Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jumping around in 7Sage

Ben LongBen Long Member

I'm new to the site, but I've been familiarizing myself with the LSAT for a while. I'm aiming for a score 172+, and from the PTs I've done, I know that my most glaring weakness is Logic Games. I'm generally going -2/-3 in RC and LR, but in LG, the best I've done is -9. So, here's my question: could it be wise to jump straight into the LG section of the 7sage curriculum, and ignore the foundations of LR and RC? How much do these topics build on each other, and what am I risking if I skip some of these more "foundational" lessons?

Comments

• HLoom1222HLoom1222 Member
    97 karma

I don't really have an answer for you, but just wanted to chime in that I'm in the same boat. Just -1 on RC, -3 on LR and -11 on LG on my diagnostic. So, I jumped straight to the games curriculum and only went back into the LR/conditional language lessons as needed. Have yet to see if this strategy is sound or will backfire.

• Hutch1007Hutch1007 Core Member
    14 karma

I'm not sure when you're planning on taking the test but I would probably jump right into logic games. Don't ignore RC and LR completely, be sure to go back and figure out which of those questions you're getting wrong and why, but your focus should be LG. It's very learnable but you need time to get the skills down and once you do, you should have a great shot at 172+. Good luck!

• Ben LongBen Long Member
    29 karma

These are helpful comments, thank you both!

• Stephanie_IStephanie_I Member
    16 karma

I'm also planning on using 7Sage just for the Logic Games curriculum. However, I was wondering if the sections titled "Introduction to Logic" and "Advanced Logic" would be included as part of the LG curriculum. I skipped straight to "Introduction to Logic Games & Sequencing games" and am wondering if I should go back and complete those two sections before moving on. Any advice?

• yang9999yang9999 Core Member
    edited February 2021 419 karma

@"stephanie.inchaustegui" said:
    I'm also planning on using 7Sage just for the Logic Games curriculum. However, I was wondering if the sections titled "Introduction to Logic" and "Advanced Logic" would be included as part of the LG curriculum. I skipped straight to "Introduction to Logic Games & Sequencing games" and am wondering if I should go back and complete those two sections before moving on. Any advice?

It's probably a good idea, since some games have conditional rules that can trip people up (e.g. "not both", "or", "if A then not B", etc). But if you're already strong at conditional logic then you should be fine.

• VerdantZephyrVerdantZephyr Member
    2054 karma

@"Ben Long" I think this comes down to when your test is and where you are now in relation to the score you want. If you are getting 16+ wrong each test that puts you in the low-mid 160's. I would caution anyone who is not in the mid 160's from skipping too much of the CC, but you are right under that and LG are your clear weakness. Obviously, before your test you want to improve as much as possible with the time investment you have available. If you have months and months before your test, probably do it all, but also put a lot of effort into working on LG. If your test is in 1-2 months, maybe put most of your time and energy into the LG curriculum and drilling games, while working little by little through the LR curriculum. It really depends on your situation.

I'll share my story as an illustration. I started at a 165 cold diagnostic, and was weaker on games timing but nearly perfect on games accuracy when I started. I floundered around on Khan Academy and improved to the high 160's with one or 2 low 170's there before coming to 7sage with a few months before my test. I skipped most of the curriculum completely, only hitting a few sections and mostly doing PT's and BR. I ended up averaging 176 in PT's and getting a 173 and 174 on my tests. I have no question that doing the whole curriculum might have helped me improve some. But when I was averaging (and never scoring outside of) the mid to high 170's the time investment, many dozens of hours to go through the whole curriculum, was not worth the sacrifice of loosing weeks of time PTing and drilling, and I don't think would have allowed me to make the short term improvement I did before my test. If I had been planning a spring take at that time I would have certainly gone through curriculum instead of cherry picking individual sections while mostly drilling and BRing. If I had been testing in the 150's I also would have focused on the curriculum.

• equallyyokedequallyyoked Live Member
    edited February 2021 374 karma

Great advice about starting with logic games. I’ve been doing the curriculum in order but tried some logic games elsewhere and I would like to learn more details here. I could use the details in teaching from LR so I think that LG makes good sense for me. I’ve heard multiple ppl suggest that LG’s are very learnable which is encouraging.

Glad that I read this post. Thank you to the person who made that suggestion and the original poster for starting this conversation. Gods many blessings to everyone.