Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Timing Anxiety

in General 571 karma

My PTs typically range 155-157. Per section based on the flex option: LR (-8), RC (-9), and LG (-7). I believe that I have made significant progress in understanding the question types and how to successfully implement strategies. However, this implementation does not go so well when I am actually taking a timed PT. I have a nearly 100% accuracy rate throughout each section but run out of time, thus resulting in many guesses. On average -- on a 3 section test -- it looks like I am having to guess on 15 questions cumulatively. Now, it is important to note that I do not have this timing issue when doing sections alone and not PTs. I think it may have to do with the anxiety associated with taking the full test. On BR, I rarely miss any questions, so it is certainly a timing issue. Is there any advice in overcoming the anxiety aspect of taking PTs and the official exam?

Comments

• edited April 2021 183 karma

The best way to overcome anxiety is practice. The amount of practice required is different for every person; the LSAT may require minimal, some, or a lot of practice. Just remember nothing worth doing in life is easy and keep working hard.

As to your time issue, I think you need to develop an LSAT taking strategy; answer the questions you are strongest in first. For example: I was struggling quite a bit on the tests with my LR. After reviewing my analytics I was struggling notably with necessary assumption questions. Therefore, I practiced NAs a lot, but when I took my PTs I skipped every NA question I saw. That way I got to the questions I knew how to do and got through the entire section faster and built back a lot of time to review. With that extra time I would then more carefully review my NA questions. I no longer found myself guessing on my NAs and guessing on easy questions I had no time for. The result: I did dramatically better on LR and my NAs. I still address my NA questions that way even though I'm far better at them now because I'm super comfortable with the strategy. When you let hard questions sink your time you leave a lot of questions on the table. Don't let those questions that hurt you take time. Make a strategy, test it, and if it works use it. I think the confidence in a strategy that shows tangible results could help with your test taking anxiety. You are no longer taking the LSAT; you are attacking it after setting the appropriate conditions for success.

I found that strategy especially helpful and applicable to all 3 sections. I hope you find it helpful as well.

• Lime Green DotLime Green Dot Member
    edited April 2021 1384 karma

I second practice! It's a big, ol' cliche, but "practice makes... better!" I was personally with you there on the anxiety, even right before beginning a practice test!

My timing was also abhorrent, and I was always second-guessing myself on things I should've picked and moved on. The strategy you do when you practice on tests vs. practicing on sets may, and for me often is, different. One thing I'd recommend incorporating to help you get better timing results from practice sets --> practice tests is the confidence drill.

Check out this post by some of the previous "masters" (scroll to Sami's/Cant Get Right's comments): https://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/comment/72803

You'll learn how to calibrate your "confidence" level, and when you practice that enough, you should be able to transfer that skill over to PTs as well.

For what it's worth, I do give every question/accompanying answer choice a fair shake on the "1st round" of seeing the questions. Doesn't mean I spend 2 minutes trying to answer each of them, but I move through the STIM in a methodical, thoughtful way, at least trying to understand what it's saying, which is often and quite literally half the battle, if not more.

Even if I can't choose an answer, or choose it with the confidence I'm comfortable with, the 1st time, having the exposure of seeing the content and letting your brain spin its gears a little is a "mini-warmup" so that when you have built enough time in to have time leftover at the end of the section on PTs (trust me, you can get there!!), seeing that troubling question the 2nd time, you're not starting from ground 0. Yeah, you might have forgotten some of the content, but you'd be surprised at (1) how quickly you'll be able to pick it up again and (2) the insights you'll be met with that just "weren't there" the 1st time.

I think psychologically, this might be partly because "the newness" factor has been stripped away, and often we can see patterns we know we're familiar with more clearly and for what they are.

Happy studies! You got this!

• 571 karma

@"Lime Green Dot" In terms of the confidence strategy, do you mean to complete the entirety of the question, flag it if I am not confident, and return to the question later? As opposed to spending an unwarranted amount of time on the questions I have least confidence in. Thank you for the reply!

• 375 karma

To combat my timing anxiety, I hide the timer during LR and it helps me tremendously to slow down and methodically answer questions. I periodically check it to make sure I'm not moving too slowly, though.