Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Reading Comprehension Help

Hey all, I’m sure there’s a ton of questions like this on the forum but I haven’t quite found anything that really helps.

I’m currently getting about -8/-10 wrong on reading comprehension and scoring in the mid 160’s. Does anyone have any advice on how to lower that number to maybe -4/-5?

For context, I usually blind review my practice tests with a fresh copy, look for structure and make notes (all that jazz) but I’m not sure what else I can do to improve this number. I started doing untimed reading comprehension passages just for practice and I can tell I’m noticing trends but still getting about -2 per passage so still -8 in total but any advice would be appreciated!

Comments

• edited May 2021 79 karma

Definitely readspeeder and the book "Speed Reading with the Right Brain: Learn to Read Ideas Instead of Just Words" I just got the book, and the program is free and they have helped me with reading speed and comprehension a ton. I wish I would have gotten them when I started studying lol. This Reddit post actually helped me a lot. https://www.reddit.com/r/LSAT/comments/balthx/unconventional_rc_advice_from_someone_who_went/

• sakahn12sakahn12 Member
    32 karma

Thank you going to check that out now!

• clear227clear227 Core Member
    350 karma

Try pre-phrasing the answers, just like in LR. Read stimulus, imagine answer, scan choices for your answer.

• sarahblairsarahblair Core Member
    604 karma

Hi! So, I was experiencing a similar issue a month back or so. As you mentioned, untimed tests really helped me. I saw a post about a certain technique where you read the passage and then write out a low resolution summary, summary of P1, P2, P3, etc. The post also suggested writing down different points of view and stuff. I personally have been doing RC passages writing down low res. summary and summary of the paragraphs and it has really helped. I've been doing this until I get -0/-1 on the passages. I think pre-phrasing helps too, as mentioned above, but doesn't really work for me if I don't have extremely fine-tuned knowledge of the passage and specific question being asked. When I do my summaries I oftentimes don't have to look back in the passage for help answering the questions which is a plus!

• sakahn12sakahn12 Member
    32 karma

Thank you both! It sucks because as you said if I understand the passage fairly well I can go into the answer choices with a pre-phrased answer other times it’s a lost cause.

I used to write low res summaries for every paragraph and then as I kept progressing stoped since I thought it was making me waste time. However, I did try going back to writing low res summaries for each paragraph and I think that helped. I took a pt yesterday and it was only -7 which isn’t a lot lower but hey I’ll take what I can get :) so maybe that is the problem after all!