Tips for the LSAT - Flex!

I have my exam coming up in a few days and I thought if I practiced hard enough, the fact that it's over the computer might not be such an issue. However, I've noticed that my reading speed is significantly slower when I'm reading off a screen vs. when I'm reading off of paper. Does anyone have any tips on how to make reading off of a screen easier and/or any tips of improving my reading off of a screen? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• OlorintheGreyOlorintheGrey Member
    edited April 2021 57 karma

1: Practice with the Lawhub exams as much as possible.

2: Fiddle with the font and line spacing. I've done a fair number of preptests on 7 sage and the font here is very different (and affects my reading) than Lawhub. I find reducing the font size and increasing the line spacing helps me, but YMMV

• brookegojazzbrookegojazz Core Member
    360 karma

Blue light glasses have helped a bit for me!

• jaskoajanovicjaskoajanovic Member
    20 karma

@OlorintheGrey
    Lawhub is the LSAC platform tests? I'm unfamiliar with LawHub.. :$

• jaskoajanovicjaskoajanovic Member
    20 karma

@brookegojazz I have a night light filter on my computer which helps a lot but it still isn't the same as reading off of paper :(

• Lime Green DotLime Green Dot Member
    edited April 2021 1384 karma

@OlorintheGrey said:
    1: Practice with the Lawhub exams as much as possible.

2: Fiddle with the font and line spacing. I've done a fair number of preptests on 7 sage and the font here is very different (and affects my reading) than Lawhub. I find reducing the font size and increasing the line spacing helps me, but YMMV

How did you get this font to be so incredible huge? Too bad we can't work this magic on the Flex XD

@jaskoajanovic
    Have you tried "speed reading" applications? Here's one I use that's free: http://www.phrasereader.com/

If you feel you start out reading naturally at a certain pace, say 350 wpm, increase your wpm a little bit (ex: to 375 wpm), and practice going in rounds a little more and with a little longer text each time. Start out by snipping a paragraph or two from an article, paste it into the box and see if you can read and retain the information comfortably. Do the whole Memory Method, and see if you can parse out the lo- and hi- res summaries for each paragraph and MP if you encounter it in the text you pasted in. Try it again with a bit longer text and a slightly higher wpm. Repeat the process until you've hit the point of diminishing returns, and try practicing everyday to train your brain to get used to the speed. It's of course a different format than LawHub, but this can at least help you with the speed aspect.

I second blue light glasses! But yeah, nothing beats good ol' print on paper.

• lilpinglinglilpingling Member
    638 karma

@jaskoajanovic you should have access to law hub because you paid the $99 to sign up for it when you joined 7sage. Just Google it. I preferred to do my PT on 7sage because I liked the platform more, but law hub gives you an exact representation of the actual exam. It's not that different, but a few aspects of it are unique and it's easy to get thrown off by something being in a different place. For example, I got frustrated bc the highlight feature is a little different and I kept losing time trying to double click to highlight a word (something you can do on 7sage but not lawhub).

• tonyahardzinskitonyahardzinski Core Member
    307 karma

Another 7sager suggested dimming the light on the computer. I feel you though. I’m 25/26 on RC on paper and STRUGGLE to get to 20 on the computer. I worked Lg a ton to help compensate for the difference

• canihazJDcanihazJD Alum Member Sage
    edited April 2021 8313 karma

Definitely concur with playing around with spacing, font size, and even the zoom on your browser. I made sure I knew exactly what settings would make for the optimal view (on full screen for me) beforehand. The border around the testing window irritates me so getting rid of it was great.

Also maybe I'm just weird, but I found that a really good mouse helps, for scrolling and especially if you use the cursor to track reading or you employ the annotation tools. I tried my kid's gaming mouse, and it felt so much better I got one of my own.

• Austin.hutchinson1Austin.hutchinson1 Core Member
    104 karma

@canihazJD said:
    Also maybe I'm just weird, but I found that a really good mouse helps, for scrolling and especially if you use the cursor to track reading or you employ the annotation tools. I tried my kid's gaming mouse, and it felt so much better I got one of my own.

Oh my god! What a great suggestion, I never thought about an external mouse, but yeah that would be way way better than dealing with my trackpad and stuff. I'm going to buy one tonight, easily one of the best bits of advice I've read this week!