Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Just got my first perfect sheet on PT68 and I'm freaking jumping through walls right now.

B.L. WalshB.L. Walsh Member
in General 34 karma
I feel like I could run an Ironman in an Iron-Man suit. I feel like Spider-Man after he got bit by that radioactive spider from Charlotte's Web. I feel like Kanye West when he sees himself in the mirror.

This was exactly the boost of confidence I needed going into my last week of preparing for the June LSAT. Thank you, JY and the rest of the crew! This course was my only real preparation and it brought my score from the low 160s to where I'm now consistently scoring 175+.

If you're not where you feel you need to be, stick with the program and don't be afraid to ask for help. In college I was notorious for never studying, but I've put upwards of 200 hours into this test now and I honestly barely noticed it. This system is phenomenal, especially if you're someone like me who only vaguely knows how to study but loves learning.

Seriously, I feel like a champion right now. 180! What the hell! Never thought I was capable of even coming within ten points of that on a PT. Now I need to go to sleep (as soon as I run off this energy).

Comments

• brna0714brna0714 Alum Inactive ⭐
    1489 karma
    Congratulations! That's awesome!
  • Nanchito-1-1Nanchito-1-1 Yearly Member
    1762 karma
    Holy moly!!! Congrats!!! You're gonna kick butt on test day!
  • Julia LJulia L Alum Member
    354 karma
    amazing!! yes, get lots of sleep and stay healthy :)
  • AlejandroAlejandro Member Inactive ⭐
    2424 karma
    Dude!! That's freaking amazing! Congrats man, you give me hope.
  • Focus!Focus!Focus!Focus!Focus!Focus! Alum Member
    38 karma
    haha "i feel like kanye west when he looks in the mirror" Congrats!!
  • iustitiaiustitia Member
    30 karma
    Awesome!! enjoy the fruits of your labour.
    Good luck!
  • blah170blahblah170blah Alum Inactive ⭐
    3545 karma
    Congratulations!!!!! You know you've succeeded when you start to feel like Kanye!
  • inactiveinactive Alum Member
    12637 karma
    GOOD JOB!!
  • iiiSpooniiiSpoon Alum Inactive ⭐
    277 karma
    I'm so jelly. . .But congrats!!!
  • sarkisp23sarkisp23 Alum Member
    374 karma
    You're my hero LOL good job
  • ramster1ramster1 Member
    109 karma
    Don't know you, but I'm totally proud of you. Hope you kick some booty on the test!
  • Matt1234567Matt1234567 Inactive ⭐
    1294 karma
    Most epic post, ever.
  • JuliaZLSATJuliaZLSAT Member
    77 karma
    You rock, man!!! Congrats! Way to go!! Very inspirational!!
  • visualcreedvisualcreed Member Inactive ⭐
    326 karma
    Awesome stuff, how long have you been studying?
  • B.L. WalshB.L. Walsh Member
    34 karma
    Thanks for the kind words, everyone!

visualcreed, I've been studying pretty much full-time for the past six weeks, but in my undergraduate degree I took a couple of logic courses and read mountains and mountains of exceedingly dry academic material, so I think that helped a lot in picking up the techniques quickly.
  • Student76Student76 Alum Member
    324 karma
    Amazing! Any chance you could push your test back to sept?! Kidding, good luck on Monday!
  • mes08mes08 Alum Member
    578 karma
    @"B.L. Walsh" congrats, that's really great! Like everyone else, happy for you and I admire the effort you put in :}

P.S. Who is that in your pic? I forgot the guy/character's name but his Youtube vids are hilarious
  • fefortv36fefortv36 Member
    14 karma
    This is unreal, congrats dude!! You're gonna kill it on test day.

And @"mes08": his name is Dom Mazetti. Ridiculous, but definitely hilarious lol
  • NYC12345NYC12345 Alum Inactive Sage
    edited June 2015 1654 karma
    @"B.L. Walsh"
    First and foremost I would like to congratulate you on your impressive accomplishment. If it's not too much trouble, would you mind telling us how you improved from the lower 160s to consistently scoring 175+? I'm currently scoring around 163 and it would be very useful to hear how someone got out of the lower 160s plateau.
  • B.L. WalshB.L. Walsh Member
    34 karma
    @mes08 the other poster was right, it's BroScienceLife's Dom Mazzeti (aka the Brofessor). Probably my favorite youtube channel, and I'm a mod for one of the smaller fitness subreddits so I had that photo lying around from an April Fools' Day gag.

@alexandergreene93 I'll address my improvement specifically by talking about each section.

LG- I missed three of these questions on my diagnostic PT, but after the lessons I haven't missed a single LG question on any PT that I've taken thus far. For whatever reason, this section came to me very naturally and I've only spent more than 8 minutes on a handful of games throughout the PTs. That being said, the things that have engendered that natural response are repetition, repetition, and repetition. When going through the lessons, I would complete some of the harder games five or six times until I could get the diagramming and implications done in as close to sixty seconds as I could manage, and I'd do the same thing after PTs with games that I felt I spent too much time on. Once you've drilled these diagrams, you can begin to anticipate what types of questions each problem set is likely to ask, and you'll begin to develop a plan of attack for each type of game (even the odd ones). So drill, baby, drill, until you get to the stage where your anticipations aren't necessarily correct, but they're reasonable.

LR- This is my next best section. I'll typically drop 1-3 LR questions per PT over both sections, so that I'm essentially missing 1.5 per section. Contrast that with my diagnostic PT where I missed 8 total, and you can see that this is probably my main area of real improvement. Again, this was done through drilling the problem types until I could anticipate the answer choices to such a degree that I could quickly eliminate several wrong answers. According to the Question Type Analysis in my LSAT Analytics section, I have the most trouble with Parallel Method of Reasoning which, while annoying, makes some sense as it is probably the most time-consuming question type for me. I also keep track on my own of the recent trends in terms of the questions that I'm missing. This allows me to (1) recognize when I started having trouble with any given type of question and (2) anticipate where my future problems are likely to be based on my performance on the most recent exams. If I see I missed a certain type of question on the last two tests or three out of the last four, I go watch the videos again and drill the material.

RC- This is my worst section, which is incredibly annoying because I am a very fast and detailed reader so I was hoping that RC would be my ace in the hole. I missed three questions on the diagnostic, and I still typically miss 2 or 3 questions per test, making RC where I lose the most points per question and where I've made the least amount of improvement. The questions I miss most often are the ones where you're asked to identify a statement justified in the passage (which should be easy money), the main point questions (which should be easy money), and the questions about the author's attitude towards something (which should be easy money). My trouble with RC and these "easy" questions is that I am almost almost erring on the side of specificity, and not giving the passage room to breathe. If I were to give any advice on this section it would be to relax, and take some time after the passage to jot some quick, short notes and let the passage kind of wash over you before starting on the questions. I started doing that with recent PTs and my points lost per question has fallen significantly.

Other than that, be diligent about timekeeping so that you can develop a keen sense of what 35 minutes feels like. If you're not using the 7Sage app or website to proctor, do it. Change the voices up all the time and keep the volume on the loudest setting so it kind of startles you when they say "five minutes remaining". Take the test in different places, and loud places if you can. Two days ago I took the test at a Starbucks about an hour after all of the schools released for summer, so the cafe was literally infested with loud, terrible children. Take the test in that kind of environment if you can. Your score won't be as good, so make sure you get in a solid BR, but any distractions on test day will be the music of the gods compared to two tables of middle schoolers shouting at each other.

And relax! If you tense up, if your pulse is racing, if your jaw is clenched, you are quite literally wasting energy. Wasting energy on physical processes diminishes your body's ability to focus on mental processes. I wholeheartedly agree with the program's recommendation to meditate for fifteen or thirty minutes a day; it shows you how to settle your brain down and focus on the task at hand.

I hope that helps! I'm all out of sage wisdom. I'd be happy to answer any other questions, too.
  • visualcreedvisualcreed Member Inactive ⭐
    326 karma
    That's pretty amazing, I've been studying part time for about 3 months and you've been studying for 6 weeks! It does sound like you had a good foundation, something I definitely do not, actually I probably did but after 10 years you tend to lose some of that foundation. Anyway, awesome and its fine to drop a few questions to help the rest of us with the curve ;).