LSAT Test Form - I am really confused

mrinalini.v92mrinalini.v92 Yearly Member
in General 22 karma

Hi all,

So I remember a time where the LSAT was 6 sections, the first 5 included two LR sections, one RC and one Games, with an experimental section, and the 6th section was an unscored writing sample.

7Sages tests, the ones you can print and take physically are 4 sections and they score calculations are based on all 4 sections. But apparently, the most recent non flex tests are 5 sections, including two LR, one RC, and one game, but one of the LRs are experimental? With the last section again being the writing sample.

For the LSAT flex, the sections are just three, one LR, one RC and one games, with a writing sample you have to do at some point prior. But I am told the score calculations between this and the above are no different.

I think there is a disconnect between how 7Sage scores it’s tests. How is the flex scored differently than normal?

I don’t know if that made any sense, I hope someone can help me put the pieces together.

Comments

• WouldRatherBeEatingWouldRatherBeEating Alum Member
    456 karma

The flex is scored differently than normal, as each question is still weighted equally. This means LR went from counting for 50% of your grade to only 33%. RC & games both jumped from only 25% each to roughly 33% each as well. RC counts a little more I believe as it has the most questions per section. The first LSAT flex from May has been released and shows exactly how the flex is graded. Three sections also means no break.

Also, you can take the writing after the exam if you’d like, I took mine the day after.

But in August, LSAC is adding back the experimental section, so that means there will be four total sections and you’ll get a break. However, it will still be graded the same as the current flex (each section roughly equaling 33%).

• SheboyganBoiSheboyganBoi Member
    195 karma

I think you're a little confused on the "most recent non-flex tests" part. To my knowledge, since 1991, the LSAT has been the same format of 6 sections: 2 LR, 1 RC, 1 LG, 1 unscored experimental of any of the three types, and the writing sample. Obviously, this past year it changed with the introduction of the flex being just 3 sections plus the writing sample (which you can take before or after but just need it approved to get your score).

Like @WouldRatherBeEating mentioned, the flex is weighted less towards LR now than before since it's only one section. If you wanna look the raw score to scale score conversion chart (number correct to score out of 120-180) for the May 2020 flex vs previous tests, check out this link!
    https://lsac.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360056747654-May-2020-LSAT-FLEX-Sample-Conversion-Chart