Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Important Announcements from LSAC

Juliet - Student ServiceJuliet - Student Service Member Administrator Student Services
edited February 2021 in General 5740 karma

Hi everyone,

LSAC made several announcements today. The following are a few summary points of the announcements:

• The LSAC will continue to provide the LSAT in an online, live remote-proctored format through June 2022.

• The test dates for June 2021 through June 2022 have been released on LSAC's site: https://www.lsac.org/lsat/lsat-dates-deadlines-score-release-dates.

• The LSAT will continue to have three scored sections. Starting in August, LSAC will return to their pre-COVID practice of including an unscored variable section along with the three scored sections.

• With the addition of a fourth, unscored section, LSAC plans to include a short break between the second and third sections of the new LSAT starting August 2021.

• Scores will continue to be reported on the 120-180 LSAT range, along with a percentile ranking.

• The LSAT will continue to have three scored sections and one unscored variable section for the next several years.

• LSAC will continue to address access and equity by providing solutions for candidates who do not have the necessary equipment, internet access, or quiet place to test.

I have also included the full text of LSAC's announcement below:

"First, given the expressed preference of the substantial majority of test takers, we are announcing that we will continue to provide the LSAT in an online, live remote-proctored format through June 2022.

We are also announcing the June 2021 test date, as well as test dates for the entire next cycle, which will begin in August and run through June 2022, so that candidates may plan in advance for the timing that works best. You can find the schedule here https://www.lsac.org/lsat/lsat-dates-deadlines-score-release-dates.

The LSAT will continue to have three scored sections. Starting in August, we will return to our pre-COVID practice of including an unscored variable section along with the three scored sections so that we can validate new test questions for future use. This validation process is a vital part of our commitment to equity and helps us ensure our questions continue their long standard of being free from any kind of bias. With the addition of a fourth, unscored section, we plan to include a short break between the second and third sections of the new LSAT starting August 2021, similar to the break mid-way through the traditional in-person LSAT that was used before the COVID-19 emergency.

The LSAT will continue to have three scored sections and one unscored variable section for the next several years, and you can learn more about the LSAT for August 2021 and beyond on our website.

Scores will continue to be reported on the 120-180 LSAT range, along with a percentile ranking. Our questions and methodology will remain the same, meaning the LSAT will continue to be the most valid and reliable indicator of first-year law school success. Because they both contain three scored sections with the same methodology and questions, we anticipate that scores from the current LSAT-Flex and the LSAT beginning in August will be aligned. As always, our measurement scientists will continue to scrutinize and evaluate all the data to ensure scores preserve their meaning across test administrations.

As we move forward with another full year of online testing to help ensure the safety of all candidates, LSAC will continue to address access and equity by providing solutions for candidates who do not have the necessary equipment, internet access, or quiet place to test. Please make sure that your students know that LSAC stands ready to assist them, so they have the resources they need. Thus far, we have provided 2,400 loaner devices to candidates who needed a computer and have provided a quiet place to test and internet access for over 1,100 more. Through our deep commitment to disability rights, we will of course also continue to address the needs of all candidates who require testing accommodations."

Comments

• Juliet - Student ServiceJuliet - Student Service Member Administrator Student Services
    5740 karma

The following is a list of the upcoming LSAT test dates for United States (Including Puerto Rico & U.S. Virgin Islands) and Canada:

February 2021 — LSAT-Flex
    February 20, February 21

March 2021 — Spanish LSAT-Flex
    March 13

April 2021 — LSAT-Flex
    April 10, April 11

June 2021 — LSAT-Flex
    TBD, Week starting June 12

August 2021 — LSAT
    TBD, Week starting August 14

October 2021 — LSAT
    TBD, Week starting October 9

November 2021 — LSAT
    TBD, Week starting November 13

January 2022 — LSAT
    TBD, Week starting January 15

February 2022 — LSAT
    TBD, Week starting February 12

March 2022 — LSAT
    TBD, Week starting March 12

April 2022 — LSAT
    TBD, Week starting April 30

June 2022 — LSAT
    TBD, Week starting June 11

• lizzogonzolizzogonzo Member
    628 karma

Is the variable section going to be any random section type between LR, LG and RC?

• Juliet - Student ServiceJuliet - Student Service Member Administrator Student Services
    5740 karma

@lizzogonzo said:
    Is the variable section going to be any random section type between LR, LG and RC?

Hi there,

The LSAC hasn't explicitly said so, but it does seem to be a strong inference that the fourth experimental section will be one of LG, LR, or RC.

• love2learnlove2learn Free Trial Member
    edited February 2021 252 karma

any idea if the fee for the test will be the same?
    kinda wondering if LSAC is going to up the cost ...

5740 karma

@love2learn said:
    any idea if the fee for the test will be the same?
    kinda wondering if LSAC is going to up the cost ...

Hi there,

Sorry, the LSAC has not mentioned if the LSAT fees will be increased. You can find the current LSAT & CAS Fees and Refunds on this page.

• Beast ModeBeast Mode Live Member
    840 karma

Hi Juliet, thank you for the update. Is the August administration in person instead of online?

• Help2222Help2222 Member
    240 karma

Thanks

• c.edensmithc.edensmith Member
    17 karma

I really hope there is some type of test center we can go too for the LSAT; I prefer pen & paper, over online when taking tests.

• love2learnlove2learn Free Trial Member
    edited February 2021 252 karma

@c.edensmith they don't use this format for in-person (unless you're international). But it is an accommodated version. I WISH they'd offer it too!

• LivinLaVidaLSATLivinLaVidaLSAT Live Member
    edited February 2021 627 karma

@"Beast Mode" said:
    Hi Juliet, thank you for the update. Is the August administration in person instead of online?

Reference bullet point 1. 🙂

840 karma

@c.edensmith me too.

edited February 2021 840 karma

@LivinLaVidaLSAT Thank you, for some reason I was thinking of this upcoming June when I read the post lol

• Seek-ingSeek-ing Live Member
    edited February 2021 106 karma

@Juliet-- Thank you for letting us know! I just have a quick question about registering for the test. I know that the registration for both the August and October LSAT will open in mid-May. Is it too late to register for the October LSAT after taking the August one? I might need to see how the August one goes before deciding whether to take the one in October or not... Thank you!

5740 karma

@"Seek-ing" said:
    @Juliet-- Thank you for letting us know! I just have a quick question about registering for the test. I know that the registration for both the August and October LSAT will open in mid-May. Is it too late to register for the October LSAT after taking the August one? I might need to see how the August one goes before deciding whether to take the one in October or not... Thank you!

Hi there,

Sorry, I am not sure. I'm afraid we would have to wait for the LSAC's update regarding the registration deadlines for the October LSAT to be sure

• Seek-ingSeek-ing Live Member
    106 karma

@Juliet-- Thank you for your reply! Okay, I'll wait for the LSAC's update then. But since now we all take the test online, is there a limit on the number of test-takers? I know that for tests prior to COVID, you could not register at a test center when it had reached its room capacity. Thank you again!

5740 karma

@"Seek-ing" said:
    @Juliet-- Thank you for your reply! Okay, I'll wait for the LSAC's update then. But since now we all take the test online, is there a limit on the number of test-takers? I know that for tests prior to COVID, you could not register at a test center when it had reached its room capacity. Thank you again!

Hi there,

According to LSAC's site, starting with the September 2019 test administration, test takers will be permitted to take the LSAT:

• Three times in a single testing year (the testing year goes from June 1 to May 31).
    • Five times within the current and five past testing years (the period in which LSAC reports scores to law schools).
    • A total of seven times over a lifetime.

I hope this helps!

• Ramens27Ramens27 Core Member
    19 karma

Good evening,

I registered for the April LSAT-FLEX about a month or so ago, but I don't see a specific date mentioned on the LSAC home page. I see that it will be for April 10, 11 and some days later in the week. How/when will I know what my exact test date and time are? thank you in advance! :)

• SSBM1000SSBM1000 Member
    614 karma

@Ramens27 said:
    Good evening,

I registered for the April LSAT-FLEX about a month or so ago, but I don't see a specific date mentioned on the LSAC home page. I see that it will be for April 10, 11 and some days later in the week. How/when will I know what my exact test date and time are? thank you in advance! :)

Hello,

You should receive an email around a week before the test that will give you your ProctorU login info. This will allow you to access the website and select your test date and time.

• Ramens27Ramens27 Core Member
    19 karma

@SSBM1000 said:

@Ramens27 said:
    Good evening,

Hello,

You should receive an email around a week before the test that will give you your ProctorU login info. This will allow you to access the website and select your test date and time.

Thank you so much @SSBM1000!! I couldn't find the answer to that question anywhere online. You've helped alleviate my worries. Have a lovely day!!! :) <3

• EllegoalsEllegoals Member
    342 karma

@"c.edensmith" said:
    I really hope there is some type of test center we can go too for the LSAT; I prefer pen & paper, over online when taking tests.

LSAC actually stopped administering pen and paper tests, so even if we were able to test in person after COVID-19 has improved, the test will still be on a tablet and not pen and paper.

• 3 karma

@"Juliet--" said:

@lizzogonzo said:

Hi there,

The LSAC hasn't explicitly said so, but it does seem to be a strong inference that the fourth experimental section will be one of LG, LR, or RC.

I was also wondering if in order to prepare for this fourth section during practice testing, whether we should be using the flex simulator or take a full length practice test? Or what would be the best approach to doing practice tests to accurately prepare for this format? Thank you!

• rmmccoy94rmmccoy94 Core Member
    53 karma

@"raegan.loheide" said:

@"Juliet--" said:

@lizzogonzo said:

Hi there,

I was also wondering if in order to prepare for this fourth section during practice testing, whether we should be using the flex simulator or take a full length practice test? Or what would be the best approach to doing practice tests to accurately prepare for this format? Thank you!

I'd take all 4 sections if you're taking a test date with 4 sections. While the 4th won't be scored, it'll be the most accurate representation of how the test is. Though if you wanted, you could simulate the flex and then grab a random section from another test so it's not always 2 logical reasoning

• Cynthia-2Cynthia-2 Member
    498 karma

So to be clear, there will only be one logic reasoning sections right?

• canihazJDcanihazJD Alum Member Sage
    8313 karma

@"cynthiaabreu.ca" said:
    So to be clear, there will only be one logic reasoning sections right?

One scored LG section. If you happen to pull an LG experimental, you will do two LG sections, one of which will be scored.

• leoxycleoxyc Core Member
    8 karma

@Juliet-- Thank you for sharing this information! I am planning to take the LSAT-Flex outside of North America (in the UK) this June. Can I ask if this will be done in a digital format or with a pen-and-paper test?

• majilatmajilat Member
    edited March 2021 99 karma

Can anyone comment on whether the LSAC has improved its accommodations to those who need access to internet/quiet space/etc.? When I took the test, they offered me a voucher to stay at a hotel and sit for the test there, which was ludicrous given that the one hotel in my area was closed due to COVID, and the closest open hotel was 50 miles away and unlikely to have a strong enough internet. In short, can I expect something better this time?

• 180energyonly180energyonly Member
    edited March 2021 122 karma

Hi there! Thanks for posting this. I was hoping for July and Sept tests before this got announced - does an August test plus additional October test cause a significant delay if I want to apply to early decision (and as early as possible in general)? Ie does it hurt my chances of remaining competitive

Think June is too early

@Juliet--

5740 karma

@leoxyc said:
    @Juliet-- Thank you for sharing this information! I am planning to take the LSAT-Flex outside of North America (in the UK) this June. Can I ask if this will be done in a digital format or with a pen-and-paper test?

Hi there,

According to LSAC's site, the June 2021 test will be LSAT Flex. You can find more information on this page: https://www.lsac.org/lsat/lsat-dates-deadlines/june-2021-lsat-flex-deadlines-europe-africa-and-middle-east

edited March 2021 5740 karma

@180energyonly said:
    Hi there! Thanks for posting this. I was hoping for July and Sept tests before this got announced - does an August test plus additional October test cause a significant delay if I want to apply to early decision (and as early as possible in general)? Ie does it hurt my chances of remaining competitive

Think June is too early

@Juliet--

Hi there,

You might find our FAQ helpful. For example, we addressed the question: "Is the November / December / January / February LSAT too late?"

Answer: No.

Longer answer:
    Getting the best score matters most, though if you can't take the LSAT until late in the cycle, you might think about delaying until next cycle.

You can also see our Sample Admissions Timeline on this page.

I hope this helps!

• 180energyonly180energyonly Member
    122 karma

Thanks @Juliet-- helps a ton!

• KAF13SageKAF13Sage Core Member
    19 karma

Can someone clarify here? LSAC says "We are also announcing the June 2021 test date, as well as test dates for the entire next cycle, which will begin in August and run through June 2022". That makes it sound like the June test is NOT part of the next cycle of tests, but I was under the impression that you can only take 3 tests in a cycle "June1-May31". In other words, does taking the June 2021 test count towards the 20-21 year limit or the 21-22 year limit?

• 117 karma

@kylefeuer said:
    Can someone clarify here? LSAC says "We are also announcing the June 2021 test date, as well as test dates for the entire next cycle, which will begin in August and run through June 2022". That makes it sound like the June test is NOT part of the next cycle of tests, but I was under the impression that you can only take 3 tests in a cycle "June1-May31". In other words, does taking the June 2021 test count towards the 20-21 year limit or the 21-22 year limit?

I would also like to see this clarified as April will be my 3rd attempt and I've been relying on June as a worst-case scenario backup. In the case that I need it, really would be a drag to wait until August.

• edited March 2021 117 karma

@bobbyvanderbilt said:

@kylefeuer said:

I would also like to see this clarified as April will be my 3rd attempt and I've been relying on June as a worst-case scenario backup. In the case that I need it, really would be a drag to wait until August.

Looked into it a little more and it seems that the June '21 test does indeed count toward the 20-21 year limit. Wish I had known this sooner.

• --skim----skim-- Alum Member
    102 karma

@bobbyvanderbilt @kylefeuer I'm pretty sure June counts for next cycle's limit so you could take it as long as you're not violating the lifetime rule. Look under "How many times may I take the LSAT?" here: https://www.lsac.org/lsat/taking-lsat/lsat-faqs

• 117 karma

@--skim-- that faq seems to conflict with information elsewhere on the site, as you'll see if you go to the following link: https://www.lsac.org/about/lsac-policies/limits-on-repeating-lsat

Suppose I'll need to contact them directly. Can't wait :/

• alexa723alexa723 Member
    100 karma

Do you have any idea when the actual date of the June 2021 test will be announced, since right now it just says that it will be sometime the week of the 12th?

edited March 2021 5740 karma

@alexa723 said:
    Do you have any idea when the actual date of the June 2021 test will be announced, since right now it just says that it will be sometime the week of the 12th?

Hi there,

Sorry, the LSAC has not provided us with any information regarding when the date for the June 2021 LSAT will be announced. As soon as we receive an update from the LSAC, we will update the LSAT dates in this discussion thread.