Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Studying while in school & with time constraints

ldenslowldenslow Member

Hey everybody! I am slotted to take the LSAT in April, and I'm feeling a little stressed out. I was hoping to push back my test date to June, but I just got an internship that is going to require me to move across the country. I've been study for 4-5 months now, and I think that maybe I should just go ahead and take the April one before I have to leave for my internship.

It would really help me out if someone has advice for last minute studying given these time constraints (important to note: I am also in college...). I think I'll have to take it twice regardless, but I don't want to just throw away my chances of a decent score in April. Plz help!

Comments

• canihazJDcanihazJD Alum Member Sage
    8313 karma

Where are your PT scores relative to your target score?

Your undergrad GPA should be the priority, even if it means delaying the LSAT.

• CyberGypsyCyberGypsy Alum Member
    4 karma

I definitely hear you. I am working full time, while studying for this test and it is truly draining. If this is your first time taking the test, don't feel discouraged about having to take it again. Most schools will go for your highest score anyways.

As for time constraints, make sure to set aside time everyday after your classes to do a quick LG and a set of LR. Then on the your days off make sure to put in all your time into PT and then reviewing. Do not drain yourself out though, that is very important. Being a full time at something + studying for the LSAT can take a toll on you.

If you plan to take it again, then just look at this April test as just a practice. Also, you can always cancel your score while taking the test, if you feel like you totally bombed it.

Good luck!

• edited March 2021 183 karma

I'm slotted for the April exam, too, and I began studying in January. For context, I'm an active Army officer who just moved to Europe with a baby on the way and took a command position, so I can understand some of the stressors you might be facing. I've found success through a disciplined schedule. I've carved out two periods of my day that I dedicate for studying: 530-630 AM when I get to work, and 5-6 PM before I head home. It was painful for the first few weeks, but humans are creatures of habit, and when a person creates a routine, from my experience, the mind and body are ready to go and you maximize your study efforts. It also helps you feel in control. That schedule helped me study and progress despite moving, change of command, and being in command, and creating something similar you can adhere to may help with your situation, too. Success, fun, and sleep are all part of that triangle where you can only have 2 of 3 at any time. Figure out where you can sacrifice from, find that time, and make it routine. I've always sacrificed sleep, but that's just me.

I also like to use an analogy to help with preventing burnout. If you're into Crossfit, endurance events, weightlifting, etc., you've probably heard the saying "listen to your body." I've found studying for the LSAT is quite similar. If I'm studying for 5 minutes and literally nothing is clicking, I take a second and determine whether I need a break or not. If there's a lot of work stress or whatever sometimes I opt to do something else, or bust a workout to clear my head. That doesn't mean only study when you feel like it; it just means be self-aware.

That all being said, I do agree with the above comment about your UGPA. Once you graduate your GPA is locked. The LSAT is not going anywhere, and you have time to prepare for that. Prioritize your effort. I would definitely put everything into my GPA while I could still impact it. My UGPA is great, but I do look at some of my grades and wish I cared a little more about that class and less about that Thursday beer. But, I digress.

If it were me, I'd go for the June exam, create a schedule for myself to adhere to, attack my GPA, then crush the test. If I bombed the April test I'd feel like I would be put into recovery mode and that would detract from everything else in my life. And I'd feel like I wasted money. You have time on your side, use it to your advantage to attack the LSAT at 100% or as close as you can be. It's your decision, but as I like to tell my Soldiers, I want to help you make an informed decision. Hope that helps.