Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Reading material suggestions?

Hello! Curious to know what people are reading to prep for the range of passages on the RC? Specifically science, law, history type passages.
I know the New Yorker, Economist, are suggested — anything else? (E.g. Longform articles)

Comments

• giulia.pinesgiulia.pines Member
    466 karma

Honestly, I am a journalist with 10+ years of experience who was an English major in college and I read a ton of material all the time and ... RC is a lot harder for me than I expected.

I know this isn't the answer you're looking for, but I really think the only real way to train yourself for RC is to read more RC. That's because these passages are so intentionally dense/complex/vague/weird that even with an outstanding vocabulary, excellent reading skills, etc. you might not do well on them.

• yang9999yang9999 Core Member
    419 karma
  • canihazJDcanihazJD Alum Member Sage
    8313 karma

@"giulia.pines" said:
    Honestly, I am a journalist with 10+ years of experience who was an English major in college and I read a ton of material all the time and ... RC is a lot harder for me than I expected.

I know this isn't the answer you're looking for, but I really think the only real way to train yourself for RC is to read more RC. That's because these passages are so intentionally dense/complex/vague/weird that even with an outstanding vocabulary, excellent reading skills, etc. you might not do well on them.

Concur. magazines like the Economist, Atlantic, New Yorker, etc. while they may be dense, are still written to be... readable. RC passages are created by taking source material and changing it specifically to be, oversimplified, hard to read. Nothing is going to be more representative than other RC passages. There are hundreds of them... if you haven't seen them all, why would you use anything else?

• 180energyonly180energyonly Member
    122 karma

@canihazJD said:

@"giulia.pines" said:

Concur. magazines like the Economist, Atlantic, New Yorker, etc. while they may be dense, are still written to be... readable. RC passages are created by taking source material and changing it specifically to be, oversimplified, hard to read. Nothing is going to be more representative than other RC passages. There are hundreds of them... if you haven't seen them all, why would you use anything else?

Thanks so much! This is helpful as I wasn't sure if there was a source out there representative of the RC.

122 karma

@"giulia.pines" said:

Thanks! I'm also a journalist - and I guess the number one goal of any journalist is to make a story understandable, which isn't always the case with the RC. Appreciate it!

122 karma

Ooo thank you