7sage does differently.
  • tanes256tanes256 Alum Member
    2573 karma
    @nicole.hopkins I am interested to know the same as pritisharma. I have The Trainer but I never really gave it a consideration when it came to LG. Because of JY's reputation with LG I wasn't going to bother with this section. Any info is appreciated. You Mentors are awesome!
  • visualcreedvisualcreed Member Inactive ⭐
    326 karma
    For me, I don't use any particular method, but I can say that 7Sage helped me the most. The Trainer was what I started with and that definitely helped me but it was when I watched 7Sage videos that things started to click. As for the actual notations and diagrams I kind of just do what feels natural instead of trying to remember specific things. I think the key is putting a representation that makes sense to you while being 100% accurate and striving to be as visual as possible. Just to note, I usually get 0-2 wrong in LG, usually getting things wrong because I misread questions while speeding through.
  • shermankrsshermankrs Alum Member
    80 karma
    Thanks for the tips! I'll just feel it out, 7sage diagramming does seem to be a lot quicker
    7965 karma
    @tanes256 @pritisharma I like using shapes to represent different/same elements being assigned (http://www.thelsattrainer.com/lsat-logic-games-tips.html) :) Mike Kim is the only one I've seen do that. Also, I sometimes find that my instincts are not geared towards using charts in situations where I believe a chart would waste time (and I think in a lot of these cases, JY doesn't even use a chart). Sometimes I naturally use chart-like structures but I don't gravitate towards them in most cases ... Though I guess if you just threw some lines into my diagram it would be a chart. Anyway, I get distracted by the straightness of my lines.

So yeah, I would say ... definitely don't blow the LG section in the Trainer off without a little dabbling, if you have time and you're not already -0 in LG consistently :D Ultimately it's what works with YOUR brain; I've gotten solid methods from JY and I've gotten solid methods (shapes FTW!) from Mike Kim. I've gotten one or two things out of all of Powerscore LGB ... not a very good record in comparison. They never blew my mind the way JY has in LG, and I like the Trainer as my foundation.

Wouldn't you like to draw lovely triangles and squares ??
  • pritisharmapritisharma Alum Member
    edited June 2015 477 karma
    Thanks @nicole.hopkins yes you are right (about shapes), although I thought JY did mention it someplace but he does not use it. I will try to incorporate it in my LG games as I practice. With the chart I have the same issue they do seem to be time consuming and it may be worse depending on the questions. Bit I am beginning to use them more though. I have timing issues with LG not so much accuracy issues.
  • blah170blahblah170blah Alum Inactive ⭐
    3545 karma
    I actually prefer Blueprint's method for logic games above anything else (so if you can get your hands on it, I'd recommend it). It's the bare minimum amount of diagramming (which is useful for me) and the little symbols make sense.