Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is the reasoning for taking the LSAT in winter/spring?

StinkyGarbageStinkyGarbage Member
edited February 2021 in General 15 karma

If law schools typically open for applications in the fall, and decisions typically come out in spring, what reason do people that take the LSAT in winter/spring take it then for? I figure if I want to perform at my best then the best time to take is as close to when applications open as possible (making room for the possible retake if needed) so that I have the more time to study for it. But it seems like a pretty substantial portion of test takers take the exam in winter/spring. Is it just personal schedule circumstances or am I missing something else?

@ People who took the February LSAT or are planning to take the April LSAT.

Comments

• JDream2025JDream2025 Alum Member
    edited February 2021 990 karma

I initially signed up for November then moved it to January and then ended up taking it in February. It was something I did because I didn’t feel ready and poor decision on my part. It can be serves factors, for me it was not feeling my best or really prepared. Some people do get accepted to schools but want to be in a better position to bargain scholarships and they go back and try to retake it again to have better footing.

• Some college students prefer to take the exam in the Fall after their final exams. There are usually a few weeks between Fall and Spring that students utilize for test prep. It varies. If your diagnostic is around a 159-161and your dream school's median is 155, you probably wouldn't need too much time to prepare. There are also pre-law programs that almost guarantee admission into a pre-law student's undergraduate law program (i.e. 3+3). The LSAT is typically required, but maybe the program doesn't put much emphasis on high scores. My undergraduate school did this to maintain/protect the law school's median GPA, as they were getting a lot of splitter applicants. Maybe people don't care about taking the LSAT during an admission cycle. If I were PTing around my goal score, I would take it when I'm ready, even if that meant taking it in the middle of someone else's application cycle. I don't think it matters when you take it if you aren't applying during that cycle. Are the people you are referring to taking the LSAT during their cycle?

• WouldRatherBeEatingWouldRatherBeEating Alum Member
    456 karma

Some people also take it twice. So I took one in October and one in February; however, I’m not applying for this current cycle, I’m applying in the cycle that opens in the fall. I came into this not sure how long I needed to study so sort of began studying in March just randomly. I tested in October & was messed up for technical reasons, so I pushed back my application another year & decided to take the February lsat because it is the last one that happened during my 7sage subscription... also, people may not like the LSAT being the last part of their application they work on—for example, essays may be very important for some students seeking scholarships so they may also be working on those after they finish the LSAT. Then there’s the factor of burnout. Could I have taken the LSAT in the summer and extended my 7sage for several more months and had more time to study? Sure, but at that point I’d have been going hard for nearly a year and a half & that just sounds like it would totally burn me out & not let me focus on any softs that are important to scholarships (I’m not so interested in being accepted to a school as I am in getting enough money to make attending a viable option lol).

• Lizardking-1Lizardking-1 Member
    358 karma

"What is the reasoning for taking the LSAT in winter/spring?"
    Applying later in the cycle. I haven't been happy with my PT scores, and want a 170. I'm sitting for April, and may sit again in June. Its not unlikely that ill be deciding where I'm attending over the summer. Not everyone applies early, despite the obvious advantages of doing so.