Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Taking LSAT-Flex with MacBook Air?

Hi all!

I am planning to take the exam with my MacBook Air, but I heard from a friend who did the same last November that the experience was disastrous...Is it really that bad? Could someone share his/her experience? Thank you!

Comments

• 10 karma

Following this post, because I went out and bought the new MacBook Air specifically for the LSAT in April...

• acquadiiceacquadiice Core Member
    121 karma

no issues with a new mbp

• adrianaisabeladrianaisabel Member
    56 karma

I took the January test with my (2014) Macbook Air. Didn't have any issues at all! Don't stress :)

• fieldcross255fieldcross255 Member
    36 karma

do it on a touch screen.

• LeonLaw21LeonLaw21 Core Member
    edited March 2021 47 karma

I took a Major Field Test for my business degree and it was administered through ProctorU. I have the new M1 chip 2020 MacBook Air. Had no issues; it ran super smooth.

• teeeeeeeteeeeeee Core Member
    33 karma

I have done several tests through ProctorU with my macbook air (the LSAT and others for classes I have taken) and it has always run smoothly! Just make sure you have enough free RAM to meet ProctorU's requirements

• aszane21aszane21 Member
    350 karma

I took Jan with my 2020 macbook air (with the M1 silicon chips) and it was totally fine. I found that in Firefox I couldn't scroll down but it works perfectly fine with Chrome

• kkole444kkole444 Alum Member
    1687 karma

You can test your equipment here:
    https://go.proctoru.com/testitout
    and if you need you can always connect to a proctorU representative to have them run a system check the same if not very similar to the one you will have on test day. I am not sure if you need an account with them to do it, but either way you will be able to check your system before you take the exam.

• canihazJDcanihazJD Alum Member Sage
    8313 karma

I used a 2015 Air. Just have them check your equipment.

• khizerawan9khizerawan9 Core Member
    7 karma

I used a 2014 Air in November and didn't have any issues

• OlorintheGreyOlorintheGrey Member
    edited March 2021 57 karma

I use a 2014 Macbook Pro and I tested in Jan. Here is my experience, TL:DR at the end...

Prep:
    I did all of the ProctorU recommendations, I used the above ProctorU tech testing software, I also practiced using the two free LSAT's on LAWHUB to familiarize with the test interface. I also predownloaded the ProctorU Chrome extension.

The sign in process:
    This is what was the most surprising to me. A lot of the time required by the sign-in process was so the proctor could request control of my laptop to change settings before the test. This kind of threw me. I rarely use my OS security password (for changing settings) but thankfully I remembered it. Chronologically the sign in process began with me logging into LSAC LAWHUB and ProctorU and hitting the join button at my apportioned time. This opened a series of windows that had me download/install another program that opened the ProctorU chat feature. At this point my proctor chatted me through giving this program permissions to use the camera and microphone. This is where having my security password handy was useful. My proctor also disabled screenshots and had me turn on the Do Not Disturb feature on a timer for the duration of the test (presumptively to keep notifications from pinging off during the exam).

Once all of the programs/extensions/settings were ready (a total of 10-20 minutes) the proctor had me use a mirror/phone to look around my test area. My proctor focused on making sure I didn't have any post-its affixed to my laptop or any visuals on or under the counter I was sitting at. They proctor also had me hold up each of my sheets of scrap paper (front and back) and since I had ear plugs they had me hold them up (mine were soft silicone, uncorded) and squeeze them hard to show there weren't any hard, non-compressible things inside.

The last thing before the proctor had me log in to LAWHUB (and the actual exam) was ask me if I had any questions. I had some concerns about other proctors talking/taking control while testers were on the timeclock. The proctor clarified that he wouldn't need to do that. I also took that opportunity to make it known that if he did, I would ask for any lost time added back to the clock.

Exam Interface:
    Honestly, I found this was the hardest thing to use with my MBP. I hated using the click pad. I cant tell you how much time the track pad sensitivity and the scroll feature on the pad cost me. I especially hated the Mac features like hot corners, and how they pulled me out of the exam screen a time or two on accident. I didn't get in trouble with my proctor, but it did cost me time and focus.

I also don't think two exams was enough to familiarize myself with the underline, highlight, and font type/size toggle features.

Key Takeaways one Mac user to another:

• No issue with OS
    • Have your settings security password handy to toggle settings
    • Don't be thrown by the time needed to prep the ProctorU programs
    • Unless you can accurately use your trackpad, I'd recommend using mouse + mousepad, also toying with your cursor speed/sensitivity settings so you can get familiar. Hopefully you will avoid time-consuming or confidence-shaking fumbles on test day
    • Before the test preset Do Not Disturb for 3-4 hours
    • A few days before the test run any updates, restart your computer, and close out any and all non-test programs
    • Before the test turn off any odd mac navigation features that accidentally change windows, or do anything unintentional that might break your focus (i.e.)

EDIT: One more takeaway + grammar

• badioucebadiouce Member
    20 karma

i took it in January...no major problems. as a commenter said above, don't get thrown off by setting up proctor u apps at the start...it may not be as smooth as other systems

• meiting.chenmeiting.chen Member
    49 karma

@OlorintheGreyPilgrim OMG THANK YOU!! Now that I know what to expect it makes me feel so much calmer.

• weloverowanweloverowan Core Member
    26 karma

@OlorintheGreyPilgrim What do you mean by +grammar?

Thank you so much, that was VERY helpful. I think I am going to use my Mac with a USB mouse now. I just ran that proctorU test and was shocked to find that my brand new MacBook Pro couldn't locate many of the requirements on its own.

57 karma

@weloverowan I edited the original comment to add a takeaway + (and) to edit grammatical errors.

I'd toy with your mouse settings once you find a suitable mouse. Mine was more sensitive than I was used to so when moving my cursor to highlight on RC I would often overshoot my target until i turned down the sensitivity via the settings. Also consider a mousepad, some BT mice have issues tracking on smooth surfaces.

• mere_mortalmere_mortal Core Member
    91 karma

@OlorintheGreyPilgrim said:
    @weloverowan I edited the original comment to add a takeaway + (and) to edit grammatical errors.

I'd toy with your mouse settings once you find a suitable mouse. Mine was more sensitive than I was used to so when moving my cursor to highlight on RC I would often overshoot my target until i turned down the sensitivity via the settings.

I'm confused why your mouse would be more sensitive than you are used to. Is the laptop you used to take the test borrowed from someone else?

57 karma

@mere_mortal Nope. Bought it new in 2014. Although I'm unsure why that's confusing.

I've always had a little trouble with my track pad. I don't know if it is because my finger callouses from climbing or what.

Sometimes moving diagonally across screen my finger would go off the pad before reaching the part of the screen needed to click. Then I would need to reposition my fingers to finish the motion. I also had trouble scrolling/over-scrolling with the trackpad on the Lawhub interface.

None of these are major hindrances but when you add all of them up it costs precious time. MOST importantly, I found this small difficulty threatened to break my focus and/or shake my confidence. Getting a mouse gave me a scroll wheel -and considering my daily use of a mouse at work- helped me make smoother motions.

YMMV. If you have zero problems using a trackpad on Lawhub, then disregard.

• 10 karma

Just tested the software for the Macbook Air M1, just bought it last week and the camera resolution is too high. I cannot take the exam on this laptop.

• carolinelsatcarolinelsat Member
    103 karma

@kkole444 Do you know the instructions on how to connect to an actual Proctor U representative to have them check? I did the automated check, but want to have an actual proctor check as well if possible (which I think it is from your comment above). Any tips on how to do that on Proctor U? Thank you so much!!

• kkole444kkole444 Alum Member
    1687 karma

@carolinelsat I just engaged with the help desk representative down in the bottom right and told them that I am taking the lsat and want to test if my equipment is alright, because I have gone through the automated test and I keep failing X thing.

• carolinelsatcarolinelsat Member
    103 karma

@kkole444 thanks so much!