Personal Statement --Addiction/Substance Abuse

2xShihTzuDad2xShihTzuDad Core Member

I am considering talking about my struggle with--and recovery from--addiction in my personal statement. I am 11 years into recovery with an academic record that reflects this: I had 2 semesters of sub2.5 gpa when I was 18 followed by a 3 year gap. But then at 21 I began treatment and at 22 I returned to school and got straight As and -A's through undergrad and graduate school, along with some moderate professional success.

Addiction is a big part of my personal story, but there is nothing in my record (disciplinary action, arrests, DUI's) that would require me to disclose this fact about myself. So, I'm a little torn. Do I needlessly risk being potentially judged negatively for my past struggle with addiction or does my 11 years of continuous recovery speak to the fact that my past with addiction is not a liability (and perhaps an asset) ?

Comments

• edited May 2021 55 karma

I believe your overcoming your addiction shows strength of character and that as long as you discuss it in that manner it will be looked at as an asset. I have some things in my past that I will use in my personal statement, though I have to disclose mine, I believe it will turn in my favor as it made me stronger and more adaptable, which is useful in the field of law.

• bananabobananabo Core Member
    1211 karma

@2xShihTzuDad said:
    I had 2 semesters of sub2.5 gpa when I was 18 followed by a 3 year gap. But then at 21 I began treatment and at 22 I returned to school and got straight As and -A's through undergrad and graduate school, along with some moderate professional success.

I think this information could be written in an addendum.

But overall, I don't think writing about addiction/substance abuse would be seen as a bad thing, or would open up the risk of judgment. I think that it is a powerful topic to write about. Just make sure to focus on how your experiences will help you contribute to law school/the legal field. Good luck! :smile:

• 219 karma

My word, congratulations! That is a big deal. You've earned the right to approach this part of your story with strength. A question though, in real life, do you avoid the topic/approach it with any shame or embarrassment? Or, do you use the power of it for some good in your own life or others? I hope you view this part of you with strength, because there is nothing about it that makes you any more of a flawed applicant than any single one of the rest of us. We all fall short of any glory. How you see yourself is everything - You get to frame your narrative. You've taken something hard, you beat the thing, then turned it into something life-altering and remarkable. That makes you stand out.

Addendum, or crux of personal statement: It's something to think through. If a personal statement showcases your personality, did the depths of addiction and later, sobriety, change you into who you are today? If a personal statement expresses experiences that made you pursue law, did overcoming addiction cause you to chart your path from there to here? If a personal statement demonstrates how you will make a great addition to an incoming class, can you positively, persuasively emphasize how your experience does just that? Do you know how relatable this could be with people who are experiencing failures in life that lead them before judges and juries? Can you speak to growth and empathy?

If it makes you feel more confident about the choice, maybe write two. Write one on something else that feels competent, and one with this narrative. Give both to an admissions advisor and see what he or she says. I think there's something to be said about integrating all the parts of your life, leaving no dissonance between the personal and the professional. Addendum or PS, it must be addressed, because of the grades and 3 year gap in undergrad. Either way, I see battle-tested strength, personal courage, and grit. I bet others will too.

• 28 karma

First, amazing job with the sobriety!

Is it lawyer-like to begin talking about your personal life when you're trying to make a stellar first impression? Even if you frame it in a way that makes you look good, its still unnecessary and unprofessional. With regards to that time off from school (which I went through, too, switching schools 3x due to personal issues), all you have to say is "It took me some time to mature and grow up, which is why it took me longer to graduate." That is literally all you have to say, and its very respectable.

Not everybody will be as supportive of your journey as they are in your support system... trust me, I know from personal experience.

• 2xShihTzuDad2xShihTzuDad Core Member
    11 karma

Thank you everyone for your comments and support !

• LSATcantwinLSATcantwin Alum Member Sage
    13286 karma

My personal statement was about quitting my cigarette addiction.

While the comparison isn’t that strong, because what you’ve done is far more amazing than quitting smoking, there are some really impactful themes that this topic (in my opinion) can get across to the admissions people.

1.) you are self-aware enough to identify your own weaknesses, and able to address them.

2.) you are focused and driven to achieve a goal that is physiologically against you. Nothing about this was/is easy.

3.) you are not afraid to seek help from others when you know there is a weakness you need addressed.

4.) you are willing to tackle the unknown and are able to handle any setbacks hurdles that come your way.

All of these traits matter in law school, and frankly in life. If the statement is written well I think it’s perfect. I actually disagree with some of the statements above - everyone will be supportive of your journey.

There is nothing unnecessary or unprofessional about turning your life around and improving yourself. The whole point of a personal statement is to get across who you are to the admissions people. And in fact it shows your strength of character. I unfortunately completely disagree with @"jesse.k.sachs"