Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How do you know when you're ready to take the LSAT?

em_41992em_41992 Core Member
in General 26 karma

Hi all,

With today being the last day to sign up for April, I'm questioning If I should be signing up. April was my original goal date to take the LSAT. However, I've been studying since July 2020, and my score has been stuck at 157 for the last couple of months. I'm about seven years out of undergrad, and I work full time at a pretty busy, deadline-driven job. I generally study about an hour to an hour and a half each day. I have a 3.2 from undergrad, and I am hoping to get at least a 165 on the LSAT.

Given all this, is it reasonable to think that I could jump from a 157 to a 165 by the April 2021 LSAT date? Now that I've signed up for 7 Sage and am using the Powerscore books, I'm approaching studying a little differently. (Before this, I worked through the LSAT Trainer and old practice tests). I plan to apply for next year's cycle, so I still have time take other tests. But I also don't want to spend another four months studying If it's not necessary since I'm feeling kind of burnt out from juggling everything.

I also want to know how you knew when you were ready to take the test? Were you scoring where you wanted to when you signed up?

Comments

• JY posted the following a few years ago, and it sometimes reappears in the discussion after some of the major test months:

For most of you, you already know what score you'll get. Take your last three recent properly administered LSAT PrepTests (e.g., 72, 73, 74) and average your scores. You'll get plus or minus 3 points of that average.

Now of course this isn't a guarantee, but if you are dead set on scoring a 165 and you aren't scoring +/- 3 of that, then I would consider putting the LSAT off until you've had more time to go through 7sage and PowerScore and improve your scores on the PTs.

• jpelberfeldjpelberfeld Alum Member
    87 karma

That kind of jump will be tough, especially with that schedule. I don't think it's impossible, especially if you're missing a bunch of LG questions, but like @"Fabius Cunctator" cited, the LSAT is standardized. The point of the exam is to define your LSAT abilities to a number as accurately as possible. You are most likely to score your average. To have that sort of increase, you'll have to change something fundamentally. Not impossible, but with your busy schedule, improbable.

• teechj117teechj117 Core Member
    edited March 2021 291 karma

I'm in a similar boat. I started studying consistently last summer as well. Same GPA in uni (and several years removed), same desired test score. I started a bit after I graduated, but ran into different jobs and towns. Like you, I only had time for an hour or two a day. I tried a few methods, but I didn't find much improvement, so I would put the test away for months at a time. Part of my problem was not embracing it as a hobby. This is something I learned from the podcasts (which I highly recommend btw).

Over the 2 to 3 the years when I was in and out of study, I felt like the negativity would only snowball my self-limiting beliefs. If you are feeling burnt out, and you say you have time, then give yourself more time. Nothing is more depressing to your score than the mindset behind the approach.

Hope this helps.

• WouldRatherBeEatingWouldRatherBeEating Alum Member
    456 karma

I agree with taking more time based on that score. That said, if you want a little more time to to decide, you can schedule your LSAT now and then MAKE SURE you postpone the exam to a different date by the free date change deadline if you still haven’t improved your score.

• canihazJDcanihazJD Alum Member Sage
    8313 karma

If I needed a 165 I wouldn't take the test until I was comfortably PT'ing in the high 160s. You should expect a penalty on test day.

• em_41992em_41992 Core Member
    26 karma

@teechj117 said:
    Over the 2 to 3 the years when I was in and out of study, I felt like the negativity would only snowball my self-limiting beliefs. If you are feeling burnt out, and you say you have time, then give yourself more time. Nothing is more depressing to your score than the mindset behind the approach.

Thanks so much for this insight! I'm really going to try to implement your advice as I continue my studies.

• Wow are you my twin? Because I'm in the EXACT same boat. I signed up for April, but since we have until March 20 something to change test dates without a penalty I am keeping that in the back of my mind too. :)

• Bebop_the_CowboyBebop_the_Cowboy Core Member
    21 karma

I'm about 2-3 years removed from university. I'm smiling, because this is similar to my situation. I just started with 7sage after a kick in the ass from life. I think approaching it as a hobby is a good mindset. I'd be wary of putting the test date before the goal score. When time gets involved I feel like we tend to be overly critical and more judgmental. This is a craft. It takes time to master it. It's okay if your time looks different from another students. But with that being said I BELIEVE IN YOU! Make the decision that's best for you.