Second-career law-school hopefuls: academic recs?

Hi all,

This is a weird question, I'll admit, for a weird subset of people. I'm a second-career law-school hopeful (36 years old). While it's still months away, I was musing with a friend the other day that I'd need to get back in touch with my college professors and ask them for recommendations. She seemed absolutely SHOCKED by this and said I shouldn't bother, because college is too far behind me. I should only get recent professional recommendations.

My impression was that a mix is best, and really I should have at least one college rec, even if I graduated 13 years ago. This may be easier for me then most because I actually had three professors write me letters back then (for a grad program I ended up not doing). Getting recs from them would just involve checking in, saying hi, asking if they want to update it in any way, and having them resend it.

But IS THIS WEIRD? Will law schools be like "what the heck is she doing getting a recommendation from 13 years ago she could have become a serial killer in the meantime"? I would of course supplement with a couple of more recent recommendations from people I've worked with/for.

Any and all insight appreciated. Thanks!
Giulia

Comments

• sarakimmelsarakimmel Member
    1488 karma

Hi Guilia,
    I am 43 and went through the same back-and-forth. After discussions with MANY adcomms, their advice was uniform that you should get your letters from sources who know you best and can attest to your readiness and aptitude for law school. An academic referral from a professor you haven't spoken with in 10+ years will not tell law schools much qualitatively, which is what they are looking. Now, if you have professors with which you have remained in contact over the years, that would be different, but again, the most important thing is that your referrer know you and that that comes across in their letter.
    I was self employed and have been out of college for nearly 20 years, they told me that clients, vendors, etc are all acceptable sources. Best of luck!

• giulia.pinesgiulia.pines Member
    466 karma

@sarakimmel Thanks so much! I too am self-employed and have lived in two different countries, so I'll admit I'm struggling with this. May I ask how many recs you ended up with, and from whom (just generally)?

• canihazJDcanihazJD Alum Member Sage
    edited May 2021 8313 karma

I just took some classes, giving me recent indication of academic performance, and from the start let the professor know what my intentions were.... had letters secured before the classes even ended. I also was able to reach back out to previous professors and renew those relationships. These approaches are common in non-trad med school apps where you need recs from science professors... I know a certain former attorney turned adcom turned admissions consultant turned medical student that did this.

I ended up with several letters but only ended up using 3 – a recent academic one, an old one, and one professional. You can definitely use recs from your old professors if they are able to base them on both your academic performance and current opinion of your capabilities. If not, professional recs are fine. Your app should make it apparent why your lors are exclusively professional anyway. Strength of the letter matters much more than source.

• sarakimmelsarakimmel Member
    1488 karma

I got two strong recs from long-time previous clients. I will likely being asking a current client of mine, an attorney, with whom I have been working for the past 2+ years for one additional rec, as the Adcomm feedback indicated that it can be especially helpful to get an endorsement of someone who has been through law school and can attest to your aptitude in the field from their experience. Best of luck!

• SupernoviceSupernovice Alum Member
    323 karma

I will echo Sara's sentiments. She and I are nearly the same age. I hadn't been to a proper classroom in 22.5 years when I decided to go to law school. No idea if my professors from undergrad are even living these days. I had 4 recommendation letters (pretty much the max for most schools, no?) and none of them were from undergrad professors. I had 2 from past supervisors and 2 from colleagues who are lawyers. I applied to only one school and was accepted right away. Still waiting on grades for this semester that just ended, but I should graduate after next semester.

I wouldn't go digging for old recommendations from professors I have not known for many years. There is something about that that seems just.... I dunno.... Weird. You are a totally different person now than you were then. More than 10+ years? No. Most people wouldn't even have that option--but as you mentioned, you have the prior LORs for grad school. Still, put yourself in their position. How comfortable would you be writing a LOR and staking your reputation on the performance of someone you haven't been in contact with for 10 years? If I were the professor, that would put me in a moral dilemma and I would feel very uncomfortable--either way. Either I am taking a risk that you're still the same person, or I have to risk disappointing you and telling you I can no longer stand by this recommendation I once made and hurt your feelings. It's not fair.

• giulia.pinesgiulia.pines Member
    466 karma

@Supernovice I totally get what you're saying. The only reason I would even consider professors is that a couple of them I have been in touch with in the intervening years, and since I still live in NYC and so do they, it would be a fairly simple proposition to meet up for coffee and get reacquainted. But you've all convinced me I should stick to more recent ones and I will. Thank you for your advice!