Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

should i give up on law school

asdf12345asdf12345 Member
in General 271 karma

I was pting 168-173 and averaged 170 on the past 8 pts before I took the Jan flex
My test day score is 9 points below my average. Should I just give up on law school?
I'm just so confused about my score... the test anxiety was really bad but this is no where near my average

Comments

• 39 karma

Same here. I scored 161 in oct 2020.
    Keep practicing for months and averaging about 168.
    Jan 2021 lsat still 161.

• LogicianLogician Alum Member Sage
    2464 karma

I'm going to keep this short and simple. I believe that In life, there are two types of people; those who crumble at the face of adversity, and those who become even more motivated despite it. You are clearly capable of scoring well on this test, the question is what are you going to do? give up? or keep moving forward despite the setback. Remember, nothing good in life comes easy (for most of us anyways). A setback sets you up for a comeback. Good luck!

• kkole444kkole444 Alum Member
    1687 karma

I agree with @Logician you are defiantly capable of scoring high on the exam! Keep moving forward, you got this!

• DanielMacTavishDanielMacTavish Alum Member
    161 karma

Please don't feel too discouraged. My score dropped eight points on this LSAT as well, and all I really wanted out of it was an extra two points or so. Kind of upset with it, but I didn't study this much to quit on it now. Put too much time and effort into it. Take a nice break and come back to it with a fresh set of eyes and different mindset. It actually can make all the difference.

• asdf12345asdf12345 Member
    271 karma

Thanks everyone. I think I’m gonna go get prescribed some anxiety meds and grind through till the April test and apply next cycle. I’ve put in too much work to stop now :)

• RavinderRavinder Alum Member
    edited February 2021 869 karma

I agree with logician and the others. Do t give up. I had the same problem as you. I had to take the test 5 times over two years before I finally got a 177. I used to be an ER doctor and there is a very safe and effective medicine that can block adrenaline just enough to help as well. It has been used for decades for stage fright by actors and I have seen it work well for several students I met here on 7 sage. It requires a bit of fine tuning to find the optimal dose to block the adrenaline just the right amount to block test day anxiety but not mess up reasoning and focus. Don’t want to give medical advice on a public forum but you can message me. Don’t give up

Admin Note: Do not take medical advice from users on this Forum. Consult your own doctors.

• asdf12345asdf12345 Member
    271 karma

@Ravinder thanks for ur advice! Wow you’re a doctor and also going into law school! That is amazing. Congratulations!!
    I think I’m going to go see a psychiatrist to help with my test anxiety!

• edited February 2021 1050 karma

• mk90u90u0ymk90u90u0y Core Member
    edited February 2021 29 karma

Do not despair. In my opinion, giving up on law school should depend more than on a LSAT score. Take a break from studying and get experience to see if you have any interest in being an attorney in the practical sense if you haven't already. If failing to reach your expectations tempts you to give up remember that this scenario can happen and probably will happen many times in your life. This could be a amazing opportunity to learn to cope with this and persevere and become the stronger for it. God bless you young lady or young man. The book Preparation for Death by St. Alphonsus Ligouri is my favorite book but I would not recommend it if you are dealing with feelings of fear or anxiety that cause you to be easily overwhelmed because you don't want to despair as this book with probably excite those to a greater degree. To anyone else who seeks the truth, it is a classic.

• JPJ July2021JPJ July2021 Core Member
    1532 karma

@Logician said:
    I'm going to keep this short and simple. I believe that In life, there are two types of people; those who crumble at the face of adversity, and those who become even more motivated despite it. You are clearly capable of scoring well on this test, the question is what are you going to do? give up? or keep moving forward despite the setback. Remember, nothing good in life comes easy (for most of us anyways). A setback sets you up for a comeback. Good luck!

I need to frame this!

• LogicianLogician Alum Member Sage
    2464 karma

@Emily2122 haha I’m glad it resonated with you.

• Juliet - Student ServiceJuliet - Student Service Member Administrator Student Services
    5740 karma

Do not give medical advice to or take medical advice from users on this Forum. For any medical advice, including medication on anxiety or any other mental health issues, please consult your own doctors.

• LogicbaeeeLogicbaeee Member
    92 karma

Wow this happened to me too, I was scoring between 167-174 and I got a 159. A punch to my gut for sure. I haven't studied in a month because I honestly felt so sad. Logician's words are definitely encouraging.

• foodplantsfoodplants Core Member
    46 karma

Thank you @ logician for those kind words. I know everyone’s goals are different, but I think you should remember that you’re doing great. Those scores can get you scholarships depending what school you want to attend. Your scores are my dream scores. You are so close.