Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should I Reschedule April Test?

Burt ReynoldsBurt Reynolds Alum Member Sage
edited March 2021 in April 2021 LSAT 957 karma

I took PT 62 and it was an absolute dumpster fire. On my ten most recent PTs I've averaged 170+ but everything went wrong today. For the first time in months A) I didn't finish games and B ) I had to guess on some LR questions (I didn't get to every question).

I'm likely burnt out as I'm adjusting to my new full-time job and I'm struggling to find the right balance/study schedule. I got a 166 in January and don't plan to apply until Fall '22. I don't have a dream school, I just want to do my best and keep options open.

I'd love to get everyone's advice -- especially anyone who successfully retook. Thanks!

Comments

• CSieck3507CSieck3507 Member
    1376 karma

Did you plan on taking April? If so, it wouldnt be horrible to reschedule. June is a great time to take since it gives you more time to study and also you would receive your score before applications even open in September. But, if you say you are burnt out, it may be helpful still to reschedule and take some time away to figure out your schedule and get in the groove of your new full time job.

• Burt ReynoldsBurt Reynolds Alum Member Sage
    957 karma

@CSieck3507 I just edited the title for clarity -- I'm currently scheduled for April and I'm thinking about pushing it to June. I'd have to pay a change fee but it's not a big issue. I'm more worried that I won't be able to get into a groove w/ full-time work even if I push.

• 123anami123anami Member
    388 karma

I think more time will definitely help you in this case - so you don't have to feel like you're struggling to find and stick to a routine and also settle into your new job. Especially since if you are registered for April - there's only so much time left to find that new routine.

• 424 karma

Just to offer a quick opinion against the grain ... one score variation out of 11 feels terrible in the moment, but it's not a trend. And you have a significant plus -- you seem to know the problem! My advice? Forget about the test for a week, relax your brain and your body, and rest up for the actual test in April. (I don't know the change deadline, so that may change things), but IMO, it sounds like your issue is that you're ready but exhausted. You have 13 days before the test... take 7 to rest, and then you have 6 to slowly ramp up and get your mind ready. If you take a test in 7 days and also bomb it, then change the date. But if the solution is just rest, mind as well try that first?

957 karma

@uvababyhoo I'm a little worried that the longer I push this test, the more rusty I'll become. I used to split my time between part-time work and studying and it wasn't too difficult to balance. Now that work is far more demanding and chaotic I'm worried it's going to be difficult to build the same confidence going into test day.

957 karma

@justanotherusernametoremeber said:
    (I don't know the change deadline, so that may change things), but IMO, it sounds like your issue is that you're ready but exhausted.

I can move the test date up until the day before but it'll cost $125. We're passed the no charge move date, so it doesn't really matter when I move it. Appreciate the advice!

• I'm in the exact same boat as you and my thought was instead of paying 125 to change it just pay the 200 to take it again if you don't do as well. I think if you can afford it it's better to get the experience in. Have you been taking PTs on LSAC hub or just 7sage?

957 karma

@"Timmy Is an Avg Kid that No One Understands" I've taken PTs in both 7sage and LawHub - I'm mostly concerned w/ having a dip in actual scores. I took the LSAT in 2019 (161) and then scored the 166 this January. Really want to nail this one so it looks like an upward trend.