PT50.S1.Q25 (P4) - One of the foundations of scientific research

slxyzvvv-1slxyzvvv-1 Member
edited March 2021 in Reading Comprehension 120 karma

Hi,

I don't understand why B isn't the correct answer choice for this question. The passage says S and O "make a distinction between this type of uncertainty and that known as "chaos". To me this is pretty clear the mentioning of "chaos" is in order to show that the physical irregularities in S and O's model are not the same type with the ones in "chaos", thus I chose B. I just don't think D is very convincing bc it's not just a matter of degree of unpredictability— this unpredictability is totally a different type.

Admin Note: https://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-50-section-1-passage-4-questions/

Comments

• a.gianino7a.gianino7 Member
    86 karma

Hey! Do you mean Q23? If yes, then...
    I also choose B when I took this the other day and had a hard time seeing D. I think the main problem with B is the phrase "unusual types." The paragraph before includes notches and zigzags in its description of physical irregularities. 'Unusual' in AC B most likely means different, but nothing in the passage makes us think that systems of chaos have different types physical irregularities. AC B is saying that the two are different because one has some types of physical irregularities (like notches and zigzags, etc,) and the other system has different types (like divets or turns or something, idk). So AC B is saying the physical irregularities that comprise each system are different from each other. But ultimately, we can't make that inference given anything in the passage.

The passage does give us info that the systems are different in the extent to which the physical irregularities are unpredictable, hence (D): in S and O's system, the paths and the end result are always unpredictable; in systems of chaos, the paths can be unpredictable but the end result is always predictable. That's a difference the extent of unpredictability, aka degree.
    Hope this helps!

• slxyzvvv-1slxyzvvv-1 Member
    120 karma

Thank you! It is indeed Q23... sorry that was my bad.
    The reason I thought they were indeed different types of irregularities is because in the passage it says "a distinction between this type of uncertainty and that known as chaos." To me it seems the passage is indicating they are of different types. If they were the same type of irregularities but just differ in degree, like AC D suggests, why would the passage make a distinction between this "type" of irregularities and chaos? To be honest, this word "type" that occurs in both the original passage and in AC B made me so certain that B was the right answer that I didn't even hesitate on this question when I was doing it lol