Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Doing LG First?

FirstGenProblemsFirstGenProblems Core Member
edited May 2021 in General 18 karma

Hey guys, Im having a lot of trouble with Logical Reasoning so I got the loophole and powerscore book to read. Im following the 7Sage syllabus and Im in the middle of the Validity and Must Be True sections. However, I want to read these books first and then finish the 7sage LR. Do you guys think it would be ok if I skip down to Logic Games while I read these books? Im not really sure if Im going to be missing information from LR that I need in LG. Thanks everyone!

Comments

• PFT CommenterPFT Commenter Core Member
    249 karma

you definitely need to do the lawgic sections of LR curriculum at the very least before moving onto LG. From what I've read in forums and from personal experience, going through the CC in order is best approach.

• sarakimmelsarakimmel Member
    1488 karma

Something to keep in mind: the process recommended by 7Sage, Loophole and the Bibles are all pretty different from each other. I would recommend sticking with the CC first (JY does an excellent job of breaking down the basics), then consider using Loophole as an extension to that knowledge base, you will probably get more out of it that way.
    I read Loophole first and I don't think I got much out of it as a primary source of information, it is just too dense and opaque until you have a better understanding of the LSAT.
    The Powerscore Bible (I assume you are talking about their games Bible?) is, again, really different from the 7Sage process, they are a lot clunkier and more complicated in their diagramming. In my humble opinion, 7Sage just does a better job at this.
    There is definitely value in learning different methodologies, you never know what will work best for you, but I would stick with one, see it though, then explore other sources as needed. Just my $0.02.
    Good luck!

• andrew.rsnandrew.rsn Alum Member
    831 karma

I had the same thought and decided to supplement the Core curriculum with Loophole. I would definitely agree that you should finish at least the LR portion of the core curriculum (don't feel like you need to do all of the problem sets) but at least have gone through all the types. Then move onto Logic Games - and start supplementing the Loophole then. I think the Loophole has a lot of interesting/innovative processes that are unlike anything on 7sage. You have to really dedicate a lot of time to it though to get the full effect, especially when it comes to the Translation drills. I haven't used the Powerscore books, but I think that 7sage and Loophole is plenty. For every book you read that's just one more perspective you're getting and sometimes too many perspectives can make things even more confusing.

• Mark D33Mark D33 Member
    20 karma

Just my 2 cents...

I think learning the "theory" behind LR is a bit overrated. JY does a good job of outlining the basics which i think is more than enough. I've read the LSAT Trainer, Loophole, Powerscore, and the 7 Sage course (yea, i've taken the LSAT wayyyy to many times). And in my experience, these don't help too much.

What's most helpful is to just drill non stop. Learn the basics from 7sage if you want, the other sources are fine too, but then just retain that and start drilling. Do multiple practice sections of LR, then look at the analytics to where you're struggling. what question types and such. Then just keep drilling those.

To me, this is where the gains are. Maybe it's just my learning style, but i personally don't believe the "theory" is super helpful beyond the basics. You've gotta jump in there and just start doing them. Good thing there are like 90 plus tests, so just carve out tests 1-60 for drilling. And those 60 and up as full practice tests.

• FirstGenProblemsFirstGenProblems Core Member
    18 karma

Thanks everyone! Im still figuring out how to study and what works best for me so Im going to stick with the 7sage syllabus for now and then add/switch things up if I need it. I really appreciate all your feedback.

• 123anami123anami Member
    388 karma

I had the same questions as you when I started cause I did (and finished) LSAT Trainer first - and my advice would echo everyone else's since I didn't feel full mastery over LG until I've gone through JY's LR/general logic/lawgic lessons. It's seriously thorough. If you need an extra boost after, then I'd recommend other resources to back you up.