Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advice on Endurance and Timing on the LSAT?

l.franco7l.franco7 Free Trial Member
I've been studying for the LSAT since January; however, I had been using Powerscore for three months. Although I'm sure some might have benefitted from this prep, I didn't as much as I wanted to. It wasn't until late April that I started using Manhattan and have seen a great improvement!! I was supposed to take the June 2015 LSAT, but I'm almost certain I'll withdraw. I am just now improving and not near my target score yet (I am aiming for a minimum 160, and I'm now on the low 150s). Additionally, I'm only half way through the Manhattan course (it is very exhaustive), and I'm extremely confident I'll be closer to my target score by the end of the course.
I want to go into the exam feeling as prepared as I can. My friend who used 7sage along other prep courses (and also got a 172 and will be attending Stanford in the fall) recommended 7sage to me. I feel confident with most basic lessons pertaining the LSAT. With all of this being said, where should I start with 7sage?

Additionally, my main two challenges concern endurance and timing. On practice tests, the first two sections, I do decent (not yet where I want but VERY close). It's the last three sections that my brain starts to literally shut down. Does this happen to anyone else? What are your recommendations? I haven't taken as many practice tests (around 6-7), so it might be a thing I might just have to get used to. Timing used to be a bigger factor, but I'm getting better at it. I am still rushing on the last 5 questions on most sections though. Any advice for this as well? I KNOW these two things (especially endurance) are preventing me from reaching my minimum target score. All and any advice and positive vibes would be extremely appreciated.

Comments

• ddakjikingddakjiking Inactive ⭐
    2116 karma
    The thing that REALLY improved my endurance was doing full 5-section PT's. Since I had some money to spare, I bought pre-arranged 5-section PT's from Cambridge for about $9-10 apiece. They put in a section from an older PT into the selected 4-section PT.
  • l.franco7l.franco7 Free Trial Member
    5 karma
    Manhattan's tests are all five sections though. I'll definitely keep taking these! Thanks
  • ddakjikingddakjiking Inactive ⭐
    2116 karma
    That's good. Continue doing 5-section PT's since endurance is a problem for ya. I'd also drill question types that you're weak at on the side. So say you tend to miss a lot of Flaw/Necessary assumption questions, I would get those relevant Cambridge LR packets that use all of those question types from PT 1-38 and just drill.
  • PetrichorPetrichor Alum Member
    359 karma
    I don't know what your schedule is like but one thing I've found useful is to do drill 1-2 sections at the end of the day (for me that means after work or class), definitely increased stamina AND focus (simple reading errors used to easily cost me 1-3 questions per exam).
  • Dr. YamataDr. Yamata Member Inactive ⭐
    578 karma
    It may be an unpopular view, but I see timing as purely a function of capability and accuracy. There's no special "timing tactic" to use on the questions if you're planning on doing all of them and getting them all right. Familiarity with the questions leads to less time flip-flopping between answers, less time "brute-forcing" games, and less time frantically scanning the RC passages for the answer. If your question-answering acumen is such that you're nailing questions one-after-another, you will come up at the end of the section with 5 mins to spare and you can go back and check answers. That's it. But that being said, there are certain "insurance policies" you can take out, such as skipping the big huge substitution-equivalence questions or the huge parallel reasoning questions.

As far as endurance, I agree with the conventional wisdom that you must take the PT's with 5 sections. 6 sections even. There's just no other way to really build up the ability to answer 120 questions in a row for 4 hours. Simulate everything as close to test day as possible. And no, you can't just use your favorite sections as experimental sections. You theoretically could be doing 2 RCs, 3 arguments, or 2 games on test day. I personally like the games the most.. So I've been making an extra effort to "get comfortable" with multiple RCs and triple Args.
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    @rezamoha87 said:
    Go vegan
    OR: Go paleo and eat all the meats.