Completely bombed the Jan LSAT - Help

OliverF96OliverF96 Free Trial Member
in General 9 karma

I am applied for Fall 2021 JD program at my home city University. I took the the January LSAT-Flex for the first time. I know completing the LSAT this late put me a greater risk compared to early applicants (For my school). Especially since January is the cut-off month for LSAT scores. However, I was highly motivated to give it my best shot with a 3.5 month study period. Leading up to the last two weeks before the exam I was finally making break-throughs averaging between 150-155 on my practice tests and rising. The last week before I took the exam I was in ultra-drive mode, caffeine, late night hours, the whole shazam (looking back, this was overkill). I was really aiming to overcome the 160 curve to balance out my application.

Today I received my Flex scores. Without going into too much detail about how it went on test day the straight forward answer is: I completely BOMBED it and I mean completely. I landed in the 130s (lower than my diagnostic test). I am still putting together the pieces of what happened. But for the most part my mind wasn't there on test day. Test anxiety took over and I consciously was out of my body. It was a terrifying feeling. I felt like Goliath getting slain by David. It was tough.

Since it was my first LSAT ever. The LSAC allows first-time test takers to preview and cancel their scores after release date. This option is available for me. However, this test will be my only score on file. Should I cancel my low score and accept defeat for getting in this year? I know the University I am applied to has a holistic admissions process and will look at the whole package. But landing in the 130s... this seems way out of the scope to even think I have a chance.

Thank you for taking the time to read my experience. Any opinion on this will be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• TheMommaBearTheMommaBear Member
    edited February 2021 348 karma

I’m really sorry this happened to you. Personally, I would cancel the score, unless you have an amazing GPA or something else that reeeally sets you apart. Especially if there’s even a tiny chance that in the future you’ll be applying to a school that averages LSAT scores. I doubt that even with a holistic view this score wouldn’t reflect negatively.

If you can put off applying for a year I suggest doing so. As much as I hate the LSAT, I am quickly seeing value in it. I can feel my brain starting to rewire, and from anecdotal evidence, that should help me in1st year.

Best of luck to you. Don’t forget that you’ve achieved in the 150s on PTs, so you ARE capable of getting there.

• TimeIsMoneyTimeIsMoney Member
    495 karma

So sorry to hear about your rough go...the LSAT can be so overwhelming. In my opinion, if you scored in the 150s a lot and were aiming at 160 but hit the 130s, something went very wrong and you need to cancel. It depends on where you go, but even if you had a 4.0 GPA and were aiming at a lower school be prepared to pay full tuition if you are even admitted. I would cancel without question. I know you want to be done with the LSAT but you can't be.

Maybe study again and see how you do on the next few PTs. If you are in the 150s, then i suggest sign up soon and take it again. There's still time to apply this cycle. You can apply now and tell them your LSAT is on the way. I don't find it worth it to take an entire year and put all that anxiety on yourself again. You can always apply late, especially with the COVID circumstances or just wait until next year. But again if you are capable of scoring in the 150s then maybe you just got bad anxiety on test day.

If i were you, I would take a week off and get your mind right. Then take a PT and see where you stand. If you are scoring up higher again schedule to take the next one asap. If you are still low, then start a study plan again and wait until next cycle.

Again, so sorry to hear about this. I lost a few points on test day but this seems much more severe. Just try and relax yourself and ensure that it is just a test- it doesn't define you. I went into the test and just pretended i was taking a PT, knowing that no matter my score i could take it again if i needed to. Good luck and i hope the best for you!!

• Andi5678Andi5678 Alum Member
    21 karma

Whatever happened in January, it's done. I think you should take a test with fresh eyes and see what happens. If you land in the 150s where you were normally then maybe keep studying and re-take the next test. Not sure what school you applied for and if you'll make the deadlines but look into that. If the answer is no, you will miss your 2021 cycle and that is disappointing but I wouldn't try to get into my school of choice with a subpar performance knowing I normally do significantly better. I think you can improve a lot.

I do hope you cancelled your score because it does seem something went wrong for you that day and hey, you're human it sucks but it happened. If it happens again, take a look at the "complaint" process for the digital lsat so you're prepared just in case something is off with your workstation or something. I had a technical problem where it was questionable if all my answers were recorded due to the proctor leaving and attempting to reconnect but there was a log that popped on my screen showing they did not and that they exited during my last section. I knew 100% that I answered every question but due to the technical problem, I was worried all my answers were not transmitted. It was an ordeal. It took forever and apparently you only have a week to get this process underway...or at least that was the case last year. Just try to arm yourself with knowledge on what are options should there be a technical issue you need resolved. I wish I had done that but my score was not as drastically lower as your experience. Anyway, good luck. You can do this!