Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Score Goal

in General 381 karma

Hey everyone, this may be an odd post but I needed to get it out there since reading through different peoples goals/expectations can be taxing and pretty daunting. "If I don't apply at this time I have no shot, if I don't get this score with my GPA I have no shot" etc., you get the point. So I currently work at a law firm and pretty much have a solid job opportunity post Law School. So I don't need a 170 + to even have a chance and care to apply to schools, nor do I absolutely have to get a scholarship in any way. I'm actually aiming for the more realistic score of around 153-155 which would allow me to attend a school close to me, Philadelphia area and still work if I'm able. It's not a must. So I would appreciate any tips on what I should really go heavy on with drilling etc. to get in that score range. I'm currently scoring around 146 but just need that extra bump. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks everyone!

Comments

• canihazJDcanihazJD Alum Member Sage
    8313 karma

Have you done the core curriculum? If not, that alone should get you from the 140s to the 150s if not higher.

• 381 karma

I have yes. I think when it comes time for the PT, I blank and everything I learned, especially with LR seems to go out the window. I definitely have to get my timing down more as well. I feel like I rush and that doesn't help in the slightest.

• learn2skipQslearn2skipQs Member
    730 karma

I have a similar problem. I guess its not enough to just know the material. You have to have expert mastery to the point where u can answer fast without sacrificing accuracy. I'm stuck around 148-152 ...but I'm starting to think thats the issue.

• brookegojazzbrookegojazz Core Member
    360 karma

Maybe start with mastering games if you can. That's an area of quick improvement and might be a great place to boost your score for now. If you can start going -1 to even -3/4 on games, that will help immensely! Then maybe pick those big question types for LR (strengthen/weaken, assumption, flaw) and go type by type and see if you can gain some points there. RC is usually the longest improvement but not impossible! Often that one if you can get used to your pace and rhythm you'll improve, alongside not sinking time into super hard questions that you're likely going to miss anyways (both on LR & RC).

• learn2skipQslearn2skipQs Member
    730 karma

thnx good advice ^^

• purplecatpurplecat Core Member
    24 karma

I found the Loophole really helpful in getting to the mid 50s if you want a supplemental source for LR.

• TimeIsMoneyTimeIsMoney Member
    495 karma

I was in a very similar boat as you. I took the flex back in july. I started seeing big improvements when i decided to master one section and that for me was logic games. I started out scoring 145-148 on my first 5 tests. I finally decided to focus on one section and improved to 154 in just ONE week. I was consistently getting -3 or 4 on LG so the other sections did not effect me as much. I really wish i would have just kept this study method, but the last month i was trying to cover as much as possible rather than build on my strengths. I ended up getting a few less than my highest score on the real test, but with nerves and bad test conditions, i was not too upset. Got into a good school in my hometown with good scholarship. If i were you, find your best section and master it!! Especially if you don't have a ton of time to study for the test like me.

• 381 karma

Thanks for much for the response! That makes me feel a lot better. Yes, I did do that with LG but took a break to focus on RC and it really showed with me PTs. I'm going to go back to doing LG 1-35 and really solidify my understanding and not move on until I do. Do you mind me asking you started school in the fall of 2020 after taking it in July? Obviously T15 schools most likely won't have room that late in the cycle but it gives me hope for small schools that I am aiming for and not having to delay again.

• TimeIsMoneyTimeIsMoney Member
    495 karma

@ColinTurner610 said:
    Thanks for much for the response! That makes me feel a lot better. Yes, I did do that with LG but took a break to focus on RC and it really showed with me PTs. I'm going to go back to doing LG 1-35 and really solidify my understanding and not move on until I do. Do you mind me asking you started school in the fall of 2020 after taking it in July? Obviously T15 schools most likely won't have room that late in the cycle but it gives me hope for small schools that I am aiming for and not having to delay again.

No problem. I actually will not be starting until this fall (2021). I think even if you apply late you will have a good chance. I am enrolling in a smaller school and right now there seems to be a very low number of students admitted. I think the cycle will be delayed. When did you plan on taking it?

• 381 karma

Oh that's good to hear. I planned on taking it in April or May if it's being offered then. I'm not sure yet when it's being offered past April.

• 219 karma

I agree with the person who encouraged hammering on the core curriculum. It really is that powerful. Also, I started in the 140s. Improvement to150s was taxing to me too, but I improved a lot when I heard someone suggest taking the last 5 or10 questions off the table immediately after starting a section... Just pick a consistent answer choice for those last questions, for me it was B, and stop worrying about them. Something about not stressing out about those last questions when going in to a timed section helped me reduce the anxiety and actually focus and improve significantly on timing.. and I learned which questions I am better at and learned to be more selective with skipping. Then I discovered that tactic allowed me to get to the questions I'd pre-answered with time to spare, and be able to focus on them without worrying that I was blowing the entire section just trying to speed through. I could sort through them and answer the ones I knew I was good at. It helped me a lot.

• Krystell C.Krystell C. Member
    72 karma

Hi! I took the LSAT in 2017 with basically no prior studying and got a 148. I started properly studying in late November and am now on a more disciplined study schedule and the things that helped me are this - it’s better to study a little every day than to study for like 4+ hours one day and then do nothing for a whole week. I do take off a day or two but not consecutively. Also I agree with the statements above about skipping any questions that seem difficult or like they could be time consuming. Answer questions you feel strongly about and come back to all others if you have time at the end. LG was my worst section previously so it’s the section I’m focusing on first after mastering Formal Logic (working through Kaplan books atm). Like you, I’m hoping for a 155-160 range score and am taking the exam in April. Best of luck!

• 381 karma

Thank you so much for the response Castillo! I started really studying in November as well and am planning for an April take. Can you give me an idea of your study schedule? I ask because sometimes I get stuck on a section and focus on that only for too long and then feel like I get behind on another. Thanks again for the awesome response!

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@ColinTurner610 said:
    Thank you so much for the response Castillo! I started really studying in November as well and am planning for an April take. Can you give me an idea of your study schedule? I ask because sometimes I get stuck on a section and focus on that only for too long and then feel like I get behind on another. Thanks again for the awesome response!

I bet almost anything you can make that score jump! Take stock of your score breakdown and see where you can pick up some "easy" points. Use the 7Sage score tracker to look for patterns and let that dictate how to move forward. I used to try to do 2 sections a day. Always an LG + LR/RC.

So a typical week would look like:

Mon - LG/LR
    Tue - LG/RC
    Wed - LG/LR
    Thurs - LG/RC
    Fri - Practice test
    SAT + Sun BR + Review

I found this helpful because I was always keeping fresh on every section & perfecting my timing.

NB: This was after I had completed the CC and FP'd games.. Also, I'd take days off to review if any obvious problems arose. For example, there were def game types and LR question types that I found really unintuitive. I'd take all the time needed to study and address those issues. Lastly, check out some of the tutors on here. Looking back my only real regret with the LSAT was not getting one sooner. Oh, and maybe using Kaplan and Powerscore before I found 7Sage lol.

Good luck :smile:

• VerdantZephyrVerdantZephyr Member
    2054 karma

@ColinTurner610 I think you have already gotten good advice about how to study and prepare, so I will skip that, but I just want to provide some encouragement for your journey.

I think it is great that you are at a point of being utterly okay with getting a good enough score of mid 150's, and not pressured about prestige or scholarships. That is wonderful and will make everything a lot easier. Many of us in this process should probably focus more on achieving that perspective.

With that said, partially if/because you have that perspective, aim high. It is okay if you don't reach your higher goal, you have already decided you are okay with a middle of the road school and limited scholarship funds, but we often need something to push us a bit to reach our full potential. I would encourage you to add several points to that goal. If you succeed you are in a much better place in terms of application success rate and some potential aid, if you fail you are still completely fine and safe. I think it will be easier to hit that mid 150's score though if you aim above it. Shoot for 159, push yourself, build an extra buffer against complacency.

With that bit of extra pressure, there are three possibilities as you study.

A.) I already mentioned. You don't make it but are still well equipped for your stated goals.

B.) You reach that goal by the end of your preparation and on your test and better admissions/scholarship results are more likely.

C.) You find you reach it early, and can then aim for a little higher than that. Not only will this open up more possibilities, but you can go into the test with extra confidence and some wiggle room if nerves set you back.

In all of these three scenarios, I hope you finish feeling good about having given it your very best. Aiming high feels a bit more compelling, and if you are okay with any results in the mid 150's, there is no need to feel as if you failed or regret anything as long as you did your best, but managing to beat it by even a point or two will give you that extra bit of confidence that you worked hard and exceeded what you thought yourself capable of. That's going to travel with you into the future. Good luck, you can do it!

• 381 karma

Thanks for so much for the responses both of you! I love the schedule you provided so I will implement that for sure! Yeah I plan on fool proofing the game immediately. I know I will find unintuitive games so I'm going to need those other days to review them etc. And @VerdantZephyr I really appreciate the kind words! I think that's such a good approach to take with the test. I am aiming for middle of the road but I think it's a good idea to strive for a little more to prepare for later in life as well. Those three possibilities during my studies are such a good perspective to look out for! I never thought of it that way! Really appreciate that man. Having those extra success rates with applications and aid can be so beneficial. Take care man and hopefully we can keep in touch. Thanks guys.