Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking: RC Tutor

June LSAT RetakeJune LSAT Retake Core Member
in General 102 karma

Looking for an affordable tutor for just RC to help me understand how to read the passages quicker, struggling with this section the most, thanks

Comments

• kkole444kkole444 Alum Member
    1687 karma

Hello here are somethings that I have learned:
    Reading a passage super quick is not required to do good in RC because that can be offset with more retained and less time going back to the passage.
    --First we do not need to grasp every concept in the passage, if there is a part you do not understand re--read it quick, if you still do not get it flag/mark it and move on, try and figure out how that part you do not understand fits into the structure of the passage. Is it an example of a technical theory? Is it the culmination of the ideas already presented? The first would be more a a supporting paragraph(doesn't have to be but more likely) and the second would be more likely to be the conclusion and the reason why the ideas in the passage were talked about(positive or negative, support for or not, policy recommendation for or against.
    --Second--knowing the type of passage and the general structure the passage takes helps improve speed because you expect was is coming, and for me make it easier to retain/remember. For example may science passages start with and introduction to an old theory and then bring up a new finding, then there are ~2 paragraphs talking about the implications of the new finding compared to the old theories and then the conclusion is why the new findings should replace the old ones. In the humanities and arts it is common to find the first paragraph to talk about a past person/past person's work and give some background about them/it. Then the next paragraphs can be about how how critics of present/past felt about it or where the author got there foundation or the evolution of their X quality, writing, painting, ect.(this style normally ends with how their most well known their work is different from their contemporary's). these are just a few common styles the lsac makes their passages.
    Third--being able to pick out the important ideas and leaving the rest on the page. Do not write a ton in the low res(if you don't know what that is see the core curriculum) I forced myself under 10 words then under 8 words then to 7 I did this to make sure I an concise and do not waste time writing unnecessary things. Also tailor your low res to benefit you, for example I could not for the life of me remember the authors tone nor could I spot the authors tone. So I would in BR and watching JYs video point out all the different ways the authors tone can be interjected and how to be sensitive to spotting it. "Adams genius theory" versus "Adams theory" versus "Adams not so well thought out theory" all paint different images of the authors feeling of Adams theory.
    Once you are proficient at the passage then picking apart the questions is a big help. In RC it is more important than the other sections to make sure to know exactly what the question wants from you. Also being sensitive to the wording of the questions for example the word 'any' can make a question wrong.
    The more you practice the faster you will become, also you will start to see where the passage is going from the first passage or two, knowing what is coming helped me speed up and retain more of the important things I needed to know. For example in some of science passages I expect the second passage to be an example to help or refute a theory mentioned in the first paragraph, many time the first word of the paragraph can clue you in such as 'First'--indicating this is the first reason for X.
    Reading outside information like the economist can get you more familiar with econ concepts.

• kkole444kkole444 Alum Member
    1687 karma