BR - LR Strategy

Hi 7Sagers,

I am contemplating taking on a new review strategy that I have yet to see others suggest. During our BR, JY suggests that we review and intensively critique our answers for questions that we are not 100% confident in. I think I may take this a step further. I am considering opening a word document beside my answers and writing out why that answer is justified. I think this would FORCE me to review these questions in-depth, rather than idly passing by questions just so I can see my results.

Any ideas on how to refine this or create a separate strategy with similar intentions would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• sarakimmelsarakimmel Member
    edited May 2021 1488 karma

Hi there! I have started doing this to the nth degree. It is "painfully tedious" by design, but is the best way to really extract all the useful info from sections and PTs you've completed. It also helps with seeing patterns in the stimuli and ACs. Happy to share more info on process if you're interested!

• edited May 2021 540 karma

This is something that I was doing for a while as well. I would suggest though to reserve this for the most important questions, where you can maximize the return on investment. Previously, I tried to do this for every single flagged question on LR. Depending on your study schedule, you may end up having to spend a lot of your precious time doing busy work. For me, this took so long that I spent most of my week doing blind review...

Now, I try to verbalize some of the questions during BR--particularly the ones that are giving me the most trouble. Similar effect as what you suggest, but a slightly different way of going about it. Whatever method you decide on, try it out and ask yourself whether you are maximizing your study time prior to the next PT. As @"Quick Silver" likes to say, do not let the "perfect" be the enemy of the "good."

• 571 karma

@sarakimmel @"Forever Addicted to Coffee"

I could definitely see this becoming a a time-consuming activity. Maybe a possible alternative would be to limit the number of sentences that I write out (3-5 sentences)? Also, like @"Forever Addicted to Coffee" mentioned, prioritizing the most difficult questions may be the best approach for time conservation.

• 540 karma

@aaronbenjaminwilson said:
    @sarakimmel @"Forever Addicted to Coffee"

I could definitely see this becoming a a time-consuming activity. Maybe a possible alternative would be to limit the number of sentences that I write out (3-5 sentences)? Also, like @"Forever Addicted to Coffee" mentioned, prioritizing the most difficult questions may be the best approach for time conservation.

That could be a good idea. Try and experiment on it. As long as you work up to your general principle of maximizing the gains from your study, there can be variance in how one can do BR. I hope this helps!

• sarakimmelsarakimmel Member
    1488 karma

Having a BR study buddy can also be a viable alternative or even compliment. Having to articulate your reasoning to another person is less tedious but accomplishes the same goal. You also get the opportunity to explain things that your might buddy not see as clearly as you do and vice versa. Lots of options! Regardless of what you choose, just be sure you are getting to the root of why you missed the questions you missed so you can address it in your PT process. Were you falling for trap answers on NA, looking for SA, etc. Happy studying!

• firstgenlaw-1firstgenlaw-1 Member
    245 karma

I have been doing this technique with my LR sections and it really helps! I have a "Wrong Answers" excel sheet where I type the following in different columns: question type (weakening, MSS, etc.) the stimulus, question stem, answer I chose, correct AC, why my choice was wrong, why the right choice is right, tip for the future with this type of question. I fill out as much as I can before watching the explanation video from JY but sometimes I need to watch the video if I can't get it on my own. It is a painfully tedious process, but it WORKS. Also, I create problems sets from my wrong answers which helps solidify my understanding. It is time consuming so also make sure you work that into your timeline. I've been doing this for months and have seen significant improvement but it all depends on you and if it helps you without taking up too much time. I hope that helps some, it isn't for everyone but it sure has helped me!

• WoodsCommaElleWoodsCommaElle Live Member
    399 karma

I do the same thing as @jhern322 ! The categories really help me structure my thoughts during BR so I don't start rambling unproductively - an extra bonus is that you can check out the notes you made in the wrong answer excel sheet to remind yourself before you do another drill or PT :)