Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How Important is it to do a blind diagnositic

in General 144 karma

I did the score predictor from Khan Academy and was able to get an estimate of my starting score (in the 140s :( ). I did not do a full diagnostic exam yet. Is it absolutely vital to do a full diagnostic exam?

Comments

• Law and YodaLaw and Yoda Alum Member
    edited February 2021 4300 karma

Absolutely vital, no. Important, yes. It’ll allow you to look back and see growth. It’ll just kind of show you where you’re starting and where your strengths and weaknesses lie. I actually appreciate having my diagnostic to look at because I can see where I have lacked in improvement and where I’ve excelled. It’s just a number anyways, don’t take it to heart what the diagnostic is. I started with a 147. Only upwards and onwards my friend!

• 476 karma

I second @"Law and Yoda" It's your marker of progress. Once you see it as a "room to grow" opportunity, it won't be as daunting.

• 1050 karma

Totally agree with @"Law and Yoda" I think it's also nice to understand what you're getting into and the feel of the exam. When I took my diagnostic, I remember feeling mentally drained and crunched for time. I keep those things in the back of my mind when I'm studying. Knowing how the exam feels when you take it can inform a lot of your studying decisions.

• WouldRatherBeEatingWouldRatherBeEating Alum Member
    edited February 2021 456 karma

I didn’t find it very important. I’d never take a math test before I studied the formulas. I personally think prep courses like you to do poorly so 1) you NEED their course and 2) their course looks like it did so much when in fact it was just any old studying/getting familiar with the material.

That said, a blind diagnostic means more in some aspects. For example, “Logic games” (analytical reasoning) seems pointless to do completely blind. But reading comprehension will probably give you a good baseline. Logical reasoning will probably give you an ok baseline as well.

• I did a semi-cold diagnostic. I did nothing for RC, became minimally familiar with LG set ups, and completed the intro to logic section here on 7sage as well as some LR flashcards from Kaplan. So, I had a basic understanding but wasn't totally cold. I recommend that because it still gives you room to grow, as I have not majorly studied or learned concepts, but I know enough things so that my score is not insanely low. I totally recommend taking it because I assumed RC would be my best section, and it was by far my worst! Also, the timing really messed me up. I didn't even get to the last 5+ questions of each section. You definitely want to get this idea of what you're in for before you continue your studies.