Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should I update law schools about a part-time internship?

arnisya97arnisya97 Alum Member
edited March 2021 in Law School Admissions 139 karma

Hi, hope all are doing very well <3

I already sent my apps in. For health reasons, I have been unemployed since graduating in 2019. Apart from recovering, I have spent time furthering my education. I wrote an addendum explaining this in my applications and have thankfully been admitted to several law schools already, so I don't believe this has automatically made me unappealing to any law school. I also graduated summa cum laude from an Ivy League, got a 171, and did a lot of extracurriculars and worked part time in undergrad.

I recently got a part-time internship writing articles for a legal firm's website. I just wanted something that would expose me to legal research and writing for the few months before law schools begins. I had a hard time finding full-time jobs that would take me on for such a short time commitment and let me work remotely.

Is this something worth updating law schools that I have not heard from yet? I am also currently waitlisted at 3 schools. Should I update them too?

Also, how should I update them? By sending an updated résumé (which will be mostly identical to the one they already have) or sending an email?

Thank you so much.

Comments

• Selene SteelmanSelene Steelman Free Trial Member Admissions Consultant
    2037 karma

Speaking as a former admissions officer, this is new, substantive information that could help an admissions committee evaluate your candidacy. It also shows a demonstrated interest in law as well as your writing skill which is relevant and helpful. I would revise your resume and send it to all the schools at which your application is active (under review and waitlist). I would attach the resume to an email that reiterates your interest in the school and also describes your new position and responsibilities. This serves as an update to your file and a sign of continued interest. Good luck!

• arnisya97arnisya97 Alum Member
    139 karma

@"selene.steelman" said:
    Speaking as a former admissions officer, this is new, substantive information that could help an admissions committee evaluate your candidacy. It also shows a demonstrated interest in law as well as your writing skill which is relevant and helpful. I would revise your resume and send it to all the schools at which your application is active (under review and waitlist). I would attach the resume to an email that reiterates your interest in the school and also describes your new position and responsibilities. This serves as an update to your file and a sign of continued interest. Good luck!

Thank you so much for your insight! I really appreciate the advice. I will get on this ASAP.