Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to improve on Argument Part and Flaw questions

lsat2021-1lsat2021-1 Core Member
edited March 2021 in Logical Reasoning 246 karma

Hi,

I've noticed that I am not improving on argument part and flaw questions even after having a relatively good sense of identifying the premise, conclusion and flaw (I've gone over the flaw list plenty of times). I usually do fine on them under untimed conditions because I have enough time to parse down the grammar and rephrase the sentences in my own words but don't perform well under pressure. I think a reason I am unable to pick the right answer instantly is because the language describing the flaws and arguments confuses me or doesn't make sense on the first read. Can anyone recommend any resources or tips on how to overcome this? Thank you!

Comments

• swanganieswanganie Yearly Member
    294 karma

Wow I literally came onto the forums to post about my struggles with these two question types. Both should be low-hanging fruit and I'm also finding that even 3-star questions ACs make me pause way too long when I'm under time pressure. I'm spending this whole week to return to the CC, drill Flaw questions, and parse every single AC before I take my next PT this weekend. When reviewing, I'm consulting JY's video explanation as well as Manhattan Prep and Powerscore forums which often have great write-ups that sheds new light on the ACs. Maybe you also just need more exposure to the abstract language?

• lsat2021-1lsat2021-1 Core Member
    246 karma

@swanganie said:
    Wow I literally came onto the forums to post about my struggles with these two question types. Both should be low-hanging fruit and I'm also finding that even 3-star questions ACs make me pause way too long when I'm under time pressure. I'm spending this whole week to return to the CC, drill Flaw questions, and parse every single AC before I take my next PT this weekend. When reviewing, I'm consulting JY's video explanation as well as Manhattan Prep and Powerscore forums which often have great write-ups that sheds new light on the ACs. Maybe you also just need more exposure to the abstract language?

Hi! Honestly I don’t know what else to do so I’ve been doing a deep blind review of these questions too in hopes of making them click. Good luck to you!

• June LSAT RetakeJune LSAT Retake Core Member
    102 karma

@swanganie what do you mean by low hanging fruit

• nomomnomnomomnom Member
    412 karma

Hi there, I used to struggle with flaw question types but what helped me was drilling those question types specifically (medium, harder, and hardest once you can anticipate and answer one-two star difficulty questions with ease), identifying/recognizing cookie cutter flaws, and following JY's two step test (1-descriptively accurate and 2-actually describing the flaw) for questions that are harder to anticipate on intuition alone. The language can be abstract and challenging but I think more exposure to the material and the same flaws and consistent drilling should help you get over that barrier. I hope this helps!

• swanganieswanganie Yearly Member
    294 karma

@AprilLSAT said:
    @swanganie what do you mean by low hanging fruit

As in they test our fundamentals and are one of the most common LR question types, so we should really try to get em down so we can spend time on harder q’s. :)

Offering myself up for maybe doing focused study group chat/call on these question types if anyone is interested @natal310

• lsat2021-1lsat2021-1 Core Member
    246 karma

@swanganie sure. Let me message you