Advice for pre-med

Hey! I am trying out this test prep because I heard it's is really useful for building critical thinking and comprehension skills. I'm struggling with the CARS (critical reading) section on my MCAT and if anyone has advice on how to transfer these skills over to critical reading in general I would love some tips.

Comments

• canihazJDcanihazJD Alum Member Sage
    edited February 2021 8480 karma

CARS is similar to RC but not exactly the same. Not that it wouldn't help but unless you've exhausted all available CARS specific material, I'd stick with that. Same reason we aren't using Jack Westin or KA CARS passages... it probably would help, but we have the real stuff. KA MCAT curriculum is so much better than what they do for the LSAT btw.

• michelleagmichelleag Core Member
    10 karma

I have been doing JW but they are merely just practice and their explanations aren't so well. KA is very nice but its too short of a curriculum for CARS. I like how 7sage is going so far because they force me to read properly (picking up key words, premises etc).

• canihazJDcanihazJD Alum Member Sage
    edited February 2021 8480 karma

Hmm... so more like help with active reading? I'll maintain that official test specific material is ideal, but I do think the CC here is would be good in that area. Especially if no one in MCAT land is actually addressing more "top down" factors, like how to actually read a passage. Offhand, I think I'd also add in my own questions to some of the passages that more closely model CARS question types/language, or at least address it in review... CARS would also ask this... in CARS this question or answer choice would be phrased more like this. In other words just be mindful of the differences.

RC passages are purposely modified from source material to be difficult to read/understand... I could be wrong but I recall that CARS passages are created by AAMC specifically for the MCAT? Maybe that will work to your advantage here?

I happened across a podcast last week that was doing breakdowns of MCAT passages similar to what we do here... Old premeds or maybe MCAT CARS podcast... cant remember but maybe worth checking out if you haven't already.

Anyway good for you being proactive. You're a superhero for taking on orgo, and a wizard in my book with all that "math" stuff you guys do. My brother is a physician and we definitely need more good ones. Don't hesitate to reach out if you have any questions!

• michelleagmichelleag Core Member
    10 karma

Yes active reading. I think the main issue with all the CARS related material is "follow this gimmicky method and you will succeed" (avoiding extreme answer choices, highlighting method/paraphrase method/skipping hard passages for later method etc). Also "practice practice practice" but getting used to how CARS types questions and their style of passage does not necessarily make you a better reader, just a better test taker.
    I have been practicing CARS for a year and scored close to 20th percentile on my first shot, but I must be missing the fundamentals of actively reading.

No one really addresses the "top down" approach like this website does in great detail.
    I practice with the AAMC material as well and see that so far the lessons have been applying well for me (like I learned how to separate context from argument) in that context. Ofcourse there are still many unique facets of the MCAT that I must keep an eye on.

If you have any suggestions on good practice reads I would love to check it out as well.

Thanks for your advice!