Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would taking the October LSAT be too late for this cycle?

danvgoddanvgod Member
in General 32 karma

I'm currently registered for the June LSAT (first registration with preview), and since I'm an international, I cannot postpone to the August LSAT, as it is only for US. My PTs have been averaging around the mid 160s but I do want to aim higher. Based on what I know, the best time to apply to law schools is around October, and taking it on October means that I would be receiving my score on November. Would I be at a great disadvantage to be applying a bit later, i.e. November? Should I take the June and see how it goes and take it again on October? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• tahurrrrrtahurrrrr Member
    1106 karma

I'm in the same boat as you taking it overseas!

I'm taking it in June exactly because the next chance wouldn't be until October. While I may be more confident in my abilities by waiting til October, I think I'd be missing out on a potential chance to apply as early as possible if I don't take the June exam. If you're mid 160s and there are still a couple weeks left, with a rigorous study routine for the next couple weeks, you may pull off the score you want. Worst case, you have to take it in October again, but you've experienced the test and can maybe manage your nerves better than the first time you took it. Best case you get the score you want and can focus on the other parts of your application.

1106 karma

Also from what I've gathered (though maybe someone else has a more well-informed understanding than me) as long as you apply before December, your chances should still be pretty good.

• Elle KoodsElle Koods Member
    134 karma

Hello, am I misunderstood that technically different test locations should not prevent one from taking the U.S. test, as it is FLEX? it will be inconvenient time difference tho.

1106 karma

I asked LSAC directly. You can only take tests in your region. So if you're not in the US, you can't take US tests.

• danvgoddanvgod Member
    32 karma

@tahurrrrr said:
    I'm in the same boat as you taking it overseas!

I'm taking it in June exactly because the next chance wouldn't be until October. While I may be more confident in my abilities by waiting til October, I think I'd be missing out on a potential chance to apply as early as possible if I don't take the June exam. If you're mid 160s and there are still a couple weeks left, with a rigorous study routine for the next couple weeks, you may pull off the score you want. Worst case, you have to take it in October again, but you've experienced the test and can maybe manage your nerves better than the first time you took it. Best case you get the score you want and can focus on the other parts of your application.

Thank you so much for your input! I guess I should focus on PTing rigorously and just take it in June and see how it goes. Very comforting to know that there are others in the same situation. Good luck to both of us on the June LSAT!

• danvgoddanvgod Member
    32 karma

@tahurrrrr said:
    I asked LSAC directly. You can only take tests in your region. So if you're not in the US, you can't take US tests.

I also called them directly and they told me specifically that it "isn't allowed" to take an exam that isn't meant for internationals (i.e. change the test center to US and take it anyway even though you are geographically elsewhere) :(

• mellomelmellomel Alum Member
    292 karma

Hey, I'm on the same boat! I'm also scoring in the mid/high 160's with an eye for the 170's. I would say with where you're currently scoring, there's no reason why you can't improve till test day with the right state of mind. I also remember reading about plenty of people scoring their highest on the real thing so fingers crossed!!

I'm definitely considering October as a back up like you, and while it's not ideal to re-take, I think it's comforting to know that you have another chance. Personally I don't think November is too late either. Also we can always apply to schools with our June scores and tell them upfront that we're also registered for October. And hopefully with a score jump we'll be in a better position afterwards. At least this is what feels reasonable to me right now but I'd appreciate it if anyone commented on whether this look like a sound plan :)

Also is it just me or is it really unfair that we don't get an April take. It's going to be an online test so I don't see why they wouldn't give us the same opportunity...

• valeriehevaleriehe Member
    148 karma

There are still 18ish days left. If you use the time wisely, you could score 170+. Additionally, I talked to former admission officers and they all said the best time to apply is before Thanksgiving. So October test will work.

• danvgoddanvgod Member
    32 karma

Thanks everyone for the input! It really is just time to study like a demon :)